Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2017, 05:33 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,438,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
I came across some curious news here.

https://twitter.com/GicAriana/status...F28023694.html

Don't know how much weight they have though...

And of course you are right about the NATO threat - Americans are all over the place in Kiev, BUT...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKmxDMhHrQ0
Russias rail roads are strategically vital to its defense and industry. China too has great interest in the health of them considering the Panda Express. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans-Asian_Railway
Europe too has great interests in peace throughout Asia. This is one of the biggest endeavors in human history and can change the very structure of this world. I doubt Europe will allow the US to muck it up. Germany bristled at the latest set of sanctions last week.

The problem is the rabid lemmings in the US see it as a threat, which it certainly is. The US is no longer the top dog and is flailing around more and more. The belligerence is only going to get worse. As for Russia to go after Ukraine it would certainly be a last resort. Militarily it could be done. Russian forces destroyed the western trained Georgian army in just 18 hours, no one expected that. I have no doubt about Russias abilities when in comes to land warfare. Coming out ahead in an occupation is another story all together.

Anything the Russians are moving now or in the future is most likely to be for strategic defense. They are building guards armies in the west, 2 so far that I know of. The west intends to run the length and breadth of eastern Europe screaming at the top of their lungs about the Russian threat. Selling weapons the whole time.

I don't think anything big will happen. The "patriots" in Ukraine may even try provocations to up the rhetoric and fear factor for propaganda purposes if persuasion is needed for the Ukrainian populace. Cross border terrorism is possible. Raiding villages and murdering across the border but considering Russias response to several incidents of lost Ukrainians that's not going to go down well. We can't toss out the CIA and terrorism there. I suspect Russia is going to hammer hard if that happens in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2017, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Yes, this is important reason. But, perhaps, a creation of new nuclear missiles is a more profitable strategy. I do not know.
I think the better bet will be to keep the course you're on. Improve your military more than expand it, more bang for the ruble is the way to go. I believe that due to the astounding stupidity of American business and policy within my lifetime America will became a third rate power.

Old 07-05-2017, 06:18 PM

26,786 posts, read 22,545,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
Russias rail roads are strategically vital to its defense and industry. China too has great interest in the health of them considering the Panda Express. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans-Asian_Railway
Europe too has great interests in peace throughout Asia. This is one of the biggest endeavors in human history and can change the very structure of this world. I doubt Europe will allow the US to muck it up. Germany bristled at the latest set of sanctions last week.
Yes I can see why this would infuriate them. Trump's gloves are off - "You are going to buy OUR energy now ( instead of the Russian one) and won't have any more excuses to not to do what I'm telling you to do."

Quote:
The problem is the rabid lemmings in the US see it as a threat, which it certainly is. The US is no longer the top dog and is flailing around more and more. The belligerence is only going to get worse.
Yes I see this happening too.

Quote:
As for Russia to go after Ukraine it would certainly be a last resort. Militarily it could be done. Russian forces destroyed the western trained Georgian army in just 18 hours, no one expected that. I have no doubt about Russias abilities when in comes to land warfare. Coming out ahead in an occupation is another story all together.
I was listening to that guy on the video that Maxim posted ( in Russian.) He is a professor of philosophy, talking on a subject of a "Russian nation" and what exactly does it mean, going back to the first definition of the "nation" given by Nikolay Karamzin back in the day. What I find unrealistic about all these wet dreams of unification of "true Russian nation" - ( i.e. "Russia proper," Ukraine and Belarus ) is that such unification doesn't have any appealing power either for Ukraine or for Belorussia, as long as Russia is in the current state of corrupt entity, dependent on foreign capital. EVEN if Ukraine is in poor shape itself and Belorussia might be in dire straits too.

Quote:
Anything the Russians are moving now or in the future is most likely to be for strategic defense. They are building guards armies in the west, 2 so far that I know of. The west intends to run the length and breadth of eastern Europe screaming at the top of their lungs about the Russian threat. Selling weapons the whole time.
That Russia is going to remain a "thorn" in the west's backside ( a big thorn at that) - I have no doubt.

Quote:
I don't think anything big will happen. The "patriots" in Ukraine may even try provocations to up the rhetoric and fear factor for propaganda purposes if persuasion is needed for the Ukrainian populace. Cross border terrorism is possible. Raiding villages and murdering across the border but considering Russias response to several incidents of lost Ukrainians that's not going to go down well. We can't toss out the CIA and terrorism there. I suspect Russia is going to hammer hard if that happens in the future.
You know, I am not sure what will come out of this whole "Ukrainian situation," keeping Donbass in mind. It's becoming more and more de-facto Russian, using rubles as their currency already and re-orienting their economy.

Old 07-06-2017, 01:52 PM

5,786 posts, read 4,231,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
I was listening to that guy on the video that Maxim posted ( in Russian.) He is a professor of philosophy, talking on a subject of a "Russian nation" and what exactly does it mean, going back to the first definition of the "nation" given by Nikolay Karamzin back in the day. What I find unrealistic about all these wet dreams of unification of "true Russian nation" - ( i.e. "Russia proper," Ukraine and Belarus ) is that such unification doesn't have any appealing power either for Ukraine or for Belorussia, as long as Russia is in the current state of corrupt entity, dependent on foreign capital. EVEN if Ukraine is in poor shape itself and Belorussia might be in dire straits too.
This is a rare case when I do not agree with you.
Corruption of Ukraine or Belarus is not less. I think that the main problem is their self-identification. They do not perceive themselves as part of the Russian nation from birth. The train left. And Russia does not have any benefits (except military security) for joining these territories. Although my heart wants to return the Russian cities and Black See coast of Ukraine back to Russia.

btw, I fount second part video with Miller:
vk.com/video316622214_456239229
From 37:25 is very interesting about Stolypin and settlement of the Far East in Russian Empire and modern Russia.

Old 07-06-2017, 01:58 PM

Quote:
I remember something about Junker jeans and shirts, a rip off of Wrangle Jeans a long time ago as a kid. The early 70s.
Thanks! But, unfortunately, it looks like a modern button accidentally caught on the same site with Sovet coins. It seems that Junker is a modern brand of clothing:

http://mdrussia.ru/uploads/monthly_2017_07/IMG_20170706_102958.thumb.jpg.5912ff8a8696451c4e24 3d8b15e9c541.jpg

Old 07-06-2017, 03:55 PM

26,786 posts, read 22,545,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
This is a rare case when I do not agree with you.
Corruption of Ukraine or Belarus is not less.
I don't know much about Belarus in this respect, but that Ukraine is utterly corrupt - that's for sure, so no disagreement on this part.

Quote:
I think that the main problem is their self-identification. They do not perceive themselves as part of the Russian nation from birth. The train left.
Although part of it is true, there is more to the whole issue than meets the eye. They might not consider themselves as "part of Russian nation," but it's not only a question of what THEY consider themselves. It's a matter of what OTHERS consider them. And by "others" I mean first of all the rest of "European family." Because each and every member of "European family" is treated differently by those in charge of money - be that Bulgaria or Poland, Latvia or Czechia. So the question is, what do Germans and the French for example consider Belorussians ( or Ukrainians for this matter) to be - are they "related to Russians" or a totally different set of people? And if according to those beliefs they will be most likely taken advantage of, (like say it was a case with Bulgaria,) then it would be more beneficial for Belorussians and Ukrainians to remember their true roots and to go back to Russia. The problem with this scenario however is that corporate, corrupt Russia with its stupid ( I don't have other word to describe it) slogans like "we'll make Russia the banking capital of the world" ( or whatever this idiot Medvedev was blubbering about,) can't serve as idea of "national unification." Because the "banking capital of the world" - that's London, that's New-York. And if Ukraine and Belorussia would be interested in joining the "banking capital of the world" - they might as well look in that direction, rather than in Moscow's direction.

Quote:
And Russia does not have any benefits (except military security) for joining these territories.
Putin's Russia sees its benefits exclusively in terms of monetary gains for its corporate class, the "national interests" come secondary.

Quote:
Although my heart wants to return the Russian cities and Black See coast of Ukraine back to Russia.
Under the circumstances it's only logical to try to retain what's left of the old legacy of Russia.

Quote:
btw, I fount second part video with Miller:
vk.com/video316622214_456239229
From 37:25 is very interesting about Stolypin and settlement of the Far East in Russian Empire and modern Russia.
I'll watch it when I have a chance, thanks.

Old 07-06-2017, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Although part of it is true, there is more to the whole issue than meets the eye. They might not consider themselves as "part of Russian nation," but it's not only a question of what THEY consider themselves. It's a matter of what OTHERS consider them. And by "others" I mean first of all the rest of "European family." Because each and every member of "European family" is treated differently by those in charge of money - be that Bulgaria or Poland, Latvia or Czechia. So the question is, what do Germans and the French for example consider Belorussians ( or Ukrainians for this matter) to be - are they "related to Russians" or a totally different set of people? And if according to those beliefs they will be most likely taken advantage of, (like say it was a case with Bulgaria,) then it would be more beneficial for Belorussians and Ukrainians to remember their true roots and to go back to Russia. The problem with this scenario however is that corporate, corrupt Russia with its stupid ( I don't have other word to describe it) slogans like "we'll make Russia the banking capital of the world" ( or whatever this idiot Medvedev was blubbering about,) can't serve as idea of "national unification." Because the "banking capital of the world" - that's London, that's New-York. And if Ukraine and Belorussia would be interested in joining the "banking capital of the world" - they might as well look in that direction, rather than in Moscow's direction.
I really get the feeling western Europe takes a nice long look down their noses at Belorussians and Ukrainians. If they don't do it right they'll be little more than colonies.

Old 07-06-2017, 05:18 PM

Valaam Island. Lake Ladoga Karelia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLodj_TgyaE

Old 07-06-2017, 05:45 PM

Violation of sanctions imposed by the west in Sevastopol harbor.

Siemens Gas Turbines. They sure are hurting Russia.............................

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJZta1wohtQ

Old 07-07-2017, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Violation of sanctions imposed by the west in Sevastopol harbor.

Siemens Gas Turbines. They sure are hurting Russia.............................
It seems, that the contract was clean! Siemens participated in a production of turbines in a joint Russian-German enterprise (LLC "Siemens Technologies of Gas Turbines" (STGT)). The turbines were destined for the station in the Krasnodar Territory and it was sold to a local company. But the station was not built, local company went bankrupt and Technopromexport bought turbines to the Crimea. Siemens is not to blame!

The most piquant moment -it seems, that the power station in Krasnodar Territories was not planned to be built from the very beginning.

Last edited by Maksim_Frolov; 07-07-2017 at 12:10 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe