Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2016, 10:41 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,801,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
^
What is this "ahem" Ariete?
All these "ethnic maps" that you are trying to present here were null and void by the map I've posted above, because it's not exactly the "ethnicity" that divide Eastern and Western provinces of Ukraine, but history and culture.
Since Russia is born of Kiev, the transitional area from "the fringes" of the Russian Empire ( i.e. that's what "Ukraine" means) to the "Russia proper" lies through the Eastern part of the (now) country.
(And it doesn't "magically" stop somehow at the "demarcation line," that 's why Kuban' ( the Southern part of Russia) is as "Eastern Ukrainian" as it's "Southern Russian.")
The transitional area to Poland ( and the domain of Catholic culture/church) lies through the Western provinces of Ukraine. And then you have everything in-between in Central areas of Ukraine.
But it's all Ukraine now, Crimea included.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2016, 12:04 PM

5,786 posts, read 4,231,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
But it's all Ukraine now, Crimea included.
Be realistic. When you go into the virtual world, you take wrong decisions.

Old 10-20-2016, 12:32 PM

I found a great video! Satanovskiy and Posner. (Russian language only, sorry).

https://youtu.be/oVoPG6lx6Lk

Old 10-20-2016, 01:56 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,430,555 times
On the subject of east/west Ukraine, let's see what a couple of east Ukrainian metal bands (both from Kharkiv) have to say

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4ZzqWhvOVA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LZL98ZFz6g

Old 10-20-2016, 04:20 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,801,188 times
Not in Russia, but certainly of Russian descent:

1,500-Year-Old Mummy Appears To Be Wearing Adidas Trainers | IFLScience

Old 10-20-2016, 05:59 PM

4,692 posts, read 1,164,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
, BUT FEDERALIZED, keeping in mind the economic needs of Eastern, industrial part of Ukraine that was connected to Russia?
In Ukraine, instead of federalization introduced decentralization. When most of the money remains in the regions where registered taxpayers. The question about federalization removed.
Currently occupied territories have a miserable existence. In economic terms it is a complete failure.

Old 10-20-2016, 08:45 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,925,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Ahem...
Something this map doesn't take into account is that Ukrainian language isn't a uniform language, it has a lot of dialects, and many of them are actually better described as hybrid languages. For instance I can understand a Ukrainian person from the eastern regions fairly well, but Ukrainians from the central and western parts I can barely understand. The dialect spoken in the east is very similar to Russian, and also Russian spoken in the south has some similarities to Ukrainian. One of those east Ukrainian dialects is called surzhyk which is spoken by verka serduchka (the Ukrainian drag queen in Eurovision) The Slavic languages don't have concrete boarders, it's very fluid and transitional. If you go from Rostov on Don and then go to Donetsk, you won't notice much difference in language or culture. The only difference is that Donetsk is in ruins.

Old 10-20-2016, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
On the subject of east/west Ukraine, let's see what a couple of east Ukrainian metal bands (both from Kharkiv) have to say
A lot of bands of this genre exist In Russia.

For example:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/42593264-post422.html

Old 10-21-2016, 01:01 AM

Good article. I think that this media is not popular in Britain?

Quote:
A month or so back I spoke to a chap who worked on behalf of the refugees in those two benighted countries and was certainly no friend of the Assad regime. What would be the best scenario now, I asked him? ‘That Russia and Assad win as quickly as possible. That would minimise the number of civilians killed.’ But we are doing what we can to prevent that outcome, thus prolonging the war.
Stop this stupid sabre-rattling against Russia

Old 10-22-2016, 05:23 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 14 hours ago)

27,162 posts, read 13,449,232 times
ROFL

It was embarrasing watching that Russian Aircraft Carrier yesterday, the whole of the English Channel was covered in smoke, I am just glad it didn't breakdown.

If it has any problems on the way back, I have some jump leads in the back of the car.

Belching smoke through the Channel, Russian aircraft carrier so unreliable it sails with its own breakdown tug - Telegraph

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe