Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2013, 05:00 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,032,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
Common language. That's all there is to it.

How can you use a definition of Anglosphere that says "...where English cultural values predominate" to prove that Anglo culture comes from all Anglo nations, not just the UK?

Britain does not seem exceptionally distant to Europeans, this separation is entirely one-sided. This is exactly why the British attitude to the EU causes so much friction in the rest of Europe; people don't understand why Britain won't just cooperate like other Member States.
Incidently you say its just the language but language doesn't seem to stop European countries watching Hollywood films or listening to the Beatles does it? So why would that stop Britain or Australia or the US from listening to French pop music??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 05:01 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,244,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I am suggesting a reason why!! Its because Britain's feel closer to the Anglo world than they do to Europe!! Im British I can see this! If you have a better suggestion why I would like to hear it!!
I'm sure many Britons feel closer to the Anglo world than they do to the rest of Europe; that doesn't mean their perceptions are correct. Like I said, the people who feel this way choose to focus on the similarities with other Anglo countries and the differences to other European countries.

Old 09-03-2013, 05:13 PM

Quote:
I'm sure many Britons feel closer to the Anglo world than they do to the rest of Europe; that doesn't mean their perceptions are correct. Like I said, the people who feel this way choose to focus on the similarities with other Anglo countries and the differences to other European countries.
But they are correct because they are closer to the Anglo world than they are to the rest of Europe! In Britain we watch Australian soaps, we listen to American music, we watch Canadian films, we play Cricket against Austrialia (the Ashes anyone? The biggest sporting event in the UK over the Summer) we don't watch any Euro tv , we watch very little Euro films and don't listen to French pop music! Yes were European, yes we have imported some culture from European countries but nothing like what we import from the Anglo world. Why do you think that is?? Its not because Anglo music is better so why??

Old 09-03-2013, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Incidently you say its just the language but language doesn't seem to stop European countries watching Hollywood films or listening to the Beatles does it? So why would that stop Britain or Australia or the US from listening to French pop music??
Because English is the language of the main global superpower today. Many people around the world speak English (or want to speak it) and are therefore more open to music and movies in English. Also, Hollywood movies often have much bigger budgets than European movies so certain types of movies (e.g. action or science fiction) are simply considered 'better' when they're made in Hollywood.

I can assure you that when France was top dog, plenty of people throughout Europe were learning French and were interested in French culture - including Britons

Old 09-03-2013, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Because English is the language of the main global superpower today. Many people around the world speak English (or want to speak it) and are therefore more open to music and movies in English. Also, Hollywood movies often have much bigger budgets than European movies so certain types of movies (e.g. action or science fiction) are simply considered 'better' when they're made in Hollywood.

I can assure you that when France was top dog, plenty of people throughout Europe were learning French and were interested in French culture - including Britons
But this doesn't explain why there are so many English films, music, TV actors and actresses going the other way to the US does it? Why is British music so popular in the US and not say Spanish if its not cultural links??

Old 09-03-2013, 05:28 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,594,102 times
Quote:
But they are correct because they are closer to the Anglo world than they are to the rest of Europe! In Britain we watch Australian soaps, we listen to American music, we watch Canadian films, we play Cricket against Austrialia (the Ashes anyone? The biggest sporting event in the UK over the Summer) we don't watch any Euro tv , we watch very little Euro films and don't listen to French pop music! Yes were European, yes we have imported some culture from European countries but nothing like what we import from the Anglo world. Why do you think that is?? Its not because Anglo music is better so why??
Britain tends to watch TV and listen to music from other Anglo nations because it is in English. That is all. It is down to a shared language. NOTHING ELSE. When I catch glimpses of Home & Away, there is NOTHING at all familiar about it. It looks NOTHING like home, the people sound NOTHING like they do here and act in a totally different manner, with the exception of the occasional 'bloody' being inserted into everyday speech. No doubt if Britain spoke French then it'd be bombarded with French TV, film and music, but thanks to the United States being the leading superpower and No. 1 producer of music, film and TV, we're quite lucky that we don't need to learn any new language in order to watch or listen to them. This isn't a testimony to the UK being closer to the US though, because they are popular all over the world, and not just in the UK.

Likewise, lots of Brits go to the US because that's the place to go to make a name for yourself globally - once you've made it in the US, you've made it everywhere else, and again, the shared language is also a primary factor. Why do you think singers like Shakira and Robyn are so popular? Because they sing in English. It doesn't matter if they're British or not - if you sing in English, then people in the US and the UK will buy your music because they can understand your lyrics. It doesn't matter what country they come from.

As for sports - and? We also play football against other European countries but hardly ever anyone else, because football is very large in Europe but not in the US, Australia, New Zealand or Canada. Likewise, we play rugby against France and Italy. Cricket is something that is shared between Britain and its former colonies, but then nobody here is denying the strong links between the UK and its former colonies - it was at one point the world's foremost power, its influences can be felt far and wide. However, you're not really convincing anyone that the UK is closer to the other Anglo countries. Many people here would like to think that we are - because 'we're an island' or 'we had an empire at one point', or just because they speak English, that automatically means we're the same, or that Australia is the UK but with sunshine, which is a giant load of horse manure, to be frank.

You are just reiterating the same thing over and over again, it's getting boring and desperate.

Old 09-03-2013, 05:29 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,386,074 times
Quote:
I never said we couldn't have a relationship with Europe did I! I am just suggesting that the Anglosphere may have a bearing on Britains relationship with Europe the way it is right now! And if you don't believe in an Anglo culture then answer me this - why is British or Irish music, films, TV, historical legends, books, celebrities etc so much more popular in the US than other European nations? Moreso in fact than the whole of the rest of Europe put together. I say its the cultural link if you think otherwise I would be interested to hear your take on it!!?
I don't have to answer any of your question because I'm not stupid. I'm not dismissing a cultural link with the other Anglo countries not in the slightest.
BUT because of our cultural links in the Anglo countries doesn't mean we are disconnected from Europe. And don't start saying ''may'' because before you was 100% saying we are most disconnected. We are not anymore disconnected from Europe as Spain and France just another European nation in the culturally diverse continent that is Europe.

Its like talking to a brick wall...

Old 09-03-2013, 05:29 PM

Quote:
You mention cricket but what about all the European football championships that Britain participates in (Europa League, Champions League, European Championship)? Football is something Britain shares with the rest of Europe while cricket is something Britain shares with some Anglo countries, yet you choose to focus on cricket while ignoring football (which is the more popular sport). Thank you for proving my point.

The rest of Europe doesn't watch "Euro TV" and "Euro films" or listens to "Euro music" either.

Old 09-03-2013, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
I don't have to answer any of your question because I'm not stupid. I'm not dismissing a cultural link with the other Anglo countries not in the slightest.
BUT because of our cultural links in the Anglo countries doesn't mean we are disconnected from Europe. And don't start saying ''may'' because before you was 100% saying we are most disconnected. We are not anymore disconnected from Europe as Spain and France just another European nation in the culturally diverse continent that is Europe.

Its like talking to a brick wall...
I'm sorry but I have NOT said Britain is not part of Europe have I!! I has simply said Britain is closer culturally to other Anglo nations than it is to European ones I have explained why this seems to be the case and I am yet to find anybody to show me anything that suggests otherwise!

Old 09-03-2013, 05:34 PM

Quote:
But this doesn't explain why there are so many English films, music, TV actors and actresses going the other way to the US does it? Why is British music so popular in the US and not say Spanish if its not cultural links??
I give up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe