Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 07:54 AM

43,862 posts, read 44,629,425 times

Advertisements

I went by overnight train from Paris to Italy when I was a child with my father. Since we changed our reservation to an earlier date, we were lucky that we found seats on the train. But I do remember that there was no issue of feeling unsafe then and I doubt it is much different now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 10:14 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,516,790 times
I took the overnight train from Amsterdam to Basel.. didn't get much sleep on the seats. Unlike sleeping in an airplane, it can be rough with the stopping and going at stations every once in a while.

Sure, it can be risky, just like staying in a hostel, but I bet they probably have surveillance cameras which will deter thieves. I usually sleep with my passport, cash, and credit cards in my pockets in public places like overnight trains or hostels. If you're traveling on a backpacker's budget and don't have too many valuables (like the latest smartphone), I wouldn't worry too much.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:37 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,288,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
We are thinking of taking an overnight train from Vienna to Rome to save money on our next European Adventure.

It is 13 hours long and to save money we could not get a bed but just attempt to sleep upright in a regular chair. It will save us a night in the hotel and be about half the airfare.

I wonder if I fall asleep will someone take my bag? Or will they pick my pocket or threaten me in any way.

Will it be terribly uncomfortable?

Please don't move this to the travel board, this instead is a question about Europe and I want the perspective of Europeans.
Not a problem at all. There is a GUARD on duty in every train (at least in my experiences). They kind of monitor who should be there. Plus, your doors do lock. Most likely the others in your compartment will also want to sleep as well. It's not any different than staying in a hostel, but way more guarded.

Old 07-23-2014, 12:44 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,876,856 times
Quote:
In a compartment does anyone really sleep with people coming in and out of the room all night?
Nobody comes in and out all night. Except possibly customs agents at border crossings. Compartments are the best bet, imo.

Old 07-23-2014, 12:47 PM

8,877 posts, read 8,487,842 times
I'm gonna take an overnight train from Paris to Munich on Friday and honestly safety issues have never come across my mind until I read this post lmfao.
Btw I'm taking my sleeping pill with me

Old 07-23-2014, 06:24 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,645,684 times
I've taken two overnight trains and had bad experiences on both. I for the first, I was travelling alone into Bucharest (took the overnight train to avoid arriving in the city at night). Woke up to some Romanian man (travelling with his daughter) trying to kiss me. For the second I wasn't travelling alone but had a similar problem anyway. For a woman, overnight trains may not be as safe I think, although I'm sure it also depends on where you're travelling.

Old 07-23-2014, 06:45 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,306,810 times
Default Safe...

I've taken many night trains in the past, most recently just a couple of weeks ago from Paris to Berlin. We are a family of six, so we got the whole compartment to ourselves. The kids loved it, and we all slept very good. I must say though, the Germans have very nice security built in to the door, so no worries about anyone getting in. Nice bathrooms, even a bathroom with a shower.

Old 07-23-2014, 09:57 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,632,110 times
I tried to only take night trains..Save the cost of a hotel, wake up in a new country/city.

Old 07-23-2014, 09:58 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,750,442 times
Quote:
We are thinking of taking an overnight train from Vienna to Rome to save money on our next European Adventure.

It is 13 hours long and to save money we could not get a bed but just attempt to sleep upright in a regular chair. It will save us a night in the hotel and be about half the airfare.

I wonder if I fall asleep will someone take my bag? Or will they pick my pocket or threaten me in any way.

Will it be terribly uncomfortable?

Please don't move this to the travel board, this instead is a question about Europe and I want the perspective of Europeans.
Years ago I took a night train from Madrid to Murcia, a sleeping car that slept 6. It was fine and kinda fun.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:24 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,052,478 times
I used to take overnight trains to save money by not having to rent a hotel, but now I'd rather just fly and get a hotel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe