Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 04:25 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,893,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Germans have less preservatives and less sugar in their products as the US.

If you eat a pie, it is fresh. No pink or bright green stuff on it.

The baked goods are good for 2-3 days, not weeks.

Can't beat the taste of fresh prepared food.

Also, when you go in a restaurant in Germany and order food, it is not uncommon that you wait 30-50 minutes until you get served with your dish. I am not sure, but I don't think the cook is slow - it might mean the food is prepared freshly and not precooked.
What do you mean?

I ate a few American things and it was so obvious that the food was fill of preservatives it was awful. But like here I think we have more preservatives than Europe but not as much as America.

Restaurants where I live take FOREVER to cook the food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2014, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
I think you're right, bread tastes better over there, as do a lot of things.

But think of it as quality over quantity.

Here when Kraft makes cheese they're making it for 300 million people. When a small local farmer makes cheese it's going to be an artisan product.

You can get the same quality of food in the USA as in Europe, it's just more expensive and made in smaller batches.
There is 700 million people in Europe.

Old 06-12-2014, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
It's difficult to find really good bread here in the U.S., even at the supermarket bakery. In Spain, everywhere you went had delicious bread.
The Spanish bread is DISGUSTING!! Its awful!

Old 06-12-2014, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passion Fruit View Post
I also prefer the food in many areas of Europe.

Event the fast food was better... the McDonald's in the area have to use local farmers' meats and their pastries are locally baked.

SO GOOD!
Thats not true the pastry and the meat is imported. When I was in McDonalds a year ago I seen a big massive lorry of red meat being delivered and it said 'Brazil'.
Maybe i'm being silly answering these questions because people are talking about mainland Europe and the food is very unique,local there.

Old 06-12-2014, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Germany seems to take bread and cheese very seriously. I think basic ingredients tend to be more or less the real deal and there are fewer options for super processed, crappy ingredients like Ja!. I also love how herbs come in little pots with soil and you have to pull them off the stems yourself.

I noticed that here I can buy a huge variety of weird tropical fruits and vegetables that are imported year round, but Germany seems to use more localized produce. I noticed the same in Spain.
WHAT!

Online Food Shopping - ASDA Groceries

Old 06-12-2014, 08:48 AM

3,379 posts, read 5,539,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
No. I don't mean herbs that are dried and flaked on to food. If you buy fresh basil for example, in Germany you may see it in grocery stores (Kaiser for sure) live in little pots that you buy individually. If you buy fresh basil here, at best it is just tied together and kept in a plastic container.

Old 06-12-2014, 09:01 AM

1,600 posts, read 1,890,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuncheKim View Post
Actually I found quite the opposite; many ethnic foods taste way better in America than what they do in Europe. Spanish, Italian, French, Greek and other nationalities food taste better in many American restaurants than what they do in Europe. Obviously this may vary by country and restaurant.

My professor from France said that you can get better French food in NYC than you can find in France.

Food in Sweden is amazing, but in other countries not a fan.
I seriously doubt that anywhere in the US you can eat better than in Italy itself, let alone find better quality products.
PS. Concerning Italian food.

Old 06-12-2014, 09:03 AM

545 posts, read 867,116 times
Quote:
Thats not true the pastry and the meat is imported. When I was in McDonalds a year ago I seen a big massive lorry of red meat being delivered and it said 'Brazil'.
Maybe i'm being silly answering these questions because people are talking about mainland Europe and the food is very unique,local there.
70% to 80% of McDo's meat is national here from what they say. Most of the rest come from Ireland
But it's not because French meat is better, they are certainly buying the cheapest anyway. It's more for marketing, McDo expanded a lot in France by playing the national preference card.

And meat quality vary a lot between European countries. For example Spanish meat is like the one from the US, they add water and salt to fix the water in their meat. Every country does that, but while in France and Germany it's around 15% of the meat's weight, it's more 30-40% in Spain and the US. A professional once told me Australia was the worst, but I never checked.

Old 06-12-2014, 09:32 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,376,919 times
Good food is good. Bad food is bad. This is true wherever. You can get a can of sh ite in Spain, and organic arugula salad with hand harvested walnuts and artisinal goat cheese in America.

As far as beer, beer purity laws do not ensure quality beer, it just ensures a very limited stylistic variety.

Old 06-12-2014, 09:44 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,707,046 times
Quote:
The Spanish bread is DISGUSTING!! Its awful!
Really? It may not be the best bread, but is better than most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe