Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2016, 06:47 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,443,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Not sure what you mean, here. All I ever buy from US grocers is fresh and unprocessed. The problem I have with grocery shopping in Russia is that there's not much available for fresh veggies. I had no problem before, adjusting to the local diet--who doesn't like Russian food? But now that I'm older, I have a more restricted diet, and can't do starches. I'm more dependent on green veggies and protein.
I had a different experience. I rarely went to a supermarket over there and preferred the smaller restaurants and local eateries most of the time as I was in a hotel and I had pd. When I was with family and friends we would go to the local farmers markets and little fast food vendors. I'll never forget the restaurant Gomel just down from the train station. Beef cutlets blinis potatoes and beer. The best pizza I ever had was in Kursk and in Kiev some Rissoles that I would have fought a wolf over. I'd eat veggies raw that in America I wouldn't even touch. Aroma is what I remember to be the biggest difference. Tomatoes, carrots, cabbages, cherries, pears and apples to me were better. I saw carrots that could be used as clubs and had chicken legs at Smolensk train station that were far and away better than anything I ever ate here from a supermarket. An acquaintance of mine recently bought a free range chicken and it was comparable in taste.

Its been 8 years since I've been there and I heard its changed. I go to an Asian market or Saars close to my house instead of my local Safeway or Albertsons. It's better and my lifestyle allows for little else. Most meals these last few years are from Arbys, BK or 7-11. That crap is going to kill me. Maybe the quality of the foods I comparing has changed. I don't know but next May I'll be in Russia again. We'll see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2016, 06:55 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
P.S. This Croatian Ariete?

OK, next time we will be spelling Russian in Latin specially for you, since it won't look "messed up" ( according to you)))
Seems like it.

All Slavic languages are hard to pronounce, as they have so many unfamiliar sounds.

Old 11-01-2016, 07:00 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,443,411 times
Quote:
PS: If the story was not that it should be invented. The nation must have its own symbols and reasons for pride.

You sound like an American 20 something trying to justify their addiction to some drug. A tremendous body of knowledge will tell you drugs may be great to experience but when the rubber meets the road WILL destroy you. Sometimes a good time comes with too high a price. .

No country should invent anything, no country should deny or alter their heritage or their history. Our history is what makes our civilization possible. We can't go ahead without knowing where we've been. Distortion of our history, anyones history, any nations history does a disservice to all of humanity.

What the lunatics in Kiev are doing now will come back to bite them.

Old 11-02-2016, 12:01 AM

4,692 posts, read 1,165,924 times
Quote:
That's because all these Slavic languages REALLY should be written in Cyrillic. Then all these strange "partnerships" ( like cz and sc) would be substituted with one single Cyrillic letter instead.
And THAN reading those languages would become pretty straightforward, like reading Russian.
Learning how to read Russian is pretty easy. Now GRAMMAR is the whole different thing.

Old 11-02-2016, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
I had a different experience. I rarely went to a supermarket over there and preferred the smaller restaurants and local eateries most of the time as I was in a hotel and I had pd. When I was with family and friends we would go to the local farmers markets and little fast food vendors. I'll never forget the restaurant Gomel just down from the train station. Beef cutlets blinis potatoes and beer. The best pizza I ever had was in Kursk and in Kiev some Rissoles that I would have fought a wolf over. I'd eat veggies raw that in America I wouldn't even touch. Aroma is what I remember to be the biggest difference. Tomatoes, carrots, cabbages, cherries, pears and apples to me were better. I saw carrots that could be used as clubs and had chicken legs at Smolensk train station that were far and away better than anything I ever ate here from a supermarket. An acquaintance of mine recently bought a free range chicken and it was comparable in taste.

Its been 8 years since I've been there and I heard its changed. I go to an Asian market or Saars close to my house instead of my local Safeway or Albertsons. It's better and my lifestyle allows for little else. Most meals these last few years are from Arbys, BK or 7-11. That crap is going to kill me. Maybe the quality of the foods I comparing has changed. I don't know but next May I'll be in Russia again. We'll see.
Travel and living are two different things.

Old 11-02-2016, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karstic View Post
Their business, even if they want to adopt Chinese.

Russian very jealous about Ukrainians!

Old 11-02-2016, 12:15 AM

5,786 posts, read 4,234,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karstic View Post
Their business, even if they want to adopt Chinese.
They are not uniform. Many people are unhappy and want to help Russia.

Old 11-02-2016, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Sure, and so can Russia, when an attempt is made to use the neighboring country against her geopolitical interests.
Very soon your geographical interest will be to not to have run their own autonomous republics. About Caucasus can be forgotten for ex-Russian Federation. About Far East is the same. Good luck!

Old 11-02-2016, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
They are not uniform. Many people are unhappy and want to help Russia.
help people within own country

Old 11-02-2016, 02:31 AM

5,786 posts, read 4,234,324 times
It's interesting. Aral. The dying sea.

www.google.ru/maps/@45.2896571,59.7721772,396632m/data=!3m1!1e3

wiki:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aral_Sea
The Aral Sea was an endorheic lake lying between Kazakhstan (Aktobe and Kyzylorda Regions) in the north and Uzbekistan (Karakalpakstan autonomous region) in the south. The name roughly translates as "Sea of Islands", referring to over 1,100 islands that once dotted its waters; in the Turkic languages aral means "island, archipelago". The Aral Sea drainage basin encompasses Uzbekistan and parts of Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Kyrgyzstan, Kazakhstan, Afghanistan and Pakistan.[1]

Formerly one of the four largest lakes in the world with an area of 68,000 km2 (26,300 sq mi), the Aral Sea has been steadily shrinking since the 1960s after the rivers that fed it were diverted by Soviet irrigation projects. By 2007, it had declined to 10% of its original size, splitting into four lakes – the North Aral Sea, the eastern and western basins of the once far larger South Aral Sea, and one smaller lake between the North and South Aral Seas.[4] By 2009, the southeastern lake had disappeared and the southwestern lake had retreated to a thin strip at the western edge of the former southern sea; in subsequent years, occasional water flows have led to the southeastern lake sometimes being replenished to a small degree.[5] Satellite images taken by NASA in August 2014 revealed that for the first time in modern history the eastern basin of the Aral Sea had completely dried up.[6] The eastern basin is now called the Aralkum Desert.

In an ongoing effort in Kazakhstan to save and replenish the North Aral Sea, a dam project was completed in 2005; in 2008, the water level in this lake had risen by 12 m (39 ft) compared to 2003.[7] Salinity has dropped, and fish are again found in sufficient numbers for some fishing to be viable.[8] The maximum depth of the North Aral Sea is 42 m (138 ft) (as of 2008).[2]

The shrinking of the Aral Sea has been called "one of the planet's worst environmental disasters".[9][10] The region's once-prosperous fishing industry has been essentially destroyed, bringing unemployment and economic hardship. The Aral Sea region is also heavily polluted, with consequential serious public health problems.
(с)wiki
The Aral Sea in 1989 (left) and 2014 (right):

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...a1989_2014.jpg

https://media1.britannica.com/eb-med...4-2EE08E56.jpg

More photos and videos:
tourweek.ru/user/1503/blogs/116520/

http://tourweek.ru/upload/resize_cac...a5d98ae421.jpg

http://tourweek.ru/upload/resize_cac...7e19a43d62.jpg

http://tourweek.ru/upload/resize_cac...8051ef8671.jpg

http://tourweek.ru/upload/resize_cac...0f228178ea.jpg

http://tourweek.ru/upload/resize_cac...ff70d26375.jpg

Description of interesting travel (Russian language, many photos):
www.e1.ru/articles/travel/009/060/article_9060.html

+ Pink Floyd - Louder Than Words - Official Music Video

https://youtu.be/Ezc4HdLGxg4
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe