Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 01:06 AM

5,786 posts, read 4,237,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aethalstad View Post
Anyway, aside from the debates that have been taking place on this thread, we can all agree that Russian citizens and Americans citizens don't hate each other as a result of the crises in the Ukraine right now? Am I wrong?
I think there is some differences of opinion on some issues. But I do not think the word "hate" is appropriate here.

Old 05-13-2014, 01:10 AM

207 posts, read 498,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
I think there is some differences of opinion on some issues. But I do not think the word "hate" is appropriate here.
You are right and I am terribly sorry about that. Hate is a very strong word when it comes to this topic. I am glad that most Russian citizens currently don't hate American citizens and vice versa. I am looking forward to visiting St. Petersburg and the Winter Palace!

Old 05-13-2014, 01:25 AM

5,786 posts, read 4,237,714 times
Quote:
You are right and I am terribly sorry about that. Hate is a very strong word when it comes to this topic. I am glad that most Russian citizens currently don't hate American citizens and vice versa. I am looking forward to visiting St. Petersburg and the Winter Palace!
If you decide to drop in to Moscow, then write. I live in Pushkino (15 km from Moscow), may be able to help in something in terms of organization.

Old 05-13-2014, 02:21 AM

207 posts, read 498,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
If you decide to drop in to Moscow, then write. I live in Pushkino (15 km from Moscow), may be able to help in something in terms of organization.
Awesome! I haven't ruled out going to Moscow for my winter vacation, so I'll just wait and see!

Old 09-02-2014, 08:32 PM

3 posts, read 5,228 times
Hate is a feeling. Considering how Americans view Russians, Russians shouldn't have any feelings.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:12 PM

3 posts, read 5,228 times
Americans wish that Russians hated them, or in other words, had strong feelings for them. Russians don't even waste their time to think about the US, not to mention, form an opinion about it and then generate strong feelings for it. Russians are too busy worrying about their own lives. Only Americans try to feel for everything and everyone. Plus, Americans have a tendency to project their own mentality and views on other people, while failing to see those people for who they are. Nobody really hates Americans all over the world. Americans are just too paranoid or think too much of themselves. Nobody gives a damn about Americans, and this is the truth they can't accept because they need constant attention to themselves, and always do something to incite any kind of feeling for them in you in order to feel validated for their desperate efforts to impress.

Old 09-03-2014, 01:32 AM

847 posts, read 1,180,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbye_hello View Post
But do you realize how horrid the winter weather is in Russia? Very few Americans can handle such conditions.
Actually, it's not so cold in winter. Do you consider 21 F to be extra cold? It's minus 6 C. A common weather in winter. Sometimes it's 14 F (-10 C). Yes, it might be -20 C. But not so often.

I guess, in Minnesota such a weather is quite typical. Probably not in California.

Besides, do you consider anyone to stay 24 hours a day in a forest?

Last edited by Muscovite; 09-03-2014 at 03:00 AM..

Old 09-03-2014, 04:08 AM

2 posts, read 5,228 times
Quote:
Dear Lord!! I just logged back in to check out how my thread was doing and it appears that a full blown argument has blown out of proportion! Can't we all just get along?

Anyway, aside from the debates that have been taking place on this thread, we can all agree that Russian citizens and Americans citizens don't hate each other as a result of the crises in the Ukraine right now? Am I wrong?

Also, to Ruth4Truth, thank you once again for clearing things up! I'll be sure to check out that Institute of Ethnography in St. Petersburg when I get there!
The question is rather vogue, though. I don't think it's possible to say, like, "64.845% (or 25.002% if you like) of the Russians hate the Americans, and 63.247% (or 15.574%) of the Americans hate the Russians". Even statistic polls are neither perfect nor exact. Anyway, still there're some who love, some who hate, and a lot of who just don't care much about that. It's always been like this, it is like this now, and it will be like this, with or without Ukraine or anything. And every such opinion has its reasons (though sometimes quite ***** ones), and there're reasons for these reasons too. It's a long story.

If the question is more specific, like, say, "Is it safe for an American to visit St.Petersburg, Russia now?" -- I would confidentely answer "Yes, it's quite safe, regardless of citizenship. At least, as safe as visiting Paris, or London, or other big city in Europe. Note your hotel's phone and address, don't carry all your money in your pocket, have a copy of your passport with you, watch your photocamera, don't drink much with strangers, and in the middle of the night don't explore remote places you don't know anything about". Besides, in winter it can be very cold in St.Petersburg, as low as below -30C (-20F), and windy, and it's nearly always dark, sunrise is about 10AM, sunset's maybe 4-5PM.

Old 09-03-2014, 05:12 AM

847 posts, read 1,180,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mungojerrie View Post
Besides, in winter it can be very cold in St.Petersburg, as low as below -30C .
-6, -8, -10 C, are much more often. The winter 2012 was colder, but it wasn't below -18 or -20 C. And only for several days.

Sometimes it can be +2 C in January. Sometimes -20 C. But -30 C is quite rare. -6,-8 C is often.

Last edited by Muscovite; 09-03-2014 at 05:31 AM..

Old 09-03-2014, 06:30 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,620,060 times
Quote:
I think there is some differences of opinion on some issues. But I do not
think the word "hate" is appropriate here.
Hope not. Russia is a great country with great people and history. I admire them very much. One day I will pay my respects to them by visiting the towns and cities. But at the same time I do have my opinions on certain matters (some of you know that from another thread) as they have theirs. Whcih brings me to the fact that discourse should always be open for 'understanding'. And I am always trying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe