Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 08:43 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,435,707 times

Advertisements

I finally watched the whole documentary. That's just crazy. I never knew that was going on. I wondered what Europe had against the Roma-Gypsies but wow. That's all I can say. Puts the whole illegal immigrant thing in a whole new light for us Americans. At least ours look for work when they get here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2013, 12:38 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,877,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamosgp View Post
It's been a massive problem for years in places like Greece and Italy.
We saw this in Paris in the early 80's.
I taught my wife and daughters to carry their purses in a specific way.
Short strap, purse in front of stomach, zippered up, fold arms over purse.

Old 04-20-2013, 10:33 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,137,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
We saw this in Paris in the early 80's.
I taught my wife and daughters to carry their purses in a specific way.
Short strap, purse in front of stomach, zippered up, fold arms over purse.
When we visited France we didn't have any confrontations until after leaving the Louvre. We were tired so we sat down on the lawn in the park next to the Louvre. An older, quite attractive gypsy came around with a card in English, asking for money. You tour guide gave us instructions on what to do when confronted by gypsys, -never pull out your wallet. We ignored the gypsy so she just walked away. However when we got down to Nice, at night our tour bus was driving along the boulavard that followed the beach with all the tourist hotels on the opposite side. The sidewalk was all lined up with prostitutes. The tour guide told us these prostitutes were slaves to the gypsy mafia. Slavery still exists and is all over Europe. I can't imagine what would happen to a tourist who would invite a gypsy prosititue into his room, he's asking for real trouble.

Old 04-20-2013, 05:22 PM

102,255 posts, read 108,199,089 times
If it's known they're slaves, why aren't there organizations rescuing the girls, and police doing something to shut down the traffickers? Why aren't any of the bystanders and passers-by who witness the kids trying to grab purses or pick pockets reacting? All people have to do is call the police from a cellphone. The thief wouldn't even know. For all the supposed fuss over this, no one really seems to care. Look at the indifference the public is displaying as they watch these incidents.

Before the EU, the thieves in France were French. I don't remember there being such a hue-and-cry about the homegrown thieves back then.

Old 04-20-2013, 05:28 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,536,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinylly View Post
The Gypsy problem is reported to have gotten very bad. Here's how they opperate:

Gypsy Child Thieves (BBC Documentary) - YouTube
I aint scared of no Gypsies....

Old 04-20-2013, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
If it's known they're slaves, why aren't there organizations rescuing the girls, and police doing something to shut down the traffickers? Why aren't any of the bystanders and passers-by who witness the kids trying to grab purses or pick pockets reacting? All people have to do is call the police from a cellphone. The thief wouldn't even know. For all the supposed fuss over this, no one really seems to care. Look at the indifference the public is displaying as they watch these incidents.

Before the EU, the thieves in France were French. I don't remember there being such a hue-and-cry about the homegrown thieves back then.
Europeans in general seem more passive than Americans. I was sort of wondering a little of the same thing. I know in the US you had better not get closer than 10 feet of someone at a cash machine.

As far as dealing with it; don't know how much of the documentary you watched but in Spain's case the laws don't seem to be written with minors in mind. They don't seem to have a juvenile code like we do. The children were released back to the very adults in many cases who put them up to it. Here at the very least the adults would be held responsible and depending on the severity of the crime, the children would be held in a juvenile detention center. This just simply didn't seem to exist in Spain from what I gathered.

Old 04-20-2013, 06:27 PM

102,255 posts, read 108,199,089 times
I guess the reason no one sees thievery and begging in Romania is that it's not lucrative. There's more money to be made shipping people abroad...?

P.S. Gentoo--thx. Helpful thoughts. Seattle has a special school for gypsy kids. You can spot the gypsy houses in Seattle; they have high laurel hedges behind which a number of broken down cars and trailers hide. I see them all over town. Never seen anything like that in California, though.

Old 04-20-2013, 06:49 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,568,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I aint scared of no Gypsies....
Exactly, they're actually more scared by you than you by them, but like all people living in Balkans and Orient, they have some sort of practical psychology, can detect your fear and exploit it.

Quote:
I guess the reason no one sees thievery and begging in Romania is that it's not lucrative. There's more money to be made shipping people abroad...?
Is also because in Romania police and people know their tricks and can't have so much success.

Also, is the mirage of living abroad, Roma, as all people living in Romania, have been forbidden travelling outside during communism and developed an obsession with this.

Old 04-20-2013, 07:37 PM

Quote:

P.S. Gentoo--thx. Helpful thoughts. Seattle has a special school for gypsy kids. You can spot the gypsy houses in Seattle; they have high laurel hedges behind which a number of broken down cars and trailers hide. I see them all over town. Never seen anything like that in California, though.
The Gypsy-Roma quite likely blend in better here. San Francisco is also supposed to have a high number of Gypsies. I read that they generally don't share their ethnic identity with outsiders in the US stating that they're Lebanese or something. The US too had laws discriminating against them at one time. I think they fair better here than in Europe and it's also much easier for them to blend in as they could pass for Middle Eastern or Hispanic.

Old 04-20-2013, 07:50 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,536,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
The Gypsy-Roma quite likely blend in better here. San Francisco is also supposed to have a high number of Gypsies. I read that they generally don't share their ethnic identity with outsiders in the US stating that they're Lebanese or something. The US too had laws discriminating against them at one time. I think they fair better here than in Europe and it's also much easier for them to blend in as they could pass for Middle Eastern or Hispanic.
Is there alot of Roma people in the United States?
Not Irish travelers but Roma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe