Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2017, 12:16 AM

5,786 posts, read 4,231,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Maxim, I would be VERY INTERESTED to hear your opinion on this subject - what do you see as specific Russian problems, that preclude Russia from having the Western style democracy?
I think that the main problem is building a vertical of power. Geography (huge distances), history (many lands are not historical for the Eastern Slavs) and national composition (some nations have hot mountain roots). A weak central authority will allow local authorities to take too much power, this will provoke banditry, separatism, violation of federal laws. The separation of these lands also does not solve the problem of stability (see Chechnya between 1 and 2 wars, Donbas, Transnistria, Nagorno-Karabakh, Abkhazia, etc.). Building a powerful vertical is impossible within a short presidential term. But only a strong central government can establish peace and prosperity in the Russian territory.

In addition, the president always represents a certain group of people. The constant change of groups of influence in the Russian realities will mean permanent economic wars. This will destroy the economy of the country.

Democracy implies competition and quality improvement. In Russia it was traditionally carried out with the help of palace coups. I think that Russia is not ready for Western-style democracy at the present time. Most likely something else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2017, 07:52 AM

37 posts, read 31,451 times
Nail bomb explodes on St Petersburg metro: 'Terrorist' seen throwing backpack onto train moments before shrapnel rips through carriages killing at least 12 as police search unexploded device on day Putin visits the city

Read more: St Petersburg metro explosions kill at least 12 in Russia | Daily Mail Online

Old 04-03-2017, 12:33 PM

Protests, terrorist attack... "Coincidence? I don't think so."(с)

Old 04-03-2017, 01:40 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,855,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
I think that the main problem is building a vertical of power. Geography (huge distances), history (many lands are not historical for the Eastern Slavs) and national composition (some nations have hot mountain roots). A weak central authority will allow local authorities to take too much power, this will provoke banditry, separatism, violation of federal laws. The separation of these lands also does not solve the problem of stability (see Chechnya between 1 and 2 wars, Donbas, Transnistria, Nagorno-Karabakh, Abkhazia, etc.). Building a powerful vertical is impossible within a short presidential term. But only a strong central government can establish peace and prosperity in the Russian territory.

In addition, the president always represents a certain group of people. The constant change of groups of influence in the Russian realities will mean permanent economic wars. This will destroy the economy of the country.

Democracy implies competition and quality improvement. In Russia it was traditionally carried out with the help of palace coups. I think that Russia is not ready for Western-style democracy at the present time. Most likely something else.
You definitely know what you're talking about. This was proven by the 90's experiment. Can you explain why Russia holds onto these eastern caucasus lands when they are the source of so much trouble? It seems most of the oil is gone there or gets paid back anyway. I bet today's bomber came from the region...

Old 04-03-2017, 03:47 PM

4,692 posts, read 1,164,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
Protests, terrorist attack... "Coincidence? I don't think so."(с)
Do you think its FSB tails?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blowing_Up_Russia

Old 04-03-2017, 03:49 PM

4,692 posts, read 1,164,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxicek View Post
Nail bomb explodes on St Petersburg metro: 'Terrorist' seen throwing backpack onto train moments before shrapnel rips through carriages killing at least 12 as police search unexploded device on day Putin visits the city

Read more: St Petersburg metro explosions kill at least 12 in Russia | Daily Mail Online
Its terrible terror action. Victims is innocent people.

Old 04-03-2017, 04:13 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,438,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
I have first hand experience with this. Trying to pretend that Russia doesn't have BIG problems is something unique to Russians. Inferiority complex is cultural. If I only watched Russian media, I would think that Russia is doing great and better than anywhere on earth.
It's just like here in America then. I see the paradise here in Seattle all the time. Honestly you're correct, Russia does have problems as does every other country in the world.

Like America, they seem to be unable to solve them. Or unwilling.

Old 04-04-2017, 01:21 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,855,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
It's just like here in America then. I see the paradise here in Seattle all the time. Honestly you're correct, Russia does have problems as does every other country in the world.

Like America, they seem to be unable to solve them. Or unwilling.
No its not just like America at all. There are rules and laws in America which help protect people from bad things that occur to Russians on a daily basis: Being kidnapped by police for a errant facebook post about the mayor. Or dying younger because there is no real health care for the average person. Curable cancer in Seattle is a death sentence in Vladivostok. A wife can be beaten up by her husband in a public place and police won't come. Cars driving down the sidewalk, you better get out of the way. Stepping on manhole covers puts your life at risk. Poverty level wages and pensions. Polluted water coming out the tap. People get very rich just by knowing someone in the government, not by doing anything useful to society. I could go on but I don't need to.

Old 04-04-2017, 01:44 PM

2,216 posts, read 1,021,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
No its not just like America at all. There are rules and laws in America which help protect people from bad things that occur to Russians on a daily basis: Being kidnapped by police for a errant facebook post about the mayor. Or dying younger because there is no real health care for the average person. Curable cancer in Seattle is a death sentence in Vladivostok. A wife can be beaten up by her husband in a public place and police won't come. Cars driving down the sidewalk, you better get out of the way. Stepping on manhole covers puts your life at risk. Poverty level wages and pensions. Polluted water coming out the tap. People get very rich just by knowing someone in the government, not by doing anything useful to society. I could go on but I don't need to.
Yeah, it's true, but not in reality, but in the inflamed imagination of the SNN's.

Old 04-04-2017, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turist View Post
Yeah, it's true, but not in reality, but in the inflamed imagination of the SNN's.
It's useless. While Western media create a negative image of Russia, such the post will always be.

Everyone can find something bad and everyone can come up with a beautiful fairy tale. Everyone can cure cancer in Seattle, only drinking water from a tap, ghettos have disappeared, blacks do not trade drugs and do not rob white people, unicorns run around the rainbow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe