Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2018, 11:56 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,568,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
This week Rep. Kaptur (and 22 Democrat colleagues) sent a letter to President Trump's Assistant Secretary of State for Europe, Wess Mitchell, demanding the reinstatement of a cancelled State Department program to send $700,000 to finance anti-government stories in Hungary's media in advance of the upcoming 2019 local elections in that country.

"Supporting an independent media in Hungary should be a priority" for the United States, the Congressional letter says.

Do Kaptur and her Capitol Hill colleagues not understand the basic fact that when a foreign government funds a sector of another country's media, that media can no longer be considered "independent"?

How is it not meddling in Hungary's democracy for the United States government to finance stories attacking the democratically-elected Hungarian government?
The Ron Paul Institute for Peace and Prosperity : Congress Members Urge Trump to Meddle in Hungary's Elections
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2018, 03:50 PM

British Museum to give talks giving alternate explanations on how artifacts and treasures weren't looted from colonial adventures (wars)

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/...P=share_btn_tw

I remember that ISIS claimed they had destroyed museum pieces in Iraq but later found that the originals had been taken off to London.

Old 10-15-2018, 02:52 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,704,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
British Museum to give talks giving alternate explanations on how artifacts and treasures weren't looted from colonial adventures (wars)

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/...P=share_btn_tw

I remember that ISIS claimed they had destroyed museum pieces in Iraq but later found that the originals had been taken off to London.
Then the British have actually saved those artefacts from destruction, isn't that a good thing?

Old 10-15-2018, 05:52 AM

9,511 posts, read 5,438,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
Then the British have actually saved those artefacts from destruction, isn't that a good thing?
In some cases that's a sure thing.

Old 10-15-2018, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
Perhaps the destruction would've been done by locals who didn't want the British enriching themselves on the antiquities at their expense. It's a reminder of other natural riches that were looted by colonial empires.

Old 10-15-2018, 02:11 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,855,314 times
Today the Russian church decided to split off from the global orthodox church. An interesting thing will be to see what the Russian church in America will do. I'm guessing they will follow the will of Putin. Not that it matters..

Old 10-15-2018, 04:44 PM

4,692 posts, read 1,164,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Today the Russian church decided to split off from the global orthodox church. An interesting thing will be to see what the Russian church in America will do. I'm guessing they will follow the will of Putin. Not that it matters..
Since 1945 year at least it is not Church but Stalin's NKVD/KGB/FSB department named as Moscow Orthodox Synod.

Old 10-15-2018, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
I don't know much about the religion but I fail to see why Constantinopol or Moscow should be able to dictate to Kiev.

On the other side I know why this is being done. To drive a wedge, to sow malice between peoples. The radicals on both sides are going to very hot headed about this and it could escalate.

Religion is a third rail.

Old 10-15-2018, 08:45 PM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
I don't know much about the religion but I fail to see why Constantinopol or Moscow should be able to dictate to Kiev.
Well, because religion is a somewhat different thing than politics ( although at the end they are closely interrelated.)
So for a church to be split from its head ( i.e. patriarch in this case, and his "home base,) it needs the approval of the said above patriarch.
The early "Russians" - i.e. Kievan princes, fought long and hard with Byzantium, to make their church acephalous ( i.e. a separate entity from Constantinople,) once they accepted Orthodoxy. Constantinople resisted for long time, until it finally sent metropolitan bishop to Kiev, thus acknowledging the independence of Russian church.
Once the state power moved from Kiev to Vladimir-Suzdal and then to Moscow, so did the Metropolitan and religious center of Russia.
The western part of the former Kievan Rus territories were left up for grabs to Poland/Lithuania, however the ORIGINAL Orthodox faith of the local population remained source of a conflict between them and Catholic Poles.
Orthodox Ukrainians were regarded as second sort people and were oppressed. The conflict kept on boiling, until Ukrainian Hetman Bogdan Khemlnitsky took the oath of allegiance to Russia in 1654, asking for protection, Ukraine united with Russia, and the head of Russian ( and now Ukrainian) Orthodoxy set in Moscow.
So... in order to make Kiev's church acephalous, the permission of the Patriarch is needed. Now WHICH patriarch is a question of course, since Ukrainian church is a part of Russian church on one hand, yet the ultimate patriarch of the Orthodox church still sits in Constantinople.
So the schism ( separation of Russian Church from Constantinople) as the result of American meddling into religious affairs was quite predictable.

Moscow rejects the independence of the Ukrainian Church and a leading bishop - Metropolitan Hilarion - said the decision to recognise it went "against historical truth".

Unfortunately, as much as I dislike the head of the Russian church ( Gundyaev aka "Kirill,") Moscow is correct in this case.

Quote:
On the other side I know why this is being done. To drive a wedge, to sow malice between peoples. The radicals on both sides are going to very hot headed about this and it could escalate.
This is again correct - America follows Brzezinski's doctrine aimed of separation of Ukraine and Russia ( among other things.) Separation of Ukrainian church is only part of this plan ( we need to remember that American politicians were behind the push for this separation.

So as I've said - religion from the first glance has little to do with politics, but at the end that's what it is. So the roosters start coming home to roost.

Last edited by erasure; 10-15-2018 at 09:07 PM..

Old 10-16-2018, 04:09 PM

Thankyou for the information Erasure.

What really concerns me is the potential for conflict. Possibly wide spread conflict and even out right civil war in Ukraine. This decision was passed down and allowed for a reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe