Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 09:12 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,539,324 times

Advertisements

Most people with a shred of Italian background here will never let you forget it.

Interesting that you point out this supposed dichotomy though. Sometimes I think about how people in Italy view it compared to the people I live around that have Italian grandparents or parents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2014, 01:16 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,348,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocking chair View Post
Northern italians have almost no patriotism, they keep it for the future Padania
*cough* Alpini Gathering *cough*

Old 01-23-2014, 02:26 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,813,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Most people with a shred of Italian background here will never let you forget it.

Interesting that you point out this supposed dichotomy though. Sometimes I think about how people in Italy view it compared to the people I live around that have Italian grandparents or parents.
Yes there were some Italian Americans in the tour group and culturally speaking, most were as much foreigners as the rest of us.

Old 09-03-2014, 11:25 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,297,725 times
As a french living in Italy I have always noticed how often Italians complain about Italy besides their own region / city and lack any sense of patriotism except for one thing: Food.

It seems Italians start to become a bit more patriotic when they go abroad but in general they think it sucks and talk about the marvels of Germany and France.

Even if France's patriotism is not as bold as some obvious others (I'm looking at the other side of the ocean), You can be pretty sure that most french people are pretty sure they'd never want to live anywhere else. That's not the case with Italy as many people always talk about going away from here.

What struck me is that when I got here, there wasn't a single week for me without being asked why I had moved here, as if I had made a strange and big mistake to quit France for Italy.

Usually I reply that France is great destination to work while Italy is a great place to live.

Old 09-03-2014, 11:55 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,703,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
less than French or british people , Italy hasn't been united all that long , patriotism appears regional in Italy , Sicilians almost view themselves as a people separate for example
This is correct.

Old 09-03-2014, 11:57 AM

1,600 posts, read 1,890,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
As a french living in Italy I have always noticed how often Italians complain about Italy besides their own region / city and lack any sense of patriotism except for one thing: Food.

It seems Italians start to become a bit more patriotic when they go abroad but in general they think it sucks and talk about the marvels of Germany and France.

Even if France's patriotism is not as bold as some obvious others (I'm looking at the other side of the ocean), You can be pretty sure that most french people are pretty sure they'd never want to live anywhere else. That's not the case with Italy as many people always talk about going away from here.

What struck me is that when I got here, there wasn't a single week for me without being asked why I had moved here, as if I had made a strange and big mistake to quit France for Italy.

Usually I reply that France is great destination to work while Italy is a great place to live.
The grass of the neighbour is always greener.

Old 09-03-2014, 12:29 PM

228 posts, read 367,760 times
Well I'm not Italian but I think there is a lot of regionalism and that they are more patriotic about the region they live rather than the whole country.

Old 09-03-2014, 03:41 PM

67 posts, read 107,314 times
Quote:

Is France not a great place to live? How you managed to escape France, I live in the ****hole Belgium.

Old 09-04-2014, 02:16 AM

121 posts, read 389,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocking chair View Post
Northern italians have almost no patriotism, they keep it for the future Padania
Apparently foreigners know about Italy better than Italian themselves. Anyway North Italian separatist parties rarely get more than 10% of votes in their home regions. They are completely free to get their Padania but apparently over 90% of them still prefer Italy over it.

Old 09-04-2014, 05:14 AM

321 posts, read 400,513 times
Quote:

Well in fact a Frenchman who makes a decision to live in Italy is quite an odd case

Jokes apart, I agree with everything you say.
Us Italians are almost "fascist" about our food, and are very nationalist about our city. For Italy as a country, though, we mostly feel ashamed.

And yes, there is the biggest-ever divide between northern Italy, which is fully European, and southern Italy which is Mediterranean. As a northerner myself, though I recognize the richness of the southern Italian people and cultures, it is totally impossible to view myself as "alike" to a Neapolitan or Sicilian guy, just for example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe