Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 05:53 AM

32,533 posts, read 22,135,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
Irish and Scots Gaelic are nearly the same. Welsh is a different language. But I think all these languages need to be saved. They are part of the country's history.

Irish, Gaelic and Manx are Goidelic while Welsh, Cornish and Breton are Brithonic...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2013, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
Yes, I remember the first time I heard Irish spoken was in the Dingle Peninsula at a cafe, Sleahead Drive.

My ggg's headstone in the US says they were from Co Ciarrai or similar I think.
In NC on Ft. Bragg throughout the wooded areas are small cemetaries where are the headstones are in Scots-Gaelic because the whole area around Fayetteville, NC was originally a settlement of Gaelic speaking immigrants from Scotland and this also where the first Declaration of Independance was written and sent to England from here, it seems Thomas Jefferson plagerized his famous document...

Old 12-28-2013, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markovian process View Post
I wonder if any diasporic communities or descendants of Irish immigrants are interested in learning the language? The population of Irish-speakers in places like the USA is really small now, but presumably was much higher during the peak immigration days when emigrants carried their language with them.

Irish language outside Ireland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tá Gaoluinn na Mumhan foghlte agam ó deich mbliana anuas (I've been learning Munster Irish for the past ten years)...

Old 12-30-2013, 06:04 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,938,402 times
Yea. Not many maybe a few thousand? I really don't know. I have never heard Irish being spoken in person.

Last edited by Mac15; 12-30-2013 at 06:16 AM..

Old 12-30-2013, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusPetersson View Post
Isn't Irish spoken as the first language by almost everyone who lives on the Aran Islands? And what about other Gaeltacht areas?

To me, Irish, Welsh and Scots Gaelic sounds very similar but I know Welsh is very different from those other 2. I think Welsh is the most widely spoken and well estalished one with hundreds of thousends of native speakers, used as first language by about 20% of Wales. The Welsh even has their own tv shows and series in their language, like that new series Hinterland (Y Gwyn). Does Ireland also have such tv channels?
Yes. They have some name that I cannot even begin to pronounce.

Old 12-30-2013, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
1.2% of Scotland's population can speak Scottish Gaelic, but they are more or less entirely concentrated in the Hebrides, where a majority of people, in some cases, speak Scottish Gaelic as their primary language.
Good for them but I can't see that being a benefit in a country entirely english speaking.

Old 12-30-2013, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusPetersson View Post
Wikipedia on the Irish language:

Irish language - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dont know exactly how much is correct though.

Ireland is the total opposite of Finland when it comes to language, I saw a culture TV program once where they compared Ireland to Finland, and they mentioned that in Ireland the native language Irish is today only spoken by a minority while the invasive and foreign language English is spoken by the vast majority, while in Finland its the other way around, cause there the vast majority speaks the native language Finnish today and only a minority speaks the foreign and invasive language Swedish (which is not related to Finnish by the way, it was introduced in Finland by their former Swedish rulers, just like English was introduced in Ireland).

It certainly seems though that Welsh is the most widely spoken and established Celtic language in the British Isles, even though it's a part of the UK where English is the official language.
But english is our native language. Irish has not been the native language for hundreds of years.

Old 12-30-2013, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
So I guess there's hope for Ireland and Irish, although I feel English will be the dominant language for a long time to come simply because it is so much more global than Swedish.
Irish will never overtake english.

Old 12-30-2013, 06:40 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,559,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
In NC on Ft. Bragg throughout the wooded areas are small cemetaries where are the headstones are in Scots-Gaelic because the whole area around Fayetteville, NC was originally a settlement of Gaelic speaking immigrants from Scotland and this also where the first Declaration of Independance was written and sent to England from here, it seems Thomas Jefferson plagerized his famous document...
Yes, I've read a couple of books about all the Scots who migrated to NC, especially the Cape Fear area.

Old 12-30-2013, 06:42 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,559,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
But english is our native language. Irish has not been the native language for hundreds of years.
No, it hasn't been hundreds of years. My gggrandparents still spoke it when they emigrated to the US and that was 160 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe