Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2014, 10:13 AM

14 posts, read 143,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpv View Post
Why is Russia such a superstitious culture?
* Not showing babies until a month after its birth;
* An unbelievable fear of drafts (skvoznyak);
* Sitting on cold concrete will freeze ovaries/testicles;
* Visiting old women in the village for advice/healing;
* Not shaking hands through doorways;
* Whistling indoors will lead to your money leaving;
* Not going back home to get something you've forgotten, unless truly necessary;
* The whole mirror by the front door thing...
There are many, many more as you know.

These are not superstitions limited to baba in the village. These were expressed very often and by otherwise extremely learned people. I've always found this superstitious streak to be quite incongruous with the Russian propensity to be really good at hard sciences and math. I mean, I spent quite a lot of time in hospitals while living in Russia (birth of my children, son's hernia operation), and even doctors and nurses exhibited some of these traits. I understand such beliefs in the village, but find it surprising with otherwise educated and modern populaces. Moreover, I've found it intriguing that young men think nothing of doing the craziest stuff possible (VDV day, anyone?), but those same men will cringe if two windows are open at the same time.
Some superstitions embedded in the culture. Not all of the Russian people believe in them. 1. Baby don't show to strangers, because they say, "how good, How beautiful, health and parents of a small child concerned, in order not strangers was not invited trouble. 2. I did not understand the essence of the issue. 3. freeze is not testicles, and Popa and will hemorrhoids! And this is the real truth!!! 4. A handshake across the door paragraph is When you forgot something in the house when he came out of him, it is believed that if back will bring a failure. Ancient superstition, I can not say why it is so. 7. The mirror by the door there are many Russians apartments, but the reason I do not know on your text I misunderstood. Understand something about the Russian Navy. ВДВ is the elite of the Russian army. They fight in the most terrible wars and win. August 2 - their holiday, they are having fun and bathe in fountains on the street
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 10:35 AM

2,042 posts, read 2,903,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_Grac View Post
Some superstitions embedded in the culture. Not all of the Russian people believe in them. 1. Baby don't show to strangers, because they say, "how good, How beautiful, health and parents of a small child concerned, in order not strangers was not invited trouble. 2. I did not understand the essence of the issue. 3. freeze is not testicles, and Popa and will hemorrhoids! And this is the real truth!!! 4. A handshake across the door paragraph is When you forgot something in the house when he came out of him, it is believed that if back will bring a failure. Ancient superstition, I can not say why it is so. 7. The mirror by the door there are many Russians apartments, but the reason I do not know on your text I misunderstood. Understand something about the Russian Navy. ВДВ is the elite of the Russian army. They fight in the most terrible wars and win. August 2 - their holiday, they are having fun and bathe in fountains on the street
Well, not everyone in any country believes exactly the same thing. That isn't an answer to the question.

I wasn't exactly asking where the superstitions come from, I was more interested in why they continue to persist despite the high educational attainment of the country. This is an exploration into the culture of Russia, which I suspected you were offering when you decided to start this thread.

(VDV day is a menace. You don't think there are elite forces in other armies around the world? How many of them drink liters of vodka and get into bloody fights on the streets? How absurd.)

Old 03-31-2014, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Well, not everyone in any country believes exactly the same thing. That isn't an answer to the question.

I wasn't exactly asking where the superstitions come from, I was more interested in why they continue to persist despite the high educational attainment of the country. This is an exploration into the culture of Russia, which I suspected you were offering when you decided to start this thread.

(VDV day is a menace. You don't think there are elite forces in other armies around the world? How many of them drink liters of vodka and get into bloody fights on the streets? How absurd.)
Superstitions are saved because people want it. It does not prevent to develop them. What the bloody fights in question? You have wrong information. If someone was able to capture on camera the fight which was attended by the boys in blue berets - it does not mean that every year they make the carnage in the street.

In this photo I'm. Every year I celebrate this holiday has never fought that day.
Attached Thumbnails
Russia. All that concerns Russia.Аnswers questions citizen of Russia.-.jpg  

Old 03-31-2014, 11:15 AM

1,267 posts, read 3,073,730 times
What are the most popular Russian films from this decade 2000-Present?

Old 03-31-2014, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
What are the most popular Russian films from this decade 2000-Present?
Легенда №17 (2013) (The legend №17) , Сталинград (2013) (Stalingrad) , Мы из будущего 1,2. (2008,2010) (We are from the future 1,2.) , Метро (2012) (Metro) , Гагарин. Первый в космосе. (2013) (Gagarin. First visited the cosmos.)

Movies a lot.

Old 03-31-2014, 11:42 AM

647 posts, read 796,903 times
Quote:
200 $???!!! I fell down laughing!!!!))) 200 USD in Russia is very small amount!)))
It was 4-5 years ago in Saratov, now probably there are another prices.

Quote:
each nation has a shame. Not only in Russian)
I didn't say that all these videos are Russian, so the third video taken in Ukraine, I had no aim to shame Russia because I'm Russian as well, and posted it for fun only.

Last edited by bartonfly; 03-31-2014 at 12:05 PM..

Old 03-31-2014, 12:03 PM

2,042 posts, read 2,903,339 times
Quote:
Superstitions are saved because people want it. It does not prevent to develop them. What the bloody fights in question? You have wrong information. If someone was able to capture on camera the fight which was attended by the boys in blue berets - it does not mean that every year they make the carnage in the street.

In this photo I'm. Every year I celebrate this holiday has never fought that day.
Your experience was VDV is quite difference than mine during my seven-year stay in Vladivostok. There were guys fighting all over the naberezhnaya from daybreak to sunset.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:57 PM

102,192 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:

Drafts: you can catch cold from drafts, it's happened to me. This is related to a sort of tabu against going barefoot in the apartment, especially if there's a cement floor. It's related to health. Tibetan doctors have warned me against the same things.

You visit grandmothers in the village for advice and healing because hands-on healing sometimes works! And you see them for advice because that's ancient tradition.

The USSR didn't have psychologists and psychiatric help for most citizens, you know. If people needed someone to talk to, they'd go to the local clairvoyant or healer. They still do.

Old 03-31-2014, 10:24 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,514,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Yes. The DUI policy was much more lenient a few decades ago.

I don't know. The supposed violence in Finland is just a myth, we are not any more violent than the Swedes or the French for example. Maybe the "Slavic fighting culture" is as well?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FGe1Tp5krQ#t=147
Russian public swimming pools have dolphins in them? What a country!

Old 04-01-2014, 12:45 AM

3,102 posts, read 5,615,749 times
Quote:
Why is Russia such a superstitious culture?
* Not showing babies until a month after its birth;
* An unbelievable fear of drafts (skvoznyak);
* Sitting on cold concrete will freeze ovaries/testicles;
* Visiting old women in the village for advice/healing;
* Not shaking hands through doorways;
* Whistling indoors will lead to your money leaving;
* Not going back home to get something you've forgotten, unless truly necessary;
* The whole mirror by the front door thing...
There are many, many more as you know.

These are not superstitions limited to baba in the village. These were expressed very often and by otherwise extremely learned people. I've always found this superstitious streak to be quite incongruous with the Russian propensity to be really good at hard sciences and math. I mean, I spent quite a lot of time in hospitals while living in Russia (birth of my children, son's hernia operation), and even doctors and nurses exhibited some of these traits. I understand such beliefs in the village, but find it surprising with otherwise educated and modern populaces. Moreover, I've found it intriguing that young men think nothing of doing the craziest stuff possible (VDV day, anyone?), but those same men will cringe if two windows are open at the same time.
Hi Jeff, this is a culture and not only. World, though full of scientific discoveries, but there are many phenomena that can not explain. As for the child does not show up to one month is that the child is not jinxed. You may laugh, but the whammy is a real phenomenon.
I have a Father's adoptive mother is Hungarian and is able to treat people (witch).
She saved my life. then when the doctors could not help me. me jinxed in Central Asia when I was 10 years old.
To my grandmother came from the first persons of the country. Minister Primakov Russia when he was sick came to her treatment.
This superstition Russian trait is inherited more from pagan ancestors. Habits and mentality of the Gentiles were so strong that they will not get lost even under the pressure of a thousand years of Christian history .Recall the features of nature , the harsh climate , the country's history , the Byzantine Russian tendency to mysticism . Much comes from the faith of people in the dark force, devilry , which could ruin their plans to intervene in the normal course of life.Until now, many Russian fear of the evil eye (hence - jinx ), and to protect it from wear cross body or pins in the seams of clothing. About what I told you above , and it is a reality . which can not be explained . People who have black eyes , capable whammy on people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe