Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 10:34 PM

613 posts, read 1,170,396 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if there are any people who only speak Irish (but not English or any other language) in either Ireland itself, North Ireland, or elsewhere?

I know for instance, even speaking Irish very fluently at all, let alone as a mother tongue or as one's only language is rare, but does it still exist? Are some older communities still left somewhere in the countryside, or are they a thing of the past?

Does anyone have statistics on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 05:45 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,299,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markovian process View Post
I was wondering if there are any people who only speak Irish (but not English or any other language) in either Ireland itself, North Ireland, or elsewhere?

I know for instance, even speaking Irish very fluently at all, let alone as a mother tongue or as one's only language is rare, but does it still exist? Are some older communities still left somewhere in the countryside, or are they a thing of the past?

Does anyone have statistics on this?
I would bet you could count on one hand the number of people in Ireland who exclusively speak irish - gaeilge

perhaps on one of the islands of the west coast , only 5% of the population are fluent in irish , im presently trying to learn the language as ive never been fluent and have forgotten most of what I learned in school

Old 12-02-2013, 06:42 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,820,172 times
Quite a few use Irish as their primary language in day to day life, and some are less than fluent in English, but the number with very limited or no knowledge of English at all? Probably a few dozen old people in the remote parts of the country.

Old 12-02-2013, 09:10 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,768,520 times
Sad when you think about it, it must be a cool language. I know someone from Wales and her language is similar I suppose, weird but interesting sound and some very long words

Old 12-02-2013, 09:29 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,550,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Sad when you think about it, it must be a cool language. I know someone from Wales and her language is similar I suppose, weird but interesting sound and some very long words
Irish and Scots Gaelic are nearly the same. Welsh is a different language. But I think all these languages need to be saved. They are part of the country's history.

Old 12-02-2013, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
Irish and Scots Gaelic are nearly the same. Welsh is a different language. But I think all these languages need to be saved. They are part of the country's history.
Yes, but people actually have to use a language, there is no point in a museum language.

Found this shocking statement on the Wiki page on endangered languages:
"The general consensus is that there are between 6000 and 7000 languages currently spoken, and that between 50-90% of those will have become extinct by the year 2100."

Old 12-02-2013, 09:43 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,550,567 times
Quote:
Yes, but people actually have to use a language, there is no point in a museum language.

"The general consensus is that there are between 6000 and 7000 languages currently spoken, and that between 50-90% of those will have become extinct by the year 2100."
Yes, they do need to be used by native speakers. I believe Irish is a requirement in schools. In Scotland there are many schools that teach Gaelic and in areas including the Outer Hebrides people are bilingual.

Old 12-02-2013, 09:49 AM

Google Translate speaks Irish and Welsh

Old 12-02-2013, 10:26 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,820,172 times
Quote:

Yep, and the vast majority of people today speak about two dozen. Most of those 6-7 thousand are spoken by a few thousand, a few hundred or even a handful or one person. While it's impossible to imagine English going extinct (especially because of the sheer bulk of published literature) who knows what it might evolve into, if human civilisation lasts that long.

Old 12-02-2013, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Yep, and the vast majority of people today speak about two dozen. Most of those 6-7 thousand are spoken by a few thousand, a few hundred or even a handful or one person. While it's impossible to imagine English going extinct (especially because of the sheer bulk of published literature) who knows what it might evolve into, if human civilisation lasts that long.
The Internet, globalization, and the migration into cities are achieving what thousands of years of warring have not achieved
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe