Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 04:50 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,136,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
I watched RT when I was in Mexico recently. As far as bias goes, RT made Fox News seem fair & balanced. It's just the propaganda mouthpiece for little Vladimir's government.
Exacty right.

Old 05-12-2014, 10:09 PM

5,786 posts, read 4,228,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Serbia was conducting an ethnic cleansing, the people of Kosovo were in great distress and the US along with European allies acted to protect them. It may not have been our business but we protected a weak people from stronger aggressive ones. I am not ashamed of what we did there. Bagdad???? yea Saddam Hussein threatened us often, violated the terms ending the Gulf War and yes he had WMDs. Did we find large stockpiles?? No, but it is reasonable to believe they moved the to their bathist allies in Syria during the months of talk of war over the issue. Also terrorists had been training in Iraq, and there were links to Alqueida. I am not ashamed of what my nation did there either. We have our wars and our sins, but to be called warmongers by the likes of the Russians is just insulting. They have plenty of blood on their hands, and Putin wants more.
Ok. I understand your position. When the U.S. protects own interests and citizens of other countries, it's good. When Russia does - it's bad. And Putin is always to blame. Ok.

Old 05-12-2014, 10:22 PM

102,192 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbye_hello View Post
Compared to the rest of the globe, USA is hardcore Liberal.

But do you realize how horrid the winter weather is in Russia? Very few Americans can handle such conditions.
The US hasn't been hardcore liberal since Reagan took office.

I've been in Yakutsk and points north in winter. It was a piece of cake. The key is warm clothing. What people don't realize is that for a good part of those "horrid" winters, it's bright sunshine outside. (Depending on the region, of course.) It can be really quite beautiful.

Old 05-12-2014, 10:34 PM

26,777 posts, read 22,526,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
The Russian people sat on their proverbial backsides while Stalin murdered 20,000.000 of their own people.
Check your sources and ask yourself "where did people get these figures? How did they get them, who provided them with these figures?"
The fact is - these figures always have been nothing more than pure speculations; if it were the true numbers, then after losing more than twenty million on top of that during the WWII, Russia would have simply collapsed because of depopulation.

Old 05-12-2014, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
So what? Russia could've managed with a lot less, but Stalin decided just to sacrifice his people.
No, Russia couldn't have "managed," because this war was about annihilation of Russians all together. It was the main idea behind that war.

Last edited by erasure; 05-12-2014 at 11:01 PM..

Old 05-12-2014, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
I have no fears anymore, I'm a grown man.

Why don't you demand a "rjeferjendum" in Estonia and Latvia, and do some Mainila shelling again? You're so peace-loving.

Europe didn't attack Russia - nazi Germany did. For example Viribusunits can't for international humilition argue against that, but I can. The Holodomor killed around 7.5 million people in Ukraine. And it was you Russians who did it. Stalin was ready to kill half of Russia if only he wins.
OK, let's go over it one more time, slowly. Russia ( Imperial Russia that is) was falling behind the West in terms of economic development, being predominantly agrarian country. Stalin ( who was Georgian as you know) hated peasantry as a class, because it was standing on his way of rapid industrialization, that he felt was necessary in order to save the country from the hostile takeover by the West. Ukraine happened to be predominantly peasant part of the country ( being a "bread-basket" of Tzarist Russia,) and that's why it suffered more so in this respect than "Russia proper." Yet that doesn't mean that Russian peasants didn't suffer during collectivization process - they did, just not to the same degree as Ukrainian peasants, because the latter ones put up more resistance. At the same time the Eastern regions that comprise now "Ukraine" have always been industrial and they benefited from Stalin's industrialization as well.

Quote:
F*ck this sh*t. I'm not gonna deny it anymore. I'm 100% anti-Kremlin, anti-Soviet, anti-slavophile, anti-whatever. F*ck Russia, f*ck that barbaric sh*tf*ck people who should've been threwn behind the Urals 500 years ago. We have a saying here: "Ryssä on ryssä vaikka voissa paistaisi", which means "a Russki is a Russki even if he's fried in butter". I've gonna live by that rule from now on.
As I've said many times before - Russia is doing its historic job of controlling and counter-balancing the West, no matter in what guise - as Russian Empire, as the Soviet Union or when it's "fried in batter."
And it was not Russia that prepared the soil for today's yet another developing conflict - it was the West, back in the nineties.

Old 05-12-2014, 11:06 PM

909 posts, read 1,152,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Serbia was conducting an ethnic cleansing, the people of Kosovo were in great distress and the US along with European allies acted to protect them. It may not have been our business but we protected a weak people from stronger aggressive ones. I am not ashamed of what we did there. Bagdad???? yea Saddam Hussein threatened us often, violated the terms ending the Gulf War and yes he had WMDs. Did we find large stockpiles?? No, but it is reasonable to believe they moved the to their bathist allies in Syria during the months of talk of war over the issue. Also terrorists had been training in Iraq, and there were links to Alqueida. I am not ashamed of what my nation did there either. We have our wars and our sins, but to be called warmongers by the likes of the Russians is just insulting. They have plenty of blood on their hands, and Putin wants more.
The U.S. started the entire war which lead to the ethnic cleansing in the balkans. They didn't want Yugoslavia to be a powerful country so they tried to split them up and they were succesful. The cost of that were thousands of lives of the civilians and a major genocide. The media tries to put the blame on Serbia and make it look like America were the good guys protecting the people when they initiated the entire thing. Along with major nationalists and crazy politicians in the area of course.

Old 05-12-2014, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbye_hello View Post
Compared to the rest of the globe, USA is hardcore Liberal.
No it's not.
It's a very "split" and controversial country in this respect.

Old 05-13-2014, 12:14 AM

207 posts, read 496,947 times
Dear Lord!! I just logged back in to check out how my thread was doing and it appears that a full blown argument has blown out of proportion! Can't we all just get along?

Anyway, aside from the debates that have been taking place on this thread, we can all agree that Russian citizens and Americans citizens don't hate each other as a result of the crises in the Ukraine right now? Am I wrong?

Also, to Ruth4Truth, thank you once again for clearing things up! I'll be sure to check out that Institute of Ethnography in St. Petersburg when I get there!

Old 05-13-2014, 12:18 AM

207 posts, read 496,947 times
I forgot to add. I will be creating a follow 3 follow up threads to this one. Two of which will be in different categories of course with one of them being in this category. Reason for this is because I believe that this thread has officially gone overboard with the arguments. See you all around!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe