Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 10:12 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuuKulgur View Post
Newer appliances usually work between 110-240 V so you don't need a transformer, just an adopter.
He needs to CHECK THE VOLTAGE of his appliances and electronics - not just assume. "Usually" isn't very helpful when one is faced with a fried appliance or when you plug something in and start to smell smoke or sparks start to fly, or you realize you've just ruined your item.

http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advi...ity-guide.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 10:29 AM

1,704 posts, read 1,837,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
He needs to CHECK THE VOLTAGE of his appliances and electronics - not just assume. "Usually" isn't very helpful when one is faced with a fried appliance or when you plug something in and start to smell smoke or sparks start to fly, or you realize you've just ruined your item.
Well at least for me all my stuff works in the 110-240 V range so that's why I said usually as I don't know exactly what electronics the OP wants to bring or what voltage range the US electronics support. I haven't seen a single device in the last 5 or more years that don't support the required voltage range but of course still check just to be sure.

You don't need to buy an euro iPhone charger, it will work.

Old 03-16-2015, 10:45 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,342,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorebugs View Post
I will be in England, then Belgium, then Germany, then Spain, then Andorra. Less then 3 months in each country so I don't need a visa of any kind. By the time I am in Spain I will know where the next several destinations are.
You should really look up the visa regime of the Schengen area and of those countries that aren't part of Schengen. I smell troubles.

Old 03-16-2015, 10:51 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
You should really look up the visa regime of the Schengen area and of those countries that aren't part of Schengen. I smell troubles.
You aren't kidding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3pltmw6cmI

Old 03-16-2015, 10:52 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,844,521 times
Fvkin love that song.

I've been saaaaaaaavvvvvveeeeddd by a women.

Old 03-16-2015, 11:23 AM

34 posts, read 59,834 times
In Europe is every country going to have different phone providers? Or are there any providers that span the whole continent?
I am currently on Tmobile which with my plan will not work outside of the country

Old 03-16-2015, 11:29 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,378,757 times
T mobile is a world wide phone provider...

Old 03-16-2015, 11:32 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,641,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorebugs View Post
In Europe is every country going to have different phone providers? Or are there any providers that span the whole continent?
I am currently on Tmobile which with my plan will not work outside of the country
I'm no expert. I've only been here for a few months, but as far as I know, yes, every country has its own phone providers. One of the big inconveniences you're going to notice right away is that you can't travel across the continent and expect things to be the same everywhere. The beauty of Europe -- that it has multiple cultures in a tight space -- can also be a pain. As Americans, you and I are used to traveling 3,000 miles and still being in a place with more or less the same laws and rules. Not so here.

Old 03-16-2015, 11:48 AM

34 posts, read 59,834 times
Its not so much the calling or texting part I care about.

I just need a way to access the internet wherever I go without having to rely on public wifi

Here in the US this is not an issue because I can tether my laptop with my phones internet

Old 03-16-2015, 12:27 PM

1,222 posts, read 2,278,666 times
If you're planning on working anywhere in the Schengen Area without an appropriate visa you may be in for a bad awakening. You should get the visa issue sorted out before thinking about things like cell phone plans or adapters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe