Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2017, 02:05 PM

2,216 posts, read 1,020,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
It's useless. While Western media create a negative image of Russia, such the post will always be.

Everyone can find something bad and everyone can come up with a beautiful fairy tale. Everyone can cure cancer in Seattle, only drinking water from a tap, ghettos have disappeared, blacks do not trade drugs and do not rob white people, unicorns run around the rainbow.
Elves! The singing elves forgot)
And the polite police, who at first politely speak, and then shoot, no, they do not shoot at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2017, 02:39 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
No its not just like America at all. There are rules and laws in America which help protect people from bad things that occur to Russians on a daily basis: Being kidnapped by police for a errant facebook post about the mayor. Or dying younger because there is no real health care for the average person.
I wouldn't use that as an example, if I were you. And btw, I have a friend in Khabarovsk who was operated on for cancer, and is fine, 10+ years later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM;
Curable cancer in Seattle is a death sentence in Vladivostok. A wife can be beaten up by her husband in a public place and police won't come. Cars driving down the sidewalk, you better get out of the way. Stepping on manhole covers puts your life at risk. Poverty level wages and pensions. Polluted water coming out the tap. People get very rich just by knowing someone in the government, not by doing anything useful to society. I could go on but I don't need to.
The underlined is funny. Have you ever been to Paris? It's the capital of cars driving down the sidewalk. Poverty level wages and pensions? Um....... You're aware that many American pensioners can't even afford to retire in their own country...?

I wouldn't go on, if I were you. You're batting about 50/50.

Old 04-04-2017, 04:15 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,434,021 times
Quote:
No its not just like America at all. There are rules and laws in America which help protect people from bad things that occur to Russians on a daily basis: Being kidnapped by police for a errant facebook post about the mayor.
Its called slander and I believe the laws against it are enforced in Russia. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Quote:
Or dying younger because there is no real health care for the average person. Curable cancer in Seattle is a death sentence in Vladivostok.
Got proof of that? My ex wifes father had a tumor behind his nose and between his optic nerves. It was surgically removed
and it cost the family $1200 dollars. What would that have cost an American? I had a coworker back in the late 90s who had the same thing. The operation was $140,000 about 10,000 of which he had to pay himself. He was 26 and it devastated him financially. Here in America if you get sick it can be life ending too. You can end up on the street, impoverished. Americas medical system is in ways worse than cancer.

Quote:
A wife can be beaten up by her husband in a public place and police won't come.
That's a good thing. I like how the cops over there have the priorities straight. Let the families take care of it and having known Russians females myself it's something I would do only in SELF DEFENSE. Russian women are far from helpless.

Quote:
Cars driving down the sidewalk, you better get out of the way. Stepping on manhole covers puts your life at risk.
Seen that all over the world. I once got my hand broke in Naples Italy on the sidewalk. I have seen gangsters in cars running from Seattles finest Keystone cops down the sidewalk at Union St and 2nd Ave with people diving out of the way. There was a woman woke up to find her car stolen. She called a Taxi and when she was walking from the taxi to her workplace not 30 minutes later she was struck by her own car. The thief was running from the cops. She had both her legs broken. I'm sure the hospital bill required her to take out a mortgage or just declare bankruptcy.

Quote:
Poverty level wages and pensions.
That's MERIKA!!! A major part of Americans live at or near poverty. Most families are on some type of assistance.

Quote:
Polluted water coming out the tap.
I once changed the water in my daughters aquarium and did it by the book. The next morning every fish was dead. In Tacoma you cannot grow gardens. The soil is contaminated with Arsenic.

Quote:
People get very rich just by knowing someone in the government, not by doing anything useful to society. I could go on but I don't need to.
Nope, you've pretty much told me all I need to know. BTW. The above describes American government to a T.

Old 04-04-2017, 05:08 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,851,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I wouldn't use that as an example, if I were you. And btw, I have a friend in Khabarovsk who was operated on for cancer, and is fine, 10+ years later.
The underlined is funny. Have you ever been to Paris? It's the capital of cars driving down the sidewalk. Poverty level wages and pensions? Um....... You're aware that many American pensioners can't even afford to retire in their own country...?

I wouldn't go on, if I were you. You're batting about 50/50.
I have been to Paris and it has problems but I'm not comparing Paris to Seattle. No, I never had a car driving down the sidewalk at me in Paris. In Moscow, not only has this happened many times in my presence but I've been in a taxi which has done this. I'm speaking from my own experience living there and that of my extended family some of whom still live there. They just laugh and say you can't let your guard down.

You want to compare pensions? Americans who don't have any pensions outside of social security (the poorest of the poor) still get $1,000 a month plus free living and other help FAR better than a babushka will get even in Moscow.

Old 04-04-2017, 05:12 PM
DKM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
It's useless. While Western media create a negative image of Russia, such the post will always be.

Everyone can find something bad and everyone can come up with a beautiful fairy tale. Everyone can cure cancer in Seattle, only drinking water from a tap, ghettos have disappeared, blacks do not trade drugs and do not rob white people, unicorns run around the rainbow.
You want to blame western media for what I experienced living in Russia? OK go ahead. Maybe its better now I haven't been back in 9 years, but from what I've heard nothing has gotten better since the 2008 crisis. Yes I know a Russian who didn't die because she went to Germany to get operated on. Russians don't have access to good medical care, they get the basic stuff that you find in most 3rd world countries. Can you drink city water in Russia now? I highly doubt that.

Old 04-04-2017, 05:15 PM
DKM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post

I once changed the water in my daughters aquarium and did it by the book. The next morning every fish was dead. In Tacoma you cannot grow gardens. The soil is contaminated with Arsenic.

The reason you can't grow a garden in Tacoma is because its too cold/ wet and no sunshine there. Try a greenhouse. Tacoma does suck, I'll give you that. I'd probably choose many places in Russia over Tacoma

Old 04-05-2017, 12:00 AM

5,786 posts, read 4,227,242 times
Quote:
Yes I know a Russian who didn't die because she went to Germany to get operated on. Russians don't have access to good medical care, they get the basic stuff that you find in most 3rd world countries.
If you have money, you will get good treatment in most cases.

Quote:
Can you drink city water in Russia now? I highly doubt that.
In most cases, water is safe for one-time consumption. I would recommend to boil water. For a long time I use this filter:

https://s8.hostingkartinok.com/uploa...2b2d4ecbb8.jpg

https://s8.hostingkartinok.com/uploa...fa49c46df4.jpg

It is not expensive and it cleans the water well.

Old 04-05-2017, 09:45 AM

5,699 posts, read 4,920,492 times
Quote:
The reason you can't grow a garden in Tacoma is because its too cold/ wet and no sunshine there. Try a greenhouse. Tacoma does suck, I'll give you that. I'd probably choose many places in Russia over Tacoma
Tacoma is not dark and cold, https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taco...ington#Climate
And I live in Federal Way, about twenty mins away from Tacoma and grow lots of vegetables, including tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchini, peas, lettuce, onions, garlic, beets, plus many fruit trees such as apples, plums, cherries, pears, figs, mulberry, etc.

Old 04-05-2017, 11:54 AM
DKM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
Tacoma is not dark and cold, https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taco...ington#Climate
And I live in Federal Way, about twenty mins away from Tacoma and grow lots of vegetables, including tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchini, peas, lettuce, onions, garlic, beets, plus many fruit trees such as apples, plums, cherries, pears, figs, mulberry, etc.
There is no way you are growing tomatoes without a greenhouse in federal way? Or climate change is quite real...

Thank you for the pictures Maksim, that is quite interesting. Better than buying bottled water! One thing I miss about Russia is the convenience and ingenuity of people. Problems can often be solved much more efficiently. That and walking downstairs to the store was sure easier than getting in the car like I have to now

Old 04-05-2017, 12:14 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Have you ever lived in the Puget Sound region? Seattle has many backyard gardens and community P-patches. Summers in the region are dry, and are getting drier. Greenhouses aren't necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe