Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2013, 06:43 AM

8,159 posts, read 8,735,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Isn't it the other way around ? UK don't really get votes from European countries in the Eurovision.
People outside Europe seem to give more importance to that song contest than it should. Estonia, Germany, Lithuania, France, Finland, Spain and Ireland got even less votes in the last edition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2013, 11:16 AM

Location: Segovia, central Spain, 1230 m asl, Csb Mediterranean with strong continental influence, 40º43 N
3,094 posts, read 3,577,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Culturally, Spain should be more similar to Mexico, Bolivia or any other Spanish colony because they share the same culture and traditions.
I don't think so.
We don't see them as we are, except for the language.
I personally think I fit better with Portuguese, Italian, French, or even with people from Benelux.

Last edited by overdrive1979; 10-23-2013 at 12:45 PM..

Old 10-23-2013, 12:35 PM

595 posts, read 719,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overdrive1979 View Post
I don't think so.
I personally think I fit better with Portuguese, Italian, French, Italian or even with people from Benelux.
That is a personal and subjective feeling, for me, the only countries I would fit would be Portugal, Italy and southern France. I feel much more closer to Chile, Argentina or Mexico than to the Benelux. And most of the people I know think the same, they don't consider themselves Europeans.

Old 10-23-2013, 12:47 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,386,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victus View Post
That is a personal and subjective feeling, for me, the only countries I would fit would be Portugal, Italy and southern France. I feel much more closer to Chile, Argentina or Mexico than to the Benelux. And most of the people I know think the same, they don't consider themselves Europeans.
Its not subjective, its a fact that Spain's culture on the face of it isn't similar to Bolivia and Mexico those countries have a distinct Amerindian influence which Spain certainly hasn't. Spainish culture is a European culture Bolivia like many south American countries are hybrid European-African-Amerindian cultures which make Colombia for example removed from Spanish culture. Bolivia and Mexico is especially far removed from Spanish culture.

Its the same thing for the UK, Jamaica, New Zealand and Belize are distinct cultures having been influenced by other cultures like Maori in New Zealand, Amerindian and African in Jamaica and Belize.

You may feel more culturally similar to Latin american countries but face facts Spain isn't in Latin America just how Britons need to face facts that culturally we're similar to the Dutch and Germans.

Old 10-24-2013, 07:02 AM

106 posts, read 188,829 times
Culture in Latin America is basically Spanish, since Amerindian/black influence is relegated to marginality. Spanish culture is about the same that the Latin American culture, but cronologically different, so when you are in Latin America it feels like Spain 40 years ago.

More so, I would say that sometimes Latin America feels more Spanish that Spain, because this country has lost a lot of identity during the last 30 years. During Franco, Spanish people had this tremendous inferiority complex so they copied European culture...and now people are realizing that Europe sucks and returning to the old ways. That's why people prefer immigrating to Latin America than to Europe.

Latin America is more Spanish that Australia English, but again, there are important cronological shifts (500 years old) such as the language. Many Latin American Spanish dialects sound older that European Spanish, older and more descriptive since language is Spain is very brief and concise.

Old 10-24-2013, 07:43 AM

2,351 posts, read 7,093,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overdrive1979 View Post
I don't think so.
I personally think I fit better with Portuguese, Italian, French, or even with people from Benelux.
Portugal doesn't have the same fiestas as the ones in Spain like the Semana Santa. Semana Santa in Spain is practiced in all Spanish colonies. It is a big event while in Portugal, it's so dead.

Old 10-24-2013, 01:05 PM

824 posts, read 3,604,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Its not subjective, its a fact that Spain's culture on the face of it isn't similar to Bolivia and Mexico those countries have a distinct Amerindian influence which Spain certainly hasn't. Spainish culture is a European culture Bolivia like many south American countries are hybrid European-African-Amerindian cultures which make Colombia for example removed from Spanish culture. Bolivia and Mexico is especially far removed from Spanish culture.

Its the same thing for the UK, Jamaica, New Zealand and Belize are distinct cultures having been influenced by other cultures like Maori in New Zealand, Amerindian and African in Jamaica and Belize.

You may feel more culturally similar to Latin american countries but face facts Spain isn't in Latin America just how Britons need to face facts that culturally we're similar to the Dutch and Germans.

Brits are atlantic ancient britonics, Dutch and Germans are germanic people, not only linguistically.

Brits are even closer to northern french than they are to anyone else on continental europe, and yet they are not particularly that close to northern french, Brits are mostly only similar to Irish on every sense.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:26 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,386,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler86 View Post
Brits are atlantic ancient britonics, Dutch and Germans are germanic people, not only linguistically.

Brits are even closer to northern french than they are to anyone else on continental europe, and yet they are not particularly that close to northern french, Brits are mostly only similar to Irish on every sense.
What the hell is "Britonics" do you mean Celtic?

Anyway British culture is Germanic we are similar culturally to the Netherlands and other Germanic countries. Each European country is unique some share more similarities to each than others.

Just to prove my point that Latin America isn't Spain. Even Chile and Argentina is different from Spain, it has its own culture and identity.

Last edited by Rozenn; 10-25-2013 at 04:55 AM.. Reason: Orphaned

Old 10-24-2013, 07:01 PM

2,351 posts, read 7,093,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Semana Santa in Spain

Holy Week in Spain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://web.schc.sc.edu/Samantha_Ward...manaSanta.html

Semana Santa in Mexico

Mexico Semana Santa Photo Gallery - Good Friday Silent Procession Photos

http://gomexico.about.com/od/festiva...-Santa-Photos/

Semana Santa in Hispanic Culture

http://m.wisegeek.org/what-is-semana-santa.htm

http://hispanic-culture-online.com/semana-santa.html

Last edited by Hermosaa; 10-24-2013 at 07:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe