Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2014, 07:31 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
But you do get my point, though?
Not really. The part about race isn't really true, sure minorities are worse off than whites in the US. But plenty are doing well and not living in ghettos. The US is more socially conservative, but there have been gay politicians at lower level. Houston, Texas (yes, Texas) had a lesbian mayor.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:32 PM

1,706 posts, read 2,436,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
And if southern Europe is far higher than the Euro average, other parts of Europe must be much lower than average. Those parts may be relatively close to US levels.
lol ... and youth unemployment in WA and CA is lower than Michigan.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:36 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,731,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
There's also nothing to envy about the low salaries in Europe (often accompanied by a high COL).
Low salaries in Europe??? I returned to The States for reasons of family ill health, and found that the same career here paid crap. Not only did I suddenly have countless added costs added with the sprawl here, but I made less money than I'd been making abroad.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Low salaries in Europe??? I returned to The States for reasons of family ill health, and found that the same career here paid crap. Not only did I suddenly have countless added costs added with the sprawl here, but I made less money than I'd been making abroad.
Find that hard to believe. What job/position? And what country vs American city?

Old 06-18-2014, 07:38 PM

70 posts, read 96,225 times
Of course not. They Europeans have real money and generations of wealth and culture. Americans are simply trying to keep up.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:39 PM

Another Horatio Alger carrot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Years ago I met a student from the Philippines who was living in Chicago. He was going to college to earn a masters degree in Engineering. He worked part time, rode a bicycle and saved his money. He fretted every day, fearful he would not get a job. He was hired by Motorola before he graduated. He received a signing bonus, 5 weeks vacation, and an entry level salary of $80000. He graduated with honors that year. He bought a used car and flew his parents to Chicago for the winter holidays. This was the one of happiest, nicest persons I ever met. He was first child of six who earned two college degrees. He fully intended to work toward a doctorate. I expect he did.

Education is the doorway out of poverty. Not everyone is destined to be president. But everyone who has the mental ability can receive a good education if they are willing to work for it.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:44 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,043,610 times
A lot of work pays much worse in Europe. Software Engineers make 2-3x more money in the USA.
Plus, "Europe" is not homogeneous for wages. Salaries in Amsterdam are better than Lisbon, etc.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:49 PM

Grade school teacher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
Find that hard to believe. What job/position? And what country vs American city?

Old 06-18-2014, 07:53 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,927,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
No, it does not. I could be wrong, though I don't feel like double-checking at the moment
  • U-1, persons unemployed 15 weeks or longer, as a percent of the civilian labor force;
  • U-2, job losers and persons who completed temporary jobs, as a percent of the civilian labor force;
  • U-3, total unemployed, as a percent of the civilian labor force (this is the definition used for the official unemployment rate);
  • U-4, total unemployed plus discouraged workers, as a percent of the civilian labor force plus discouraged workers;
  • U-5, total unemployed, plus discouraged workers, plus all other marginally attached workers, as a percent of the civilian labor force plus all marginally attached workers; and
  • U-6, total unemployed, plus all marginally attached workers, plus total employed part time for economic reasons, as a percent of the civilian labor force plus all marginally attached workers.

That's from the BLS's site. So the U6 seems to count people that are long-term unemployed but not on SSI or in retirement

Old 06-18-2014, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Grade school teacher.
Well ... that's a public job. What country in Europe are we talking about? There are (public) bus drivers in parts of Europe who make over $100K.

The mean wage in Rhode Island, the Highest Paying State for elementary school teachers:$66,790

Cops, teachers, etc salaries tend to be lower in US vs most of Europe. Many would say ... that's a good thing. It is all tax payer's money ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe