Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2016, 01:48 PM

291 posts, read 277,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by civis View Post
That's partially true, however even on PBS I just don't see political shows which would provide unbiased coverage/discussions of various topics. It's all about "US is da best, da greatest and we are always right and <insert any US 'enemy' here> needs punishment because they don't comply with our vision", which is utterly biased, ignorant and boring.
Clearly you have never actually watched anything on PBS. It has entire series that are highly critical of most aspects of the USA including the poor health care system, economic problems, income inequality, religion, the school system, the country's racist past, the military and so forth. In fact, almost every acclaimed original mini series on PBS in the past decade has been a critical piece. Even Ken Burns documentaries are not mere America boosting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2016, 03:41 PM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times
This is probably the best Russian PR move, ever.
The symphony orchestra of renown St. Petersburg's Mariinsky Theater arrived in destroyed Palmira to give a concert "With Prayers for Palmira" in historic amphitheater, that was still miraculously in one piece, unlike other artifacts in the city destroyed by Islamic bozos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkukdZmxKyA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0xLKcvRY0M

Old 05-06-2016, 12:42 PM

617 posts, read 538,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Harold View Post
Clearly you have never actually watched anything on PBS. It has entire series that are highly critical of most aspects of the USA including the poor health care system, economic problems, income inequality, religion, the school system, the country's racist past, the military and so forth. In fact, almost every acclaimed original mini series on PBS in the past decade has been a critical piece. Even Ken Burns documentaries are not mere America boosting.
Clearly you guys have reading comprehension issues.
As I clearly stated originally it's not INTERNAL problems that are not correctly covered by American media, but FOREIGN affairs, where so called "enemies" of the US are always misrepresented and painted black regardless of real facts, while anything US does to other countries including straight murder is presented as absolutely infallible and basically act of God.

Old 05-06-2016, 01:12 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
As I clearly stated originally it's not INTERNAL problems that are not correctly covered by American media, but FOREIGN affairs, where so called "enemies" of the US are always misrepresented and painted black regardless of real facts, while anything US does to other countries including straight murder is presented as absolutely infallible and basically act of God.
Your statement about PBS wasn't nuanced, like this, but that's ok--we'll take your clarification. There have always been expose-type programs on PBS and CBS that report on corrupt regimes the US supports, aimed at revealing that some of our ostensible allies are not the good guys. Granted, these are a small percentage of overall news-related programming, but the point is that it is possible to get accurate reporting that presents an alternate view to mainstream news, and it can be done on regular network stations without paying for any cable service.

And there's always National Public Radio, for a lot more investigative reporting, critique, and a strong reality-check.

Old 05-06-2016, 01:14 PM

291 posts, read 277,303 times
Quote:
I'm not the one with reading comprehension issues. PBS was mentioned not american media in general. There's none of what you say on PBS. PBS is relatively critical in regards to foreign policy and especially military action. The NOVA piece about drones was a bit too gee whiz about the tech and light on those issues, though.

Old 05-06-2016, 02:51 PM

617 posts, read 538,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Your statement about PBS wasn't nuanced, like this, but that's ok--we'll take your clarification. There have always been expose-type programs on PBS and CBS that report on corrupt regimes the US supports, aimed at revealing that some of our ostensible allies are not the good guys. Granted, these are a small percentage of overall news-related programming, but the point is that it is possible to get accurate reporting that presents an alternate view to mainstream news, and it can be done on regular network stations without paying for any cable service.

And there's always National Public Radio, for a lot more investigative reporting, critique, and a strong reality-check.
You just proved my point: Americans are not capable of self criticism, anything critical I say about US, folks here quickly reply it's not true, and sugar-coat everything.

Yet, when it comes to criticize Russia or any other non-western country it's all nothing but hate and disinformation, while having really shallow knowledge on the subject.

Old 05-06-2016, 02:58 PM

376 posts, read 489,297 times
Quote:
You just proved my point: Americans are not capable of self criticism, anything critical I say about US, folks here quickly reply it's not true, and sugar-coat everything.

Yet, when it comes to criticize Russia or any other non-western country it's all nothing but hate and disinformation, while having really shallow knowledge on the subject.
I actually tend to like Russians, and think that I understand enough of Russia's history to see some justification in the distrust of the West, and of the claim to be the 'Third Rome". That said, Russians as a group can be pretty crazy, and none more so than when discussing Russia's nationalistic / imperialist ambitions. You yourself in another thread have just justified the mass Baltic deportations during and after WWII as being done to thieves and murderers exclusively. And I can certainly take criticism of America (I'd better be able to, being married into a Lithuanian family), but that doesn't mean that I am going to accept weird conspiracy theories at face value.

Old 05-06-2016, 05:35 PM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times
Quote:

Because what you are saying about the US is not EXACTLY true.
But "shallow knowledge" about Russia around here is true too.

P.S. There is no "hate and disinformation" about Russia on Ruth's part - far away from it.

Old 05-07-2016, 12:57 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,443,411 times
Thanx for posting those videos Erasure. That was an AWESOME idea. I would have loved to have been there.

Old 05-07-2016, 01:20 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:

Relax, civis. You made a blanket statement, and a couple of us pointed out that there are exceptions. We didn't defend the entire media, we simply said that there are a few alternative sources of info that don't whitewash life in the US and foreign policy.

You haven't been around here long enough to know what my posting on Russia is like. Again: unfounded sweeping generalizations. Oh well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe