Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 09:42 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,183,718 times

Advertisements

Unpaid overtime sounds awful (unless it is compensated for).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2013, 12:08 PM

255 posts, read 926,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography Freak View Post
Official working hours have little to do with real working hours. Unpaid overtime is pair for the course in many countries.
I can speak for myself and say I have never worked overtime that was unpaid.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:20 PM

368 posts, read 395,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
As an American from Colorado, the few people I see smoking cigarettes tend to be older folks. Younger people in high school or college by and large do not smoke cigarettes (marijuana is a different story). I think the younger generations don't see smoking cigarettes as cool anymore. Yet in Europe, especially Eastern Europe, it seems that smoking cigarettes is much more prevalent. Does anybody know why?
Colorado is one of the healthiest and fittest states in US. As far as smoking goes, I'd bet that West Virginia and Kentucky in particular are worse off than anyplace in Europe. That being said, as marijuana is now legal in Colorado, why smoke cigarettes there when you can get the "good stuff?"

Old 04-06-2013, 02:42 AM

5 posts, read 6,042 times
I can give an opinion on what I see myself.
I have many friends (during school) have tried cigarettes in their youth (11-14 years) due to show off (smoking is cool, and so on). In this position a bad end, as I did not know people who in 23 years do not want to quit. Although of my friends are smoking only 1.

Old 04-06-2013, 09:49 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,470,032 times
Just came from Paris and was blown away by the amount of smoking I saw. It was everywhere. In Spain now and it is less but still way more than I am used to in California where if you smoke you are an outcast. We saw a group of 20 young kids on lunch break from school and they were all smoking cigs... 13 year old kids! In the US people would be screaming at them. It's clearly a cultural thing and I was very surprised to see so many young people smoking.

Old 04-06-2013, 10:26 AM

5 posts, read 6,042 times
Quote:
all smoking cigs... 13 year old kids!
This is not worst. That's when smoke was 5 years old - that's scary. My grandfather smoked with that age, for example. Truth and lived for more than 55 years and did not die because of cigarettes.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:07 AM

5,206 posts, read 4,668,615 times
I have no research to back this up but do you think this is really just a cultural thing? Maybe I've watched too much Mad Men and my mind tends to work this way. Maybe the with the success of the anti smoking movement and vilification of cigarettes in general in America, the tobacco companies decided to focus their advertising dollars in Eastern Europe. Maybe they've created a highly effective campaign that speaks to the youths of these new democracies. The prevailing social attitudes in these former Communist block countries may be similar to what the US had in the 60s. It may take a few decades before they too realize smoking is a killer and does not make you cool.

Old 04-23-2013, 02:25 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,212,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FightForFreedom View Post
People are actually letting this go? It's so ignorant and incorrect.

Europe has been a better place to live than the USA for ten or twenty years, had better infrastructure for nearly three decades, better disposable income (with the average healthcare taken out from US that's typical over there), etc.

Smoking is popular in Europe because it just is. It happened. There's no reason why, really.
I love Europe dont get me wrong, but saying Europe is a better place to live than america is ignorant.

Old 04-23-2013, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
The uk is on its own. Thats why I hate it when americans group us up with europe because we dont do half the things they do. Like we dont have siestas and we are just as worked off as americans.

Nonody hardly smokes here anymore, it is only really old people.
GOSH we americans cant know everything we never lived their how would we know that england doesnt have siestas?

Old 04-23-2013, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
Well...

Smoking is still quite common in the United States.

"...An estimated 45.3 million people, or 19.3% of all adults (aged 18 years or older), in the United States smoke cigarettes..."

Source
Well you see its different in percentages when doing a country with 300 million people and comapring it to countries like the Netherlands or France. Anyway i would call the common, i would say a few in which we all been saying except you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe