Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 06:55 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,808,250 times

Advertisements

I've heard that Italian patriotism is very contradictory in nature: on one hand, there are visible displays of patriotism (e.g. the World Cup), and Italians are known as proud people, being proud of their history, culture, art.etc and rather insular, yet at the same time they are also a very divided people, not being united until 1870. Plus a lot of people think of Italians abroad, like Italian Americans or Australians, who play up their 'Italian-ness' so think people in Italy must be very patriotic.

I just read Luigi Barzini's 'The Italian' and he writes about this apparent dichotomy. On one hand they do appear very proud of Italy etc, yet it seems their main loyalty is to family, secret organisations.etc. They're also very provincial, with Romans seeing themselves as Romans first, Tuscans as Tuscans, Florentines as Florentines, Milanese, Neapolitans, Venetians, Sicilians.etc. There is also an innate distrust/cynicism of government and authority. Aside from this last part I've heard China described in similar terms.

Can anyone offer insight into the nature of nationalism and patriotism in Italy? Regarding nationalism, Mussolini fancied himself a latter day Caesar, and in some ways wanted to bring back the glory of Rome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 07:41 AM

20 posts, read 59,592 times
I can tell you this....every italian is very conscious about Italy being the best and/or the most beautiful country in the world (at least is what almost every people here believe)..think about the culture, the wonderfull cities, the landscapes, the food the great people who revolutioned arts & science ecc ecc BUT we've got so many problems and so many things just don't work here that even if we're proud to be italians at the same time we feel ashamed of our country.
So that's why you can see some "patriotism" during sport evenst but as I said before at the same time lots of complains about Italy.
That goes so far that for example when we're abroad we tend not to say our nationality and as soon as we see our fellow countrymans we try not to avoid them (this can sounds akward but I assure you it happens)
In summary, italians love Italy but "hate" italians.
And about us being "provincial" this is the situation : there is a political party called "lega nord" who has lots of support in the northern area which is joined by people who think northern italy should goes apart from the rest of the country. That means some people here in the north feel themself as "padani" (Padania being a macro region which should include 9/10 northern region) instead of italians. Thank God they are a small %.
So, strong feeling about coming from a specific regions instead being called italians can be found in some people from the north and I guess in Romans (they are so proud of their city!!!!)

Old 01-17-2014, 08:07 AM

1,600 posts, read 1,889,770 times
Unfortunately they lack patriotism in the most important thing: pay the tax(people), corruption(politicians and generally all people involved in affairs),mismanagement(leading class) and sense of State.

Old 01-17-2014, 11:16 AM

57 posts, read 181,734 times
My partner is Italian, he loves Italy so much but I think he lost hope in Italy, with the corruption and all. He is from Salerno and he told me when he lived in Northern Italy for a teaching job (Mestre and Treviso) people would make fun of him because he is from the South and he told me that on two different occasions people from the North pretended not to understand his Italian, even when he spoke in perfect Italian! They were making fun of him. Stories like this disgust me and make me so angry I just want to cry! Of course racists Italians are few, not all Italians are like this. The Italians I met are warm people and love Italy but are disappointed on the way the country is being run. I hope in his lifetime things will change.

Old 01-17-2014, 03:42 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,293,195 times
less than French or british people , Italy hasn't been united all that long , patriotism appears regional in Italy , Sicilians almost view themselves as a people separate for example

Old 01-17-2014, 05:41 PM

9,366 posts, read 14,316,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by november4 View Post
I hope in his lifetime things will change.
I mean this gently: you can hope, but don't hold your breath.

Two generations of Italians have, by and large, been lost - but not for lack of trying - and the outlook for the bulk of today's young children is not better.

My children have Italian passports, but I doubt they will ever need them or want them to become residents of Italy, and, just like a century ago, the Italian ruling elite couldn't care less, believe me. Even Fiat doesn't want to be Italian anymore.

Good Luck!

Old 01-17-2014, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by november4 View Post
My partner is Italian, he loves Italy so much but I think he lost hope in Italy, with the corruption and all. He is from Salerno and he told me when he lived in Northern Italy for a teaching job (Mestre and Treviso) people would make fun of him because he is from the South and he told me that on two different occasions people from the North pretended not to understand his Italian, even when he spoke in perfect Italian! They were making fun of him. Stories like this disgust me and make me so angry I just want to cry! Of course racists Italians are few, not all Italians are like this. The Italians I met are warm people and love Italy but are disappointed on the way the country is being run. I hope in his lifetime things will change.
Yes I read about the whole rivalry between North and South in Barzini's book, but I would be surprised to hear it's still so bad. It seems a lot of those in the north are rather snobbish and still look down on the south, and there's still an economic divide. Milan definitely looks quite different from Naples, regional styles notwithstanding. Yes it seems Italy hasn't had an efficient/just government since Roman times, no wonder a lot of the people don't trust them!

Old 01-18-2014, 03:21 AM

9,366 posts, read 14,316,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
.... there's still an economic divide. Milan definitely looks quite different from Naples, regional styles notwithstanding. Yes it seems Italy hasn't had an efficient/ ... government since Roman times, no wonder a lot of the people don't trust them!
Justice? What is justice?

In terms of efficient, basically you are looking in the right direction(s). Basically Italy south of Rome is a Mediterranean phenomenon, but that superhighway has been busted for around one thousand four hundred years and there is no relief in sight. Meanwhile, basically Italy north of Rome is a European phenomenon which has been intact, more or less, for about one thousand two hundred years, and it still has a future to look forward to, for better and for worse.

But re-circle a square that some people have been trying to re-circle for many centuries and you are a genius, military or otherwise.

Good Luck!

Last edited by bale002; 01-18-2014 at 04:27 AM..

Old 01-18-2014, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Justice? What is justice?

In terms of efficient, basically you are looking in the right direction(s). Basically Italy south of Rome is a Mediterranean phenomenon, but that superhighway has been busted for around one thousand four hundred years and there is no relief in sight. Meanwhile, basically Italy north of Rome is a European phenomenon which has been intact, more or less, for about one thousand two hundred years, and it still has a future to look forward to, for better and for worse.

But re-circle a square that some people have been trying to re-circle for many centuries and you are a genius, military or otherwise.

Good Luck!
I'm just going by what I've read and heard. It's of course hard for a tourist to get a picture of how things work, even if I lived there and learned Italian and got to know lots of Italians I doubt I'd know like an Italian. Italians have a very Italian way of doing things.

Old 01-22-2014, 04:38 AM

98 posts, read 268,866 times
Northern italians have almost no patriotism, they keep it for the future Padania
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe