Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2016, 12:08 PM

5,786 posts, read 4,231,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
In the same manner as Russians feel very edgy about American presence in Yekaterinburg, in Ural.
This is Ren-TV. Cesspool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2016, 12:12 PM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
This is Ren-TV. Cesspool.
it doesn't matter in this case Maxim.
You know the sentiment is there, and it's promoted by certain part of population.
They might as well be represented by Ren-TV

Old 08-30-2016, 12:16 PM

Quote:
it doesn't matter in this case Maxim.
You know the sentiment is there, and it's promoted by certain part of population.
They might as well be represented by Ren-TV
This is important! This is Ren TV! Only crazy watching it.

http://vsekidki.ru/uploads/posts/201..._363635507.png

Although you are something right. Crazy always have a certain percentage in the society.

Old 08-30-2016, 12:18 PM

102,209 posts, read 107,859,557 times
BTW, is there a reason they referred to the consul by her first name, instead of calling her gospozha + last name? The problem with American names is that there's no patronymic, so all Russians can do is use the first name, usually, and when speaking of a high official, it sounds disrespectful. Are they really going to call the next president Clinton, "Hillary"? Did they call her husband "Bill"? (That really wouldn't work in Russian, lol!)

Old 08-30-2016, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
BTW, is there a reason they referred to the consul by her first name, instead of calling her gospozha + last name? The problem with American names is that there's no patronymic, so all Russians can do is use the first name, usually, and when speaking of a high official, it sounds disrespectful. Are they really going to call the next president Clinton, "Hillary"? Did they call her husband "Bill"? (That really wouldn't work in Russian, lol!)
OMG... you don't want to know what they call her)))

P.S. They never refer to B. Clinton by first name - only last one.

Old 08-30-2016, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Everything is very simple. Clinton is the man. Like the elephant (slon) in Russian. Elephant female in Russian is "sloniha". So Clinton female is "Clintoniha" (Клинтониха).

This is a joke.

Old 08-30-2016, 12:49 PM

102,209 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:

P.S. They never refer to B. Clinton by first name - only last one.
Yes, right, thank you. But they called the consul "Tracy". (Or was I mistaken? I thought I heard them refer to her as "Tracy". ) When I've been in Russia on work-related matters, officials have tried to create a patronymic for me, so they could refer to me the customary way. But it doesn't work, because my father's name is a Scottish one, and it doesn't transfer to Russian well at all (it's Wallace), so they gave up. Yet they felt a little awkward about simply using my first name, but using the title "gospozha" didn't come naturally to some people. (It was the first half of the 90's, and a lot of people weren't used to it). It really sounds a bit patronizing or childish to use only the first name, except in informal settings, like in people's kitchens over tea, or something. Well, we can only assume/hope they'll give her the same respect they gave Bill.

And thank you for sparing me the details of how they refer to her currently, @erasure.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 08-30-2016 at 01:28 PM..

Old 08-31-2016, 12:11 AM

The next interesting blog.

Lana Sator.

http://img-fotki.yandex.ru/get/4423/...dd0240_XXL.jpg

The blog will be interesting for fans of urban trip, diggers and fans the Soviet legacy. Russian language, many photos.

https://img-fotki.yandex.ru/get/9067..._52ff074_L.jpg

http://img-fotki.yandex.ru/get/6808/...717c676d_L.jpg

https://img-fotki.yandex.ru/get/9825..._14566c1_L.jpg

https://img-fotki.yandex.ru/get/4750...2f889dae_L.jpg

lana-sator.livejournal.com

Last edited by Maksim_Frolov; 08-31-2016 at 12:22 AM.. Reason: fix link

Old 08-31-2016, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by askaris View Post
And what have these Slavic people done to Russians? Nothing. All they want is to get away from Russian tyranny which seems to creep in time and time again.

Open the history books, take note what side Bulgarian government took during both wars - WWI and WWII, learn what role Poland played TWICE when Russian state has been weakened back in history, read about Croats and their actions during the WWII ( Croats are *Slavic people* too - innit?)
With other words do your homework first, may be then you won't be coming up with these naive questions.

Old 08-31-2016, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Yes, right, thank you. But they called the consul "Tracy". (Or was I mistaken? I thought I heard them refer to her as "Tracy". )
They use all these "gospozha" and stuff during official visits and on "official" government channel. But this was kinda "investigation," so no official titles were used.

Quote:
When I've been in Russia on work-related matters, officials have tried to create a patronymic for me, so they could refer to me the customary way. But it doesn't work, because my father's name is a Scottish one, and it doesn't transfer to Russian well at all (it's Wallace), so they gave up. Yet they felt a little awkward about simply using my first name, but using the title "gospozha" didn't come naturally to some people. (It was the first half of the 90's, and a lot of people weren't used to it). It really sounds a bit patronizing or childish to use only the first name, except in informal settings, like in people's kitchens over tea, or something. Well, we can only assume/hope they'll give her the same respect they gave Bill. And thank you for sparing me the details of how they refer to her currently, @erasure.
During official visits all the official ethics will be uphold I'm sure; what's going on unofficially is a totally different matter.
Maxim was right when he described the use of certain suffixes in Russian to create the f. equivalent of male's name, but what has been left out there, is the kind of connotation such suffix has.
English language doesn't use suffixes in these situations; French and German do ( in limited capacity,) which ascribe the original word slightly different meaning. But when it comes to Russian language - lol, it thrives on this ability. So the suffix that's used to identify Mrs. Clinton is not the most flattering one - let's put it this way)))
Oh, and Bill Clinton is not respected by Russians.
He used to be, initially, but not after Russians figured out what him ( and his actions) were all about.
It's what's called "Fool me ones."
Mrs. Clinton is considered to be in the same category by your average Russian.

They are rooting for Trump down there, lol)))
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe