Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2017, 06:44 PM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
That's how its done. You piggy back different agendas in/through these NGOs.
Oh that's for sure.

Quote:
Ex wifes sister had a few issues with her kids going to a Sunday school. Her daughter started behaving like she was bad, that things she did and just her being a girl was not a good thing. She called other parents and they noticed a pattern. The girls were being told that to be a "proper woman" she had to be submissive and obedient yadda yadda.

It went over like a ton of bricks. They went to the city admin and raised holy hell. Pitch forks and torches all round. The founder of the church and some of the flock ended up having to leave Gomel. I guess he went back to America claiming he was prosecuted and his "mission" thrown out by commies and atheists. They were some Calvinist types from what I gathered. This was some 12 years ago. Her son still gives her a hard time about it. She wanted them to go for the experience and because she's a little religious (Russian Orth) too but didn't want to force them into that if they didn't want to.

Scrat, I don't know what to make out of it ( what you are telling here.)

Russian Orthodox Church is.. well, Orthodox. And that means that it follows the agenda, which would be regarded as "politically-incorrect" in the US, but IS consistent with the Bible - that is " and you wives submit under your husbands." ( Whatever verse that is.) Russia overall is a paternalistic culture and Orthodox religion is supportive of it; I mean women are not even allowed to come to church without covering their hair ( this is again following the bible's guide-lines.) All this "women is a princess" came to Russia relatively recently, only after the Americanization of the society, after certain amount of young women in Russia received "daddy's money."

So I am not sure what "Calvinist" church ( I assume it was some American church) was teaching in this respect, because from what I saw, America has invented its own (*convenient* and politically-correct) brand of Christianity, that wouldn't sit well with Russian Orthodoxy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2017, 06:54 PM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
That is a mighty paranoid, ignorant statement especially considering the fact that you (still?) reside in the belly of the American beast.
Apparently Russian government is ignorant of the Russian laws but even assuming an overwhelming compulsion to act upon paranoidal fears of the foreign advisors cheating Putin & Co of their loot, it makes no sense whatsoever to ban Jehowahs witnesses since it is decisively not a mainstream protestant Church preaching the gospel of prosperity and social advancement to the true believers. Jehowahs witnesses are predominantly lower class, lower education, lower income, 2/3 rds female Church of a sort with very peculiar but mostly harmless belief system and strong desire to escape the darwinian rigors of this world, a probability of them advising Russian cleptocrats and promoting "ties" with USA is somewhere in the vicinity of zero.
My statement is neither "paranoid" nor "ignorant," since I am familiar with J.W. church. What you need to understand, is that Orthodox Church works hand in hand with Russian government; they mutually approve of each other ( as it has been for centuries in Russia) and thus Russian government doesn't want any foreign church to be involved. Same goes to the overwhelming majority of Russians, that regard now any foreign institutions ( churches including) with suspicion, after their experience of the nineties, not to mention more recent experience that they observe in Ukraine.

Old 04-06-2017, 07:33 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,855,314 times
Too much democracy and freedom of religion is dangerous in places like Russia. It gives people too many ideas and leads to chaos.

Anyway, I'm curious what the Russian spin will be if we do a little bombing in Syria. Since it was not long ago that the Russian public was presented with the idea that we don't bomb Syria because of Russian SAM's protecting them... my guess is they will say they could have done something but decided not to escalate a war. Something along those lines. I think we will see soon.

*edit* I swear I wrote that before seeing that this happened. Supposedly Russian defenses can shoot down cruise missiles, according to Pervy Kanal. I guess Ivan left them off?

Old 04-06-2017, 08:29 PM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
Nope, can't stand it. But I think either all religions be able to do so, or none. Not just some.
I think countries have the right to protect their own religious traditions. Nepal, a mainly Hindu and Buddhist nation, keeps Christian proselytizers out. Or did--I don't know if that's up-to-date info. I think Russia and Nepal see it as protecting their national heritage. Some Native nations in the US prohibit church representatives from entering the rez and preaching or collecting followers. Others allow it.

Old 04-06-2017, 11:33 PM

5,786 posts, read 4,231,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
there was nothing sexual about it.
Can someone see a sexiness in this? Are you joking?

Old 04-06-2017, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Too much democracy and freedom of religion is dangerous in places like Russia. It gives people too many ideas and leads to chaos.

Anyway, I'm curious what the Russian spin will be if we do a little bombing in Syria. Since it was not long ago that the Russian public was presented with the idea that we don't bomb Syria because of Russian SAM's protecting them... my guess is they will say they could have done something but decided not to escalate a war. Something along those lines. I think we will see soon.

*edit* I swear I wrote that before seeing that this happened. Supposedly Russian defenses can shoot down cruise missiles, according to Pervy Kanal. I guess Ivan left them off?
Where have you heard this idea? Media and military experts suggested something like this?

Old 04-07-2017, 12:02 AM

US attack independent country and help ISIS, Erdogan promises to participate in ground operation in Syria, Russia is gathering an urgent meeting of the UN.

The world is flying into the abyss.

Old 04-07-2017, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sin123 View Post
Nice to meet you.
Hi. Are you from Russia?

Old 04-07-2017, 03:57 AM

Russia boils due to a missile strike on Syria. It was a stupid idea actually.

Old 04-07-2017, 04:13 AM

1,891 posts, read 1,684,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post

Shoot 2/3 missiles during an exercise is easy. Shoot 60 tomahawks coming by suprises and I guess with stealth technologies is too much for S300/S400...
I think if Russia could intercept few tomahawks to show the efficiency of the system they would, because it would mean it's combat proven = sales and money abroad $$$
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe