Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2016, 12:49 PM

184 posts, read 221,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
Russians believe in these elections. This is the answer to your question.
It doesn't sound strange for them if the results are always the same and there are videos of falsifications everywhere on the web ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2016, 12:54 PM

102,200 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
That's what they said in the Soviet period, too. Westerners would ask, "Why bother voting, if there's only one candidate, and he's pre-selected?" And the answer always was, "It's democracy!"

Old 09-18-2016, 01:44 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,810,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arthurrdim View Post
I know Russia pretty well (I speak russian fluently), I'm married to a Russian and I did all my studies in Moscow.

One question : why do russian authorities organize russian elections if they're always fake ? You can find videos on Facebook and vkontakte showing falsifications. Besides, the results are very similar.

Why does russian authorities don't create a unique party like in China ? It would be exactly the same and would be more honest. Nobody around the world believe in these elections.
Because they do not want the same situation to happen like in Egypt, where the population voted in the Muslim Brotherhood.

If left to a true democracy, the Russian population has a good chance of voting in a communist or a nationalist, which would be detrimental to Russia. The political education for a lot of its population is not up to speed, and the constitutional protections are not there to preserve the government and society institutions like in the US if some idiot was voted in.

Look at Ukraine, it fair election process did them no good, they decided to oust Yanukovich by force even though he was elected in a fair election. So why in the hell do people think fair elections are worth the damn, when it is shown that they indeed do not always result in an optimal outcome for the country and people?

Not that I am against elections, but viewing everything from a US/West point of view does not give the best picture of reality in many places.

Old 09-18-2016, 01:48 PM

5,786 posts, read 4,230,293 times
Quote:
It doesn't sound strange for them if the results are always the same and there are videos of falsifications everywhere on the web ?
The results reflect the reality. Anyone can join the observers for voting, I do not trust videos from the web. Facebook does not reflect the real Russia.

People want the illusion of freedom and peaceful life. They get it and satisfied.

Old 09-18-2016, 01:55 PM

5,786 posts, read 4,230,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
That's what they said in the Soviet period, too. Westerners would ask, "Why bother voting, if there's only one candidate, and he's pre-selected?" And the answer always was, "It's democracy!"
Modern elections in Russia have competition and control methods falsifications. It is a living, working system. I think that the comparison with the USSR is not true.

Old 09-18-2016, 03:28 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,799,193 times
Quote:
Voter turnout was 40%, so they don't seem to believe too much in the elections.

Old 09-18-2016, 03:39 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,810,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Voter turnout was 40%, so they don't seem to believe too much in the elections.
The US typically has low voter turn out during non-presidential election years. The 2014 elections had only a 36% turn out. But I would not say the US does not believe in elections.

Old 09-18-2016, 04:15 PM

26,778 posts, read 22,534,034 times
Quote:
Even if the falsifications are removed, chances are - the majority of Russians still won't want to have any changes at this point in time.
Remember, elections in the Western countries where candidates are not not attached/not sponsored by foreign countries are not the same as in Russia, where it's not a case.
If Russia is up for changes, they'll come from within the governmental circles, not from the "masses."

Old 09-18-2016, 04:52 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,437,689 times
Hey Maks. I can't find the cartoon about the little girl that wants a dog. It was called Mittens in english or something like that. Can you find it?

Old 09-18-2016, 04:57 PM

102,200 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
Hey Maks. I can't find the cartoon about the little girl that wants a dog. It was called Mittens in english or something like that. Can you find it?
Cartoons? Can't we talk about the Yuri Norstein cartoons, and how far superior they were/are to anything the West has produced? ♥
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe