Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 05:08 AM

30 posts, read 44,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostinPhilly View Post
Czech Republic and Italy are a no go for multiple reasons. They're not very safe which is mainly the reason why I'd never move there.
Not "very safe"???

The Czech Republic ranks as the eleventh-most peaceful country according to the Global Peace Index.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2014, 07:42 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,056,968 times
if i am relocating to a foreign country i'd consider those to be the leading factors:

1. job/business opportunities
2. climate
3. language they speak (can i speak said language + do i like the accent)
4. how do people view my group of people (aka is there xenophobia targeted at my "type").

Of course things like earthquakes and mafia will play a role too but these above are the top leading factors.

To summarize i'd rule out moving to anything north of Munich, Germany as the climate norther from that location is too cold for my taste. I'd also avoid north-western europe due to increasing xenophobia in those places + bad climate and languages that i either can't speak or don't like. Their only advantage seems to be the $ opportunities but that's debatable too.

I think Croatia (for ex. Dubrovnik) isn't a bad choice but it's mandatory to speak croatian there. However their salaries usually compete with the salaries of low-income US state (say like idaho...) which makes them comparable to america, though bear in mind that low salaries come with very low prices, so this makes croatia looking richer than low-income us states. As to business - it's fresh capitalism there...get loan/put money and start small business etc.

Being an american in eastern europe will usually result in huge respect, provided you're the stereotypical white american and not mexican/black/asian-american. Here's a pic of dubrovnik:

http://pickyview.com/wp-content/uplo...ik-croatia.jpg

I've never been there frankly - out of eastern europe i'v been to bulgaria, hungary and russia but as an American i don't think you'd be 'ready' to move right away to any of these countries. Hence place like croatia seems perfect.

Last edited by Rozenn; 12-28-2014 at 07:22 AM.. Reason: Copyright issues

Old 12-27-2014, 08:16 AM

319 posts, read 397,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylarr View Post
Not "very safe"???

The Czech Republic ranks as the eleventh-most peaceful country according to the Global Peace Index.
A lot of people confuse the Czech Republic with Chechnya, so I'm guessing anyone who is assuming the Czech Rep. is very dangerous is thinking of Chechnya.

Old 12-27-2014, 01:24 PM

321 posts, read 402,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostinPhilly View Post
France is a very expensive country so are Switzerland and Germany. I \
Czech Republic and Italy are a no go for multiple reasons. They're not very safe which is mainly the reason why I'd never move there.
LOL one weekend in the USA can out-turn more killings than a full year in all of Italy

Old 12-27-2014, 02:40 PM

102,362 posts, read 108,635,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
if i am relocating to a foreign country i'd consider those to be the leading factors:

2. climate
4. how do people view my group of people (aka is there xenophobia targeted at my "type").

Of course things like earthquakes and mafia will play a role too but these above are the top leading factors.

To summarize i'd rule out moving to anything north of Munich, Germany as the climate norther from that location is too cold for my taste. I'd also avoid north-western europe due to increasing xenophobia in those places + bad climate and languages that i either can't speak or don't like. Their only advantage seems to be the $ opportunities but that's debatable too.

I think Croatia (for ex. Dubrovnik) isn't a bad choice but it's mandatory to speak croatian there. However their salaries usually compete with the salaries of low-income US state (say like idaho...) which makes them comparable to america, though bear in mind that low salaries come with very low prices, so this makes croatia looking richer than low-income us states. As to business - it's fresh capitalism there...get loan/put money and start small business etc.

Being an american in eastern europe will usually result in huge respect, provided you're the stereotypical white american and not mexican/black/asian-american. Here's a pic of dubrovnik:

I've never been there frankly - out of eastern europe i'v been to bulgaria, hungary and russia but as an American i don't think you'd be 'ready' to move right away to any of these countries. Hence place like croatia seems perfect.
Hey, you sold me on Croatia! And the language isn't that difficult. The pronunciation is much easier than Russian. Don't worry, just go for it.

Old 12-27-2014, 02:41 PM

102,362 posts, read 108,635,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalya_ View Post
A lot of people confuse the Czech Republic with Chechnya, so I'm guessing anyone who is assuming the Czech Rep. is very dangerous is thinking of Chechnya.
Pathetic. But it definitely would explain that odd comment about Cz. Republic.

Old 12-27-2014, 04:18 PM

2,173 posts, read 2,593,760 times
Amsterdam!!!!!!!

Old 12-28-2014, 07:21 AM

202 posts, read 225,665 times
Czech republic is pretty safe country, you can expect some troubles if you are Russian because we despise Russians especially how they behave but if you are non-Russian you can expect no troubles.

Old 12-28-2014, 07:29 AM

2,427 posts, read 3,582,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post

2. climate

http://pickyview.com/wp-content/uplo...ik-croatia.jpg

I have been to Croatia and it was fantastic. I wish I was there right now.

Old 12-28-2014, 07:35 AM

2,427 posts, read 3,582,693 times
Movintime, Can you just up and move to another country without citizenship? Also, jobs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe