Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2013, 03:26 AM

205 posts, read 520,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
In the UK we don't watch French TV, we don't listen to French music, we don't watch French films, we don't have the same celebrities (apart from some sports stars) France has NOT been part of the British Empire, we don't share the same Royal family as the French and above all else we don't speak an identical language - I am sorry but as much as some people might dislike the idea Im afraid that just like Australia we share our culture more with other Anglo nations than we do with anybody else! Why do you think the term 'Anglosphere' exists?? Of course all countries get some cultural influence from all over the globe but for us I'm afraid the culture is the shared Anglo one - if you think Australia gets most of its culture from another place I would be interested to know from where and in what way?

Those things that you mention are ephemeral and folklorical.

Both countries share the same POP music and POP culture (mostly American).
Both countries are EEC.
Both countries are NATO
Bith countries are in Europe.

There are no Anglo nations, no Anglosphere, those are things of the past that were squashed by the Japanese and snubbed by Americans and the laughing stock for most of Europe.

Michael Caine is dead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 03:30 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,384,276 times
Quote:
Looks down on them!! Do you have any proof to back up your claim!?
Your past posts....

Old 09-03-2013, 06:06 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,029,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pardillo View Post
Those things that you mention are ephemeral and folklorical.

Both countries share the same POP music and POP culture (mostly American).
Both countries are EEC.
Both countries are NATO
Bith countries are in Europe.

There are no Anglo nations, no Anglosphere, those are things of the past that were squashed by the Japanese and snubbed by Americans and the laughing stock for most of Europe.

Michael Caine is dead.
Have you any idea just as to how popular British music has been and continues to be in the US and other Anglo countries? Have you any idea as to just how many English TV and film stars there are in the US and other Anglo countries? I dont think you do!! Yes a lot of American TV, music and films is shown accross the whole of Europe including the UK but Britain also has exported and STILL exports more of its TV, music and films to the US than the whole of the rest of Europe put together!! The same can be said of Australia, Canada, Ireland and any other Anglo country you can think of. This is a piece from the Independent newspaper:-

'American music fans have succumbed to a British invasion after figures showed that four of the five best-selling albums of the year in the Billboard charts were by UK artists.'
Adele leads the way as British acts invade US charts - News - Music - The Independent

I could list dozens of UK artists that also do well in other 'Anglo' countries probably more than 5 times as many as the whole of Europe put together. English actors from Charlie Chaplin to Hugh Laurie are aslo famous in other Anglo countries and English films like the James Bond franchise, Lord of the Rings and the Harry Potter series' are also massive in other Anglo countries - believe me the UK shares culture with the Anglo nations FAR more than Europe - there IS definately an Anglo culture.

Old 09-03-2013, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Your past posts....
Please show me where I have 'looked down upon other Europeans'???????

Old 09-03-2013, 07:14 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,589,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Your past posts....
I'm not sure if he is looking down on them, but he certainly does talk nonsense and is embarrassing himself and the other Brits who use this forum.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:58 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times
Quote:
Looks down on them!! Do you have any proof to back up your claim!?
It was a joke because you are located north of most of Europe.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I'm not sure if he is looking down on them, but he certainly does talk nonsense and is embarrassing himself and the other Brits who use this forum.
Im sorry but in what way am I 'embarrassing myself!??' I have simply said that Britiain has more in common with 'other' Anglo nations and then mentioned some points to back up my claim. I HAVE NOT at any time said the 'Anglo' culture is 'better' than any European culture, I HAVE NOT said that the UK does not have any European culture and I HAVE NOT said that Brits dislike or 'look down' upon other European nations, so lets be clear - Britain is culturally closer to other 'Anglo' nations than it is to European ones - the most powerful modern mediums are TV, Film, Music and the Internet, Britain is 'tied' to other 'Anglo' nations on all of these fronts because of a) historical reasons and probably most importantly of all b) the language. I personally don't want the UK to be in the EU (even though I can understand that benefits outweigh the negatives) HOWEVER I do NOT dislike or look down upon other European nations or their people - in fact I think 'Europe' is a wonderful place full of culture and history and many interesting things. Please tell me why this is 'nonsense'??

Old 09-03-2013, 09:10 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,589,687 times
Quote:
Im sorry but in what way am I 'embarrassing myself!??' I have simply said that Britiain has more in common with 'other' Anglo nations and then mentioned some points to back up my claim. I HAVE NOT at any time said the 'Anglo' culture is 'better' than any European culture, I HAVE NOT said that the UK does not have any European culture and I HAVE NOT said that Brits dislike or 'look down' upon other European nations, so lets be clear - Britain is culturally closer to other 'Anglo' nations than it is to European ones - the most powerful modern mediums are TV, Film, Music and the Internet, Britain is 'tied' to other 'Anglo' nations on all of these fronts because of a) historical reasons and probably most importantly of all b) the language. I personally don't want the UK to be in the EU (even though I can understand that benefits outweigh the negatives) HOWEVER I do NOT dislike or look down upon other European nations or their people - in fact I think 'Europe' is a wonderful place full of culture and history and many interesting things. Please tell me why this is 'nonsense'??
I'm not saying you look down on anyone or anything - get that out of your head. What you are saying is not 'proof' at all that Britain is culturally close to other 'Anglo' nations. Just because it is a large exporter of music and TV to the US does not mean that Britons (yes, it is spelt Britons) are culturally closer to Americans, or any other predominantly English-speaking nationalities, than they are with the Dutch, the Belgians or the Germans. Guess what - Britain exports its music and TV all over the world - England is admired in places like Sweden and Norway. Britain is at the influence of both Europe and other 'Anglo' nations, the influences of both are to be seen - in many ways the UK is more similar to Australia or New Zealand - higher obesity (junk food), as one example, but then, we are very close to the rest of Europe in many ways - our drinking habits are more in tune with continental Europe compared to any other Anglo nation, this is accentuated by our compact cities, meaning social drinking is more popular than in other Anglo nations. Public transport infrastructure here is also more comparable to continental Europe, than any other Anglo nation including Ireland. Our cities, aesthetically, are very comparable to continental European cities, at least in the north, and our cities have developed organically with 'messy' street layouts rather than planned grids. Likewise, there are some things bonding the UK to places like Australia and NZ - language, cricket and rugby. You are looking at it far too simplistically - you are so utterly determined that Britain is MUCH closer to other Anglo nations and I have no idea why.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:28 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,881,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Seems like they don't dislike them, they just look down on them.

(except Scandinavians)
I don't look down on people as i've been looked down on before and it's awful so why would I do it myself?

Old 09-03-2013, 09:29 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,881,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Hes not embarrassing himself. You just don't like him because his posts don't match your Pro EU views.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe