Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2015, 05:49 AM

5,786 posts, read 4,231,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cattledog69 View Post
What about guns in Russia. Is it legal to own a gun for hunting or self defense?

And also about going outdoors, can one just go out in the wild and make camp everywhere or are there certain areas were that's allowed?
Russian legislation does not so liberal as the US.

Yes, you can get hold of some types of guns for hunting. You need to get certificate from medical services that you are not a drug addict or a mentally ill person. Then you should join the Hunters Society, you will receive a document that will allow to carry and store weapons. (In this case, carry weapons without a cover can only be on hunting or in the dash, you can not get it on the street). With this document you go to the police and get permission to buy shotguns (with smoothbore), and then go to the store. After purchase you must go to the police and to register weapons.
After 5 years experience in the Hunters Society you can buy rifles (with a rifled barrel), for example Saiga, Saiga-12. But it is not automatic. Automatic rifles is prohibited in Russia.

You can use weapon for self-defense, but this is not recommended. In most cases, you will be punished for this being placed in prison

Update: I was wrong, Saiga-12 is smooth-bore weapons, Saiga is rifles.

Last edited by Maksim_Frolov; 07-15-2015 at 06:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2015, 10:13 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
I think 99% is air travel. Train and car is long and uncomfortable. Simply rent a car on the spot.
And yes, Germany, France, Italy, Spain are popular destinations for Russian "cultural" tourism.
Cool, i was just watching a video about the Moscow to Nice train and it looks like a fun trip... 3 day trip might be a little too much for me though.

What is the situation like at the Russian border regions though? is it almost impossible to cross? because i know Russia borders a few EU countries and Russia and the EU (governments) don't seem to have the best relationship at the moment.

Old 08-02-2015, 10:34 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,801,188 times
Vitaly Portnikov on "useful idiots in Russia": Idiots ‘Useful’ and Otherwise on the Rise in Russia and the West | Johnson's Russia List

Old 08-02-2015, 05:56 PM

471 posts, read 977,211 times
I had a relative that spent time in Rostov-on-Don working as a volunteer in an orphanage taking care of infants. She and her friends were out doing the tourist thing sightseeing and took a picture of an old historic bridge just because they thought it was beautiful. But right away, the security/police came up and confiscated their camera because one saw them taking the picture. They were then told it was forbidden because of "security reasons" and to come down to the station to see about getting it back, which they never did. This was back in the early 90's, not during the classic "Soviet days" and she still wonders why they were so upset.

Old 08-03-2015, 01:12 AM

26,786 posts, read 22,537,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
I went through it, kinda. What can I say? That Vitaly Portnikov is a "useful idiot" himself. He writes/tells exactly what the West ( well certain types in the West) would like to hear. ( No wonder he made his career in "Radio Free Europe.")
Former Soviet Jews ( that's who he is) have this ability to see everything in black and white in Russia, they have tendency to see everything through the prism of their suffering, and it usually mars the picture.
While there is no doubt that ( as usual) there is certain craziness when it comes to that whole Boeing ordeal - a craziness of special Russian kind, ( "America did it," or "Ukraine did it," ) but it's only a part of a picture. No matter who did it, the intelligent part of Russians understand that this whole "creation of tribunal" by UN Security Council is not about "investigation," but about politics, with a "guilty" verdict prepared for Russia; the unquenchable desire of the US to pin all the world's problems and troubles on Russia.

I've read this latest essay of Dmitry Olshansky on a subject on FB - it pretty much sums it all up.
( Here is quick translation; sorry for possible mistakes - I am in a hurry to make it in bed on time))) )

Dear Forces of Goodness!
You've already organized the invasion of Iraq, killing hundreds of thousands people and igniting the civil war, where everyone fights again everyone, facilitating the birth of ISIS in the process. All because supposedly "Saddam Hussein definitely had the nuclear weapon" and he "definitely had ties to Al-Qaeda."
-You've already destroyed Libya, turning one of the most prosperous countries in Africa into the field of civil war, where everyone once again fights against everyone.
-You've already almost destroyed Syria, because "Bashar Assad is a bloody tyrant," and once again creating Isis in the process, while in unleashed civil war everyone fights against everyone.
-You've already used your "tribunal" in Yugoslavia, "proven" that Serbs are the ultimate fascists, while Croats and Bosnians are wonderful people, and Kosovars are even better, even if they are involved in trafficking of human organs.
-You've already installed former Georgian president as the governor of Odessa - a president, under whom the torture in prisons was admitted and talked about even by the most "liberal" newspaper in Russia.
-You've already separated Kosovo from Serbia, not caring a bit about either separatism, nor the opinion of Serbs on this matter.
-You've already accepted with good-natured complacency the laws giving "non-citizen" status in Baltic countries, inside of EU, thus legally accepting on your territory people of a "second sort."
-You never insisted on any kind of "tribunals," when civil planes were hit by Ukraine or by the US. For some strange reason or the other you had no need for it.
-With the same pleasant complacency you've accepted the nazi salutes and the wolfangels adoring the banners of "Azov" battalion. Had you seen them in Russia, your indignation would have had no end.
-You were totally unmoved by the scene of people burned alive in Odessa, in front of the eyes of the whole world. You didn't need any international investigations back then, why would you, since that was the wrong kind of people, the undesirable ones.
-You are never particularly concerned with the overt bigotry and obscurantism, the executions and savagery worthy of Marquis de Sad of your favorite allies in Persian Gulf.
And that's why, our dear Forces of Goodness, there will be no "tribunal" on that Boeing. You can live without it.

https://www.facebook.com/spandaryan/...74078279279657

Old 08-09-2015, 05:51 AM

207 posts, read 497,516 times
Perhaps you can answer some questions on my thread that I started: //www.city-data.com/forum/europ...y-mid-80s.html

Old 04-08-2016, 06:58 PM

94 posts, read 116,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
Yes, and Putin is hiding with a gun right behind that gorgeous tree..

Old 04-08-2016, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
So-o-o, we know you didn't hang out in intellectual circles there. Too bad for you. You really missed a LOT of great people!

BTW, what do you do for interesting conversation in the US? Just wondering.
Is Putin considered an intellectual? Where exactly are those circles located?

Old 04-08-2016, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Wizard View Post
This is a Question directed to any Russian willing to answer......

Is their a difference in the appearance of Northwestern Ethnic Russians (around St.Petersburg and Moscow)
and southern Russians around Volograd and Kazan

I've heard that Northwestern Russians tend to have more light hair/light eyes

also was it the northern Russians or the southern ones who mainly settled in Siberia and the Russian far east ?
e.g from the Russian city of Perm and eastwards until Vladivostok
The ones in big cities use deodorant nowadays.

Old 04-08-2016, 07:48 PM

26,786 posts, read 22,537,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc1641 View Post
Is Putin considered an intellectual? Where exactly are those circles located?
Let me help you out here;

This is the post of an American that he left on one of Russian sites on FB here;

https://www.facebook.com/crazyrussia...4312383211287/

"I am an American who moved to Russia 15 years ago. The style of school and the results are dramatically different between the US and Russia. Courses in Russia are usually more advanced at any grade level and subjects are not made to be sugar coated as in the US so every time a Russian child moves to the US, even if not speaking the language, invariably that child is ranked at the top of the new US class within 6 months. There is more memorized information in Russian schools but it is filled with very useful fundamentals that aid in every field afterwards. Math for example is far advanced by the 4th grade , as are languages, literature, geography and history. As a small business owner the results of this more serious and direct education it is amazing how competent even the youngest job applicants are. A 19 year old here in St Petersburg is like a different species than American 19 year olds with far better unstanding of the world and a broad knowledge base. I have never even had an applicant who was not well informed about the arts, science, history, philosophy and geography. Education is taken much more seriously by both kids and family, the whole society is geared towards educated kids. They have easy access to the arts and cultural activities. Even the highest level of ballet or opera performance with $200 tickets is free for students and it is common to see the top balconies filled with kids in drama, classical concerts, opera and ballet every night of the week. They have easy access to museums, also free. There are 354 world class museums in the one city, all free to children and they go often. Kids just grow up with much higher expectations of educational achievement. And it really shows. In general education is broader here than back home in the US and the least educated (Russia has the highest percentage of university degrees of any country with 58.6% of the population with a university degree. Drop outs are rare. I doubt I have met anyone who does not have a degree of those 20 yo and up. Striking up a conversation with a 15 year old here and the US is a radically different experience. The result is an American parent suddenly realizes that we are creating generations of short charged less competitive young adults who are dangerously ill-prepared for life."

This is St. Petersburg of course, but you'll find throughout Russia "these circles" in each and every city, because Russian culture in general is geared towards "being intellectual," in spite of all the attempts of the late to eliminate this tendency and make it more mercantile, more materialistic and more geared towards "making money" as the US.
And no, Putin ( who loves money so much) is considered rather shrewd and "smart." But an "intellectual?" Hardly.
That is not to say that Russia is not a place of "peasants" and all kind of brutes, but overall, traditionally, Russian culture strives for being intellectual, not materialistic so much.

Last edited by erasure; 04-08-2016 at 08:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe