Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 03:18 PM

11 posts, read 14,925 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I work as freelancer and almost all my work is virtual. So my location doesn't really matter, as long as I'm in the Europe/Africa time zones.

I'm interested in moving to South(-East) Europe, since I am culturally, linguistically, historically interested in this particular part of the world and I like the “off the beaten path-away from mass tourism destination” atmosphere there.

This prompts me to the question: where to live? I'll list a few requirements, in order of importance:

- Excellent broadband
- Reasonable cost of living (my salary is pretty decent) and (income/corporate) tax level
- Relatively sunny climate (I don't mind cold or snow, as long as it's not cloudy/rainy everyday)
- Safety (I have a dog, so for myself and him for e.g. walks and jogging in parks) and cleanliness
- Medium to large city
- Level of corruption (I will be setting up my freelance business)
- Friendliness/openness of people towards foreigners
- Landscape/nature (close to water/sea/beach will be great)
- Connections (airport/highways) and infrastructure

Which place do you recommend?

I have ruled out options like Italy and Malta (tax %), Bucharest (too many stray dogs, from what I gather from internet sources, but perhaps other Romanian cities are better in this respect?). I have been thinking and reading about: Montenegro, Bulgaria, Romania (apart from Bucharest), Croatia, and Cyprus.

About me: I was born and raised in a Western European country. I'm a 35-year old white male, single, straight, and I speak 7 languages (not all fluent, though). I've lived in Eastern Europe before, and I have visited some Southern and Eastern European countries.

Night-life and ease of finding new friends will also be two aspects to consider.

Thanks a lot in advance for your help and advices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2014, 08:14 PM

194 posts, read 423,363 times
If you want to be close to the sea I would go to Croatia. The weather on the Black sea Romania and Bulgaria in the winter is not good at all (to windy, cold and rainy).
If the sea it is not too important and you like bigger cities my favorite is Prague, than Krakow. Again the weather is not ideal in either city, cloudy and damp.
I like Budapest, too,but the Hungarian politics are not too apealing now.
In Romania for medium cities you have Brasov and Sibiu, both historic and with great mountains nearby.
One other city would be Istanbul, I know it is not Eastern Europe but it has better weather, next to the sea and one of the world greatest cities.
Cost wise Romania, Serbia and Bulgaria and probably some of parts of Turkey are the cheapest.

Old 02-22-2014, 09:10 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Cluj, Romania (Transylvania); it's a university town near a beautiful national park in the mountains. Friendly, but there may be some corruption, though I think less than in Bucharest and other parts of Romania. Cluj has reinvented itself after some stagnation in the 90's, as a business center. How easy it is to set up a business, though, I don't know. Cluj is the largest of the 3 cities you list.

Dubrovnik, Croatia; a historic walled city on the coast. Walkable. Major tourist center.

Ljubljana, Slovenia. Another university town. Breathtaking alpine scenery in Slovenia.

All have international airports, good nightlife, and meet your other criteria. What you really need to know is which country has the least paperwork and hoops to jump through in order to set up a business.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 02-22-2014 at 09:30 PM..

Old 02-23-2014, 11:44 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,444,467 times
Would love to hear which seven languages you speak, before I forget to ask. You could look at Split/Trogir/Kaštela area if you like beach/sun/sea. Dubrovnik is a tourist trap and overpriced. The Split airport is actually closer to Trogir, and the climate is mild coastal. No snow, and aside from the Bura which can be chilly, the weather is great. Just wait till the Maestral blows in late summer early fall. The locals are gorgeous, and the local women specifically prefer foreign men so you should have no problem finding interested females. It is very safe, most places in Croatia are peaceful. We made friends the first day we arrived in Trogir on our first trip with my girlfriends.

If you do end up choosing somewhere in Cro, keep in touch and we can drop by with my friends on our next trip and say hello, maybe have a drink somewhere on the lungomare by Medena or the marina on Trogir island.

Hope you find what you seek.

Old 02-27-2014, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Would love to hear which seven languages you speak, before I forget to ask. You could look at Split/Trogir/Kaštela area if you like beach/sun/sea. Dubrovnik is a tourist trap and overpriced. The Split airport is actually closer to Trogir, and the climate is mild coastal. No snow, and aside from the Bura which can be chilly, the weather is great. Just wait till the Maestral blows in late summer early fall. The locals are gorgeous, and the local women specifically prefer foreign men so you should have no problem finding interested females. It is very safe, most places in Croatia are peaceful. We made friends the first day we arrived in Trogir on our first trip with my girlfriends.

If you do end up choosing somewhere in Cro, keep in touch and we can drop by with my friends on our next trip and say hello, maybe have a drink somewhere on the lungomare by Medena or the marina on Trogir island.

Hope you find what you seek.
That's an interesting idea. Thanks for the information. If I'll head over there, for sure I'll let you know. My languages: Dutch, Frisian, English, German, French, Spanish, Polish. But some are a bit rusty after not using them conversationally in years, to be honest.

How are prices in Croatia (outside Dubrovnik) actually, e.g. in the places you've mentioned? I understood that Cro had become quite pricy the last few years after the influx of Western (real estate) investors. Or is this only the case in Dubrovnik?

My initial preference was Bulgaria, coz of the favorable tax/cost of living situation. But I will surely research more about Cro as well.

Old 02-27-2014, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Cluj, Romania (Transylvania); it's a university town near a beautiful national park in the mountains. Friendly, but there may be some corruption, though I think less than in Bucharest and other parts of Romania. Cluj has reinvented itself after some stagnation in the 90's, as a business center. How easy it is to set up a business, though, I don't know. Cluj is the largest of the 3 cities you list.

Dubrovnik, Croatia; a historic walled city on the coast. Walkable. Major tourist center.

Ljubljana, Slovenia. Another university town. Breathtaking alpine scenery in Slovenia.

All have international airports, good nightlife, and meet your other criteria. What you really need to know is which country has the least paperwork and hoops to jump through in order to set up a business.
Thanks! I will drop Dubrovnik of my list for sure. I got the impression that it's good for a day trip or so, but not as potential for living.

Cluj is not too close to the sea, I think? That would be a major minus. Would you know about Romanian coastal cities, e.g. how is Constanta?

Slovenia could become more interesting, especially as they seem to drop their tax rate in the coming years.

Yes, you're right. Paperwork/red tape are one of my concerns. But that should be something I can deal with and solve. So I'm not too worried about that.

Old 02-27-2014, 05:15 AM

35 posts, read 238,917 times
Why do you want top set up in Europe? If you are not location-dependent you better move to Thirld World countries with good Internet.

Old 02-27-2014, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent2780 View Post
If you want to be close to the sea I would go to Croatia. The weather on the Black sea Romania and Bulgaria in the winter is not good at all (to windy, cold and rainy).
If the sea it is not too important and you like bigger cities my favorite is Prague, than Krakow. Again the weather is not ideal in either city, cloudy and damp.
I like Budapest, too,but the Hungarian politics are not too apealing now.
In Romania for medium cities you have Brasov and Sibiu, both historic and with great mountains nearby.
One other city would be Istanbul, I know it is not Eastern Europe but it has better weather, next to the sea and one of the world greatest cities.
Cost wise Romania, Serbia and Bulgaria and probably some of parts of Turkey are the cheapest.
Great info! Thanks so much!!

I've been in Bulgaria before (Sofia), but actually not anywhere near the seaside, and I have no idea how it looks like in the winter (or even in the summer, for that). It doesn't sound too attractive then. Cost-wise it is interesting, though. I don't mind a (bit) colder weather or snow in the winter. I like it when there are different seasons, personally. But rain is something I don't like too much The way you describe it, it sounds much like the UK, actually. Is it that "bad"?

I didn't know there's so much difference between the climate on the Bulgarian and Turkish Black Sea coastlines. Very interesting. I prefer to stay in the EU, though.

Mountains are not really my "thing." I much prefer water/sea, to be honest. So Brasov and Sibiu would make for a nice day-trip, I guess.

Old 02-27-2014, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilofardin View Post
Why do you want top set up in Europe? If you are not location-dependent you better move to Thirld World countries with good Internet.
I mentioned this in the first 2 paragraphs of my original post...

Old 02-27-2014, 10:07 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,444,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying_D View Post
That's an interesting idea. Thanks for the information. If I'll head over there, for sure I'll let you know. My languages: Dutch, Frisian, English, German, French, Spanish, Polish. But some are a bit rusty after not using them conversationally in years, to be honest.

How are prices in Croatia (outside Dubrovnik) actually, e.g. in the places you've mentioned? I understood that Cro had become quite pricy the last few years after the influx of Western (real estate) investors. Or is this only the case in Dubrovnik?

My initial preference was Bulgaria, coz of the favorable tax/cost of living situation. But I will surely research more about Cro as well.
That's quite the list of languages, you're fortunate to be able to communicate with so many. My Dutch begins with Nils Holgersson and ends with aardappel. I'd have to google Frisian, but I think I could deal with the rest of your list - although I'd sub your Polish for my Croatian, which for me is a bit rusty, admittedly.

Croatian cost of living has been increasing over the last several years, as you mentioned, more and more Western folks drive up prices. Still manageable though. Dubrovnik has always been "different" - like you mentioned, ok to visit, wouldnt want to live there. If you are considering Bulgaria, understand that corruption will be an unavoidable factor of your life there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe