Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2015, 07:46 AM

71 posts, read 98,259 times

Advertisements

i guess because most of the smart people were killed during the soviet era, there is not much left anymore..
stalin was afraid of intelligent people,they were threat to his regime. nowdays theres left only descendants of peasants.
i dont know how true is that, but i've read and heard about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2015, 02:35 PM

5,786 posts, read 4,234,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc1641 View Post
Make sure you put it at the very end of your bucket list, because you might not be available to get to other bucket list items.

From someone who lived for 20 years in that awful country, once I left, I swore never go back there. Most of the Russians are intolerant and rude. As we saw the videos at the beginning of the thread, Russians solve disagreements with fists and arguments and rarely cooperation. Despite the rich history, literature and music, Russians are still peasants at heart. Cheating is respected and is considered the way of life. Not sure they'll ever be able to join civilized nations as they are millions years away.
Russia is not for you.

http://www.stihi.ru/pics/2011/10/30/8062.jpg

Old 05-31-2015, 03:32 PM

5,781 posts, read 11,873,729 times
Cheating considered a way of life ? welcome to France!

Old 06-01-2015, 08:21 AM

5,357 posts, read 5,134,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Yes, somewhere there, that's where Russian history starts))))
lol. I guess I kind of see Ivan the Great and Ivan the Terrible with the expansion of Moscow from a small territory to the largest nation in the world as the founders of Russia as it is today. Novgorad in the 1000's sounds like it was quite a different place with a different political setup and society than Russia now.

Also from a historical perspective, Europe has a lot of thanking to do to Russia for keeping a large majority of the very destructive tribes from entering deep into Europe, the Avars, Pechenegs, Cumans, and most importantly the Mongolians. I think they really took the brunt of the attacks from these people and saved Europe a lot of heartache.

Last edited by Phil P; 06-01-2015 at 08:30 AM..

Old 06-01-2015, 10:41 AM

514 posts, read 470,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tharapita View Post
i guess because most of the smart people were killed during the soviet era, there is not much left anymore..
stalin was afraid of intelligent people,they were threat to his regime. nowdays theres left only descendants of peasants.
i dont know how true is that, but i've read and heard about it.
Kalashnikov? The T34 tank? Mikoyan Gurevich? Sukhoi?

Who can deny that this is some of the finest military engineering this world has seen?

Old 06-01-2015, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Novgorad in the 1000's sounds like it was quite a different place with a different political setup and society than Russia now.
It was the same state in many ways. Territory, language, ethnic composition, ruling dynasty (Rurik). The fact that ruling dynasty was not interrupted - is good reason for the fact that Moscow is the same state that Novgorod and Kievan Rus.

Old 06-01-2015, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yousseff View Post
Kalashnikov? The T34 tank? Mikoyan Gurevich? Sukhoi?

Who can deny that this is some of the finest military engineering this world has seen?
Add Korolev, Chelomey, Glushko, Saharov, Koshkin (T-34), Alferov and many others...

Old 06-01-2015, 01:29 PM

844 posts, read 1,063,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
lol. I guess I kind of see Ivan the Great and Ivan the Terrible with the expansion of Moscow from a small territory to the largest nation in the world as the founders of Russia as it is today. Novgorad in the 1000's sounds like it was quite a different place with a different political setup and society than Russia now.

Also from a historical perspective, Europe has a lot of thanking to do to Russia for keeping a large majority of the very destructive tribes from entering deep into Europe, the Avars, Pechenegs, Cumans, and most importantly the Mongolians. I think they really took the brunt of the attacks from these people and saved Europe a lot of heartache.

Excellent point, I often wonder why some -in and out CD- want to left out Russia if talking about Europe, when indeed Russia has been a major player -good and not so- in the continent and world history.

Old 06-18-2015, 02:12 PM

Interesting article about studying of Novgorod birch bark letters 11-15 centuries (in Russian).
Author: linguist, member of the Russian Academy of Sciences Zaliznyak A.A.

polit.ru/article/2006/11/30/zalizniak/

Main interesting conclusions:
- high percentage of ordinary people trained in writing (including women!!!);
- literacy rate has dropped from 11 to 15 century. In the 11 century society was freer than in the 15;
- women had big impact in society;
- in the 11th century, Russia had two ancient dialect: north-west (Novgorod, Pskov) and center-south-east (Rostov, Suzdal, Kiev). Center-south-east dialect was closer to other Slavic languages. Center-south-east dialect became basis for Ukrainian and Belarusian languages under the influence of Lithuania Rus. Unlike Russian language from other Slavic languages is explained Novgorod dialect.

Old 06-18-2015, 02:53 PM

1 posts, read 1,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztecgoddess View Post
Excellent point, I often wonder why some -in and out CD- want to left out Russia if talking about Europe, when indeed Russia has been a major player -good and not so- in the continent and world history.
The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. (c)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe