Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 06:53 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,601,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdean73 View Post

Yes, we need to include countries such as Australia, Canada (at least the english speaking part), NZ, UK and Ireland in the same league of the US, because the social dynamics in those place are much more close to America than anywhere else.

As a result we have a bunch of insecure men who are in their 40's but with mentality of 12 wearing baseball caps.. piercings.. tattoo's , taking stereoids.. embracing any particular culture to dont feel insecure... and of course homosexuality will never be admitted under any of those circumstances..
The anglosphere countries are only high income nations..but they lack the social maturity of Europe.
Uh.. what? It's an established fact that the UK is one of the best places in the world to be homosexual. The ILGA even named it as the best place in Europe to be gay, while the Spartacus Gay Travel Index ranked it 5th in the world. I have no idea where you're getting your ideas from but as an openly gay man living in the UK, I don't recoginise your description whatsoever, and we're certainly leaps and bounds ahead of the US when it comes to acceptance of homosexuals and LGBT people in general. There are few places in the world I'd feel safer being openly gay than here.

Last edited by dunno what to put here; 01-09-2015 at 07:03 AM..

Old 01-09-2015, 08:58 AM

109 posts, read 235,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Uh.. what? It's an established fact that the UK is one of the best places in the world to be homosexual. The ILGA even named it as the best place in Europe to be gay, while the Spartacus Gay Travel Index ranked it 5th in the world. I have no idea where you're getting your ideas from but as an openly gay man living in the UK, I don't recoginise your description whatsoever, and we're certainly leaps and bounds ahead of the US when it comes to acceptance of homosexuals and LGBT people in general. There are few places in the world I'd feel safer being openly gay than here.

British people are the best ones accepting the laws, so they will accept something when Its legally accepted, which doesnt mean they will talk positively about it when they can state their opinion in a safe and private enviroment (lets say at home with friends). British Islanders love to shove off masculinity to fight in bars, get drunk.. no wonder they used to call the french "gays" , because they hold a lot of insecurities and prejudgement against homosexuals... that something is allowed doesnt mean It's seen as natural or fully accepted.

Old 01-09-2015, 11:07 AM

13,488 posts, read 9,036,858 times
Quote:
British people are the best ones accepting the laws, so they will accept something when Its legally accepted, which doesnt mean they will talk positively about it when they can state their opinion in a safe and private enviroment (lets say at home with friends). British Islanders love to shove off masculinity to fight in bars, get drunk.. no wonder they used to call the french "gays" , because they hold a lot of insecurities and prejudgement against homosexuals... that something is allowed doesnt mean It's seen as natural or fully accepted.
Sorry but that is absolute crap

Yes there may be the odd homophobe about, but MOST people are accepting & see being gay as perfectly natural... What you describe is something from the 1950's

Old 01-09-2015, 01:53 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,214,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I'm not gay, but have lived in plenty of large U.S. cities where there is a large population of gay men and gay communities.

This is just my own opinion, but I'd MUCH rather be in a San Francisco or Atlanta or Seattle or somewhere and be openly gay than I would anywhere in the UK, outside of London.

jamesdean73 observations on Brits, is more or less what I've observed as well, from time to time...

Old 01-09-2015, 04:20 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,108,723 times
I work in Chelsea, a very open, rich, tolerant place, but even the Gays don't hold hands, only walk their small dogs in silence.
I think Britain is polite, but would discriminate.( If I am honest) I`ve not even gone to North Britain yet!

Old 01-09-2015, 08:49 PM

109 posts, read 235,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by England Dan View Post
I work in Chelsea, a very open, rich, tolerant place, but even the Gays don't hold hands, only walk their small dogs in silence.
I think Britain is polite, but would discriminate.( If I am honest) I`ve not even gone to North Britain yet!
I felt tension in british society, it might have permissive laws, but people dont have a real permissive mentality, for example british parents are quite uncomfortable talking about sex with their kids in comparison to many mainland european countries and scandinavia where Its seen as more normal..

Old 01-09-2015, 09:29 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,893,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julia90 View Post
^yes, with this I agree.

10% is I we count also people who are lightly bisexual and the bisexuals.

I'm a Kinsey 1 (lightly bisexual).. Maybe
I'm not sure why people are hooked on percentages.. Truth be told even in societies that are progressive and open it is not exactly 'easy' to be gay or even bi and there are certainly pressures that push people into the closet.. From what I know, science hasn't been able to establish a percentage from a biological p.o.v.. It you go to sociological survey's - are they accurate, are people honest and what does it take for one to consider themself 'gay' 'bi' or even 'straight' for that matter... Would it be reassuring to you that the percentage is 2 vs 10 percent? Otherwise until there is some sort of proven biological way to ascertain this mathematically than we really won't know and even that won't fully answer the question because homesexuality may have an environmental basis in some of a population as well.. Human sexuality is an extraordinarily complex thing.

One thing that I think is reasonable for sure, in many societies the number of individuals who have engaged in same-sex activity at least at one point of their life is probably much much higher than either 2 or 10 percent and it begs the question that if a society cultivated absolute and unconditional acceptance of sexual expression whatever that may be based on an individuals true desire, the number of people who are vanilla 'straight' is probably FAR less than 98 percent and probably far less than even 90....

Old 01-10-2015, 08:36 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,601,133 times
Quote:
This is pointless speculation on your part though. You have absolutely no proof to back up your baseless assertions, but since I actually live here and interact daily with the people who reside here, my claims are obviously more believable and credible than whatever nonsense you're posting.

Britain was certainly prejudiced against homosexuals - even in the 1980s - but that is no longer the case. Not even a little bit. Your idea that British people are secretly homophobic behind closed doors is convenient for you because it cannot be proved or disproved - even if I can safely state it isn't the case. You would rather ignore statistics and base your opinion on wild thoughts. Bad idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I'm not gay, but have lived in plenty of large U.S. cities where there is a large population of gay men and gay communities.

This is just my own opinion, but I'd MUCH rather be in a San Francisco or Atlanta or Seattle or somewhere and be openly gay than I would anywhere in the UK, outside of London.

jamesdean73 observations on Brits, is more or less what I've observed as well, from time to time...
That's nice - but you're not gay, so your opinion is automatically rendered invalid on the matter. Please go away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by England Dan View Post
I'd hardly call Chelsea tolerant - it's full of rich Middle Easterners and Russian oligarchs - not exactly known for their 'progressive' beliefs - not to mention that the area is not exactly a typical haunt for gay men, being obscenely expensive, boring, empty and pretentious (probably the last place in London I'd want to go). Large parts of London are dominated by immigrants from less tolerant areas of the world like Pakistan and India (and their descendants, which are usually conservative and traditional still), relative to other places. I'd say London has a far larger gay scene but the people there are probably less tolerant, if anything, than the rest of the country, on average. A survey actually showed that more people in London and the SE think homosexuality should be illegal than anywhere else in the UK.

I'd feel far safer in Brighton than London as a gay person, and having experience of London, Brighton and my own home city, I feel safer here than I do in either, as well as Manchester, Liverpool, Sheffield and other cities in 'North Britain'. People here might be poorer, but they're certainly tolerant - probably more so than anywhere else in the country, and there is less need for a segregated gay scene, because gay people here can interact with the rest of the population without fear of stigmatization and harassment. The thought of 'gay villages' is preposterous anyway (more so than your idea that gay men walk small dogs - we're not Paris Hilton).

Quote:
I felt tension in british society, it might have permissive laws, but people dont have a real permissive mentality, for example british parents are quite uncomfortable talking about sex with their kids in comparison to many mainland european countries and scandinavia where Its seen as more normal..
More prudent, yes, but that has no bearing on our acceptance of homosexuality. A lot of people here are just uncomfortable when it comes to talking about sex, straight or otherwise, and consider it a very private and personal matter. This is becoming less and less relevant though, since each new generation ushers in more sexual openness than the last. Considering how promiscuous young British people are considered to be, sexual prudence would be contradictory, wouldn't you agree?

but anyway - to the last and most pertinent point - all of your ideas regarding British people and how we behave are ridiculous outdated - by at least 25 years. Get with the times, and stop trolling. It is absolutely insane that people are trying to argue that Britain isn't a good place for gay people even though all reasonable evidence - and the words of gay people themselves (especially those who live here - such as MYSELF) - say otherwise. What on earth is wrong with you people, and where the hell do you get off?

I'm starting to think there is a reason why I don't bother posting on here anymore. Sick and tired of what constitutes proper discourse on this forum.

Last edited by dunno what to put here; 01-10-2015 at 09:18 AM..

Old 01-10-2015, 09:26 AM

321 posts, read 400,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majurius View Post
Sorry it's very hard to understand what you are trying to say. There's already an EU task force in place. Just gather them to some cages and don't let them go anywhere else than to a boat going back to 3rd world
LOL are you serious? If we did that we would have UN and EU human rights groups at our throat right away.
It is easy mocking Italy from Finland for not letting desperate African migrants drown in the Med sea, isn't it?

Old 01-13-2015, 02:55 PM

984 posts, read 1,315,926 times
No country is any more prone to homosexuality than any other whether they be very liberal or very conservative. It is pure genetics and saying there is more in one region than another is like saying parts of the world have more left handed people than others.

Homosexuality is around 3% of the population. and the stupid 10% figure includes bi-sexual people. While Western countries may seem to have larger gay populations don't confuse sexual orientation with lifestyle. Western countries allow homosexuals to live in relative peace so are more open about their sexuality while in conservative countries showing any form of homosexuality could get you head chopped off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe