Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 10:55 AM

1 posts, read 9,060 times

Advertisements

I'm hoping someone can help answer some questions for me.

My wife and I are US citizens and both able to work remotely in our current professional roles. Since we can live anywhere in our current jobs, we would like to live in Europe for an extended period of time.

How long can we stay? Who do we need to contact to make this happen?

I've heard as a US citizen you are allowed to stay for up to 90 days on a travel visa. Would it make it possible to stay longer if we moved to a different country every three months or is there a way we can stay in the same place for several years at a time?

Thanks in advance for any advice and insights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2013, 01:37 PM
FBF

601 posts, read 933,119 times
I would not recommend doing that with a tourist visa.

Most of Western and Northern Europe are part of the Schnengen Agreement with no official border controls (but still occasional traffic stops or id checks on buses and trains) and they keep on contact with each EU member police forces when one is trying to overstay what the tourist visa allows (especially if one continues to leave and come back into the country quite frequently in less than a year unless you have an actual visa which allows to work and stay there).

A tourist visa holder has NO right to work and live in the EU.

You need to apply for a proper non tourist visa at your home country before even coming to Europe if that is what you wish to do.

Old 12-21-2013, 02:01 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,488,144 times
You can stay 90 days within each 180 day period. They don't exchange the information with each other. Usually rely on the stamp in the passport.

Quote:

Note that, as of February 2013, only 11 Schengen Member States—Estonia, Finland, Greece, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Malta, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia and Spain—record travellers' entries and exits in their national databases, but data is not exchanged between the national databases of these countries, nor is there a Schengen-wide centralised database tracking entries and exits in all 26 Schengen Member States.

Schengen Area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-21-2013, 02:29 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,908,389 times
Yecnors, each country in Europe has its own unique rules. Your question cannot be answered unless you specify a country.

Old 12-21-2013, 05:48 PM

308 posts, read 398,478 times
You would probably benefit from researching the visa regulations of the specific countries you're interested in. There might be some sort of business visa that you could apply for. I would not travel to another country, with an intent to work, on a tourist visa.

Many countries share a bilateral visa waiver program with the US, but generally these waivers are valid for 90 days and cannot be renewed.

Old 12-21-2013, 06:01 PM

510 posts, read 610,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yecnors View Post
I'm hoping someone can help answer some questions for me.

My wife and I are US citizens and both able to work remotely in our current professional roles. Since we can live anywhere in our current jobs, we would like to live in Europe for an extended period of time.

How long can we stay? Who do we need to contact to make this happen?

I've heard as a US citizen you are allowed to stay for up to 90 days on a travel visa. Would it make it possible to stay longer if we moved to a different country every three months or is there a way we can stay in the same place for several years at a time?

Thanks in advance for any advice and insights.
Working on a tourist visa is illegal. If you are working in Europe, you are required to get a working visa and pay the appropriate local income taxes. It does not matter where the company you are working for is located. For short durations you can probably get away with it, but for longer durations they are going to start asking how you are funding your long vacation.

Of course all countries have their own immigration laws so I am generalizing based on French law (which I am familiar with), but I imagine they are all very similar in this regard (every country wants their tax money).

Old 12-22-2013, 03:49 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,346,679 times
It pretty much sounds like you already decided to bull**** European immigration. Congrats! While I think that you could succeed by doing so (tourist visa, but working remotely), you have to be aware that it is pretty much illegal to do so. Chances to get busted are pretty low, though.

If I were you, I'd ask for a Work Visa... Chances are that you gonna get blocked from entering the EU for a couple of years... And I certainly wouldn't want to risk that.

Old 12-22-2013, 07:59 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,488,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
It pretty much sounds like you already decided to bull**** European immigration. Congrats!

Looking at your birth rates and low net migration, you need every single body you can possibly get. Anything that's still alive and has a pulse.

If I were you, I'd ask for a Work Visa... Chances are that you gonna get blocked from entering the EU for a couple of years... And I certainly wouldn't want to risk that.
Lol @ ask for a work visa. Maybe bring some flowers, too ? He's not gonna get a visa. It's too strict.

Old 12-25-2013, 02:10 PM

2,296 posts, read 3,125,966 times
Theoretically he is not working in Europe, he is working and being paid and taxed it the USA he just happens to be sitting in Europe no?
If I am on vacation I can connect to my company and do some work with out a problem. Perhaps possible to buy an RV and take an extended European vacation and work remotely?

Old 12-25-2013, 03:08 PM

308 posts, read 398,478 times
Quote:
I can connect to my company and do some work with out a problem
Doing "some work" is different from staying in a country for an extended period of time and working 7.5 hour days. If I rent a house in the US and sit there while I do my Norwegian job (technologically possible), I'm pretty certain the IRS would want their share of my paycheck - which is what it boils down to in the end.

OP could do what he proposes , but he and his wife would end up paying both US tax and foreign tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe