Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2016, 03:56 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,801,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Finland had a choice, but they joined Germany the same reason countries like Hungary did, to get land.

Of course by 1944, Finland was on the defensive, driven back from the gained territories, and after the president resigned, had the Lapland War.

Finland had war crime trials and responsibility of war trials, hundreds of people were convicted. Topics ranging from allying with Germany, to prisoner exchanges, to concentration camps camps set up for Russian civilians, to 1/4 of Soviet POWs dying were covered.
The other choice was to starve and ultimately be occupied by USSR in 1944-45. And we went to war to get back the areas the USSR unlawfully stole from us.

The 'war crime' trials were totally fake and done only because the USSR demanded it. The US and UK couldn't care less. 8 people were convicted, ranging from 2 to 10 years in prison. Nobody served more than three years. The men convicted haven't been posthumously pardoned, as the official stance is "we cannot return the honour of people who never lost it in the first place". Today these men are considered heroes; patriotic men defending the Western democratic civilisation against the murderous barbarian horde of the Soviets.

Yes, there were internment camps, but the imprisoned had better conditions than the Soviet soldier sometimes did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2016, 05:57 PM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
Something this map doesn't take into account is that Ukrainian language isn't a uniform language, it has a lot of dialects, and many of them are actually better described as hybrid languages. For instance I can understand a Ukrainian person from the eastern regions fairly well, but Ukrainians from the central and western parts I can barely understand. The dialect spoken in the east is very similar to Russian, and also Russian spoken in the south has some similarities to Ukrainian. One of those east Ukrainian dialects is called surzhyk which is spoken by verka serduchka (the Ukrainian drag queen in Eurovision) The Slavic languages don't have concrete boarders, it's very fluid and transitional. If you go from Rostov on Don and then go to Donetsk, you won't notice much difference in language or culture. The only difference is that Donetsk is in ruins.
This is correct;"Ukrainian" starts with a version that's as close to Russian as it gets at Eastern borders and start reminding more of Polish, with Polish ( or Hungarian) roots of the words, the more you move to the West of the country. Hence the whole Ukraine is really a transitional area from "Russia proper" to Poland; from Orthodox to Catholic domain.

Old 10-25-2016, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
But it's all Ukraine now, Crimea included.
Yeah right.
( Bwa-ha-ha, just thought about it now, while watching THIS ( "Seventeen Moments of Spring" remake)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R07TIgQh2CM

Old 10-26-2016, 03:47 AM

4,692 posts, read 1,164,859 times
Russian occupants keep fire in Ukraine.
HBO/ViceNews report.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQLCGIyZyQY

Old 10-26-2016, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec Solano View Post
Russian occupants keep fire in Ukraine.
HBO/ViceNews report.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQLCGIyZyQY
Yeah-yeah-yeah, go complain to your overlords how horrid it is, when "so-called separatists" are shooting at Ukrainian army.
But then, again you might want to ask someone from Donetsk ( we have such poster here) how it feels when Ukrainian trooops are bombing the civilian population, while breaking the cease fire.

Meanwhile, to cheer you up - here is hello from the "so-called separatists" from the "so-called DNR"))))

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmolVWRS1q4

Old 10-26-2016, 04:30 PM

4,692 posts, read 1,164,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
But then, again you might want to ask someone from Donetsk ( we have such poster here) how it feels when Ukrainian trooops are bombing the civilian population, while breaking the cease fire.
Let run or fight. They made their own choice. Or say thanks to Putin.

Old 10-27-2016, 12:44 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,801,188 times
Whoops, the joke's on you. It wasn't a "CIA junta" who wanted to break up Ukraine, but the Kremlin.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...v-east-ukraine

I guess nobody but Russophiles are surprised.

Old 10-27-2016, 01:40 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Whoops, the joke's on you. It wasn't a "CIA junta" who wanted to break up Ukraine, but the Kremlin.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...v-east-ukraine

Where does it state this in the article?

All I seen reference to it was "This could explain why the 2014 emails were released alongside what looked like a crude forgery, supposedly a current Kremlin plan to destabilise Ukraine."

Old 10-27-2016, 05:35 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,438,768 times
My Russian is not that good with music but I think I heard the words "polnaya zhopa" in the song Erasure posted. Could anyone translate it? I just don't have the time now.

Old 10-27-2016, 05:44 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,438,768 times
Quote:
No, not surprised at all. I can recognize BS when I see it. The US and its fellow European lackeys are stupid enough to do something like that and do regularly. Recent history says Russia does just the opposite for the most part. It's a matter of record.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe