Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2016, 11:17 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post

In the end it was all about power and influence. Being Orthodox was as 'wrong' as being pagan.
That's interesting, considering the Orthodox Church considers itself to be the one true faith, and that the Catholics are the upstarts. But then....everyone considers their religion to be the one true faith. It's so silly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2016, 11:46 AM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anhityk View Post
My question, preferably to Russians to answer: what do Russians think about smaller Slavic countries who hold the pro-west/pro-us lines belonging into NATO and EU and whose governments are opposing to Russia´s line? Is such position seen by general public in Russia as sort of, let´s say betrayal? Or perhaps the linguistic connections make no that big sense?
You'd be surprised but already back in 1877, F. Dostoyevsky issued a warning regarding this subject, stating that "Russia never had and never will have such haters, enviers, slanderers and and open enemies as all these Slavic people, as soon as Russia will set them free and Europe will accept to acknowledge their freedom. Please don't argue with me, don't contradict me and don't yell at me that I exaggerate and that I am a Slav hater..."

..:

He goes further in this paper "On a subject of Slavs..." explaining why he thinks so (it's all happening during times of Russian-Turkish wars from what I remember,) and what will happen after these people are set free from Turks by the Russians.
Russians DO cite this paper lately I have to say and yes, I see the sentiment of betrayal expressed in their opinions regarding this NATO allignment. On another hand, Serbs ( who out of all people) could have direct the same accusation to Russians after the events of the nineties, retain amazingly pro-Russian stance until now.
But that is not to say that I see only Serbs coming to Russian cites and commenting there.
I see Bulgarians as well, that still can scramble their Russian together coming to express their solidarity with Russians, saying "do not confuse government with people - we still remember you and everything you did for us."

Old 08-29-2016, 01:51 PM

28 posts, read 29,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
You'd be surprised but already back in 1877, F. Dostoyevsky issued a warning regarding this subject, stating that "Russia never had and never will have such haters, enviers, slanderers and and open enemies as all these Slavic people, as soon as Russia will set them free and Europe will accept to acknowledge their freedom. Please don't argue with me, don't contradict me and don't yell at me that I exaggerate and that I am a Slav hater..."

..:

He goes further in this paper "On a subject of Slavs..." explaining why he thinks so (it's all happening during times of Russian-Turkish wars from what I remember,) and what will happen after these people are set free from Turks by the Russians.
Russians DO cite this paper lately I have to say and yes, I see the sentiment of betrayal expressed in their opinions regarding this NATO allignment. On another hand, Serbs ( who out of all people) could have direct the same accusation to Russians after the events of the nineties, retain amazingly pro-Russian stance until now.
But that is not to say that I see only Serbs coming to Russian cites and commenting there.
I see Bulgarians as well, that still can scramble their Russian together coming to express their solidarity with Russians, saying "do not confuse government with people - we still remember you and everything you did for us."
And what have these Slavic people done to Russians? Nothing. All they want is to get away from Russian tyranny which seems to creep in time and time again.

Old 08-29-2016, 02:44 PM

5,786 posts, read 4,234,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by askaris View Post
And what have these Slavic people done to Russians? Nothing. All they want is to get away from Russian tyranny which seems to creep in time and time again.
I think you do not understand what you write.

Old 08-29-2016, 02:51 PM

28 posts, read 29,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
I think you do not understand what you write.
The biggest enemy Russians have is yourselves.

Old 08-30-2016, 12:12 AM

5,786 posts, read 4,234,324 times
Interesting. History of Russia in the photos. 1860-2000.

russiainphoto.ru

Old 08-30-2016, 08:09 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times
Report: Russia now a greater threat to Finland | Yle Uutiset | yle.fi

Same in Finnish:

Venäjä on Suomelle entistä suurempi riski, Ulkopoliittinen instituutti varoittaa | Yle Uutiset | yle.fi

"Russia is an even bigger threat than before. Finnish companies should avoid making big investments in Russia. Finland should neither keep a dialogue without the EU's consent (i.e. Germany, France) says the institute of foreign politics".

Old 08-30-2016, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Report: Russia now a greater threat to Finland | Yle Uutiset | yle.fi

Same in Finnish:

Venäjä on Suomelle entistä suurempi riski, Ulkopoliittinen instituutti varoittaa | Yle Uutiset | yle.fi

"Russia is an even bigger threat than before. Finnish companies should avoid making big investments in Russia. Finland should neither keep a dialogue without the EU's consent (i.e. Germany, France) says the institute of foreign politics".
Wow.
Something tells me that there will be more cartoons appearing with a Russky flag-ball among the Finn & Scandinavian balls, in the future. A whole sub-genre, perhaps.

I was shocked on a visit to the east coast (USA) years ago, to discover that one of Russia's oil companies has gas stations all around the region! It's symbol looks like a flame to me, but I suppose it's supposed to be a drop of oil (weird logo). It's bright red, and the gas stations say "LUKOIL" in big red letters. What the heck are Russian petrol companies doing, selling in the US? They look very ominous, I'm not comfortable with that at all, and neither are the local people I asked about it. The invasion has begun?

Old 08-30-2016, 11:35 AM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Wow.
Something tells me that there will be more cartoons appearing with a Russky flag-ball among the Finn & Scandinavian balls, in the future. A whole sub-genre, perhaps.

I was shocked on a visit to the east coast (USA) years ago, to discover that one of Russia's oil companies has gas stations all around the region! It's symbol looks like a flame to me, but I suppose it's supposed to be a drop of oil (weird logo). It's bright red, and the gas stations say "LUKOIL" in big red letters. What the heck are Russian petrol companies doing, selling in the US? They look very ominous, I'm not comfortable with that at all, and neither are the local people I asked about it. The invasion has begun?
Yep.
In the same manner as Russians feel very edgy about American presence in Yekaterinburg, in Ural.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiJ8jBmC0x4

I hear about it on Russian sites.

Old 08-30-2016, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Yep.
In the same manner as Russians feel very edgy about American presence in Yekaterinburg, in Ural.

I hear about it on Russian sites.
I couldn't sit through it all. It's mostly nonsense. What concerned me, though, was that they said the car that chauffeured the US consul around town didn't have license plates. Why would that be? Is that even true? I can't imagine. Anyway, it made perfect sense that the consul was in town to stimulate business partnerships and cultural exchanges. That's what US embassies are tasked with. Too bad so much hysteria accompanies the presence of business and cultural attaches.

Gawd, I need to switch nationalities if I want to go back to Russia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe