Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: .
UK 36 46.75%
Deustchland 41 53.25%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 02:07 AM

667 posts, read 942,101 times

Advertisements

These are both very cool and developed countries, but for some reason not my favourite ones.
I prefer neither.
That being said, I've been to Germany 6 or 7 times, while I have never been to the UK. Maybe I would love it, who knows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2015, 04:25 AM

2,862 posts, read 4,634,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
Neither

UK: friendlier and more diverse but too rainy, nanny state, alcoholism is the thing to do on the weekends

GERMANY: robotic, sterile, boring, cold, a rock has more charisma than the average German person

Agreed!

Old 03-24-2015, 04:32 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,843,928 times
I made the move, I live now in Africa and I love it (I am in Namibia)

Ive been here two weeks and it's the therapy I needed... I am was so sick of being Europe (no offense to Europeans)

things I love

1. No selfies, no iphones, people make eye contact (In Europe you went out and almost everyone was absorbed into their phones, starting a conversation with a stranger is completely awkward, not welcome.... Europeans only exclusively interact with the people they know, if they don't know you good luck trying to make friends with them.
Africa on the other hand is different, you go out and everyone smiles... people live like life was meant to be lived meaning (I was at a bar and the girl next to me started to talk to me, eventually the whole bar was laughing and talking with each other, I left that night with seven different phone numbers from seven different people)

2. No USA talk... I was exhausted of European non-stop USA talk, in Africa people see the US as a very distant place, most imagine cliches like michael jackson, hollywood and that is it.... in Europe you get constantly bombarded by pseudo-intellectuals trying to have a conversation with you about something meaningful, and meaningful to them is bashing the US and comparing Europe with the US and then telling you how much better they are because Europe has this and the US doesn't. (I don't care, honestly I am not interested)

3. Art is alive, is community, is local color... in Europe art is snobby, only for those who think of themselves sophisticated enough to be artsy, while in Africa even the fisherman who lives from the sea is art!

4. life is about living, life is not about working and trying to be skinny and going on holidays and then coming back to work for another year.... life in Africa is to be lived 24/7!!! you wake up to the sound of chickens, cows, children laughing on their way to school!!! in Europe you wake up to the sound of traffic jams, everyone going to work in the dark gloomy weather that depressed me so much

5. African men are gentlemen, courteous, I have never been called Lady so much in my life, holding doors, allowing me to go first!! In Europe men don't hold doors, don't have chivalry (It probably comes from european women being so much into feminism and all those "isms" europeans love to be part of)

6. People are authentic.... a smile is truly a smile, a hello lady is truly a hello lady.... no rudeness, no snotty attitudes, no I am wearing prada so I am better than you

7. Food is healthy and organic and 100% locally grown.... in Europe food has additives not to the extent it does in the US but it does!!!

8. your neighbors care about you, I moved in and suddenly I had a surprise party, the community I moved into welcomed me immediately!! they baked, cooked and made all kind of meals to welcome me!! In Europe my neighbors wouldn't even say bonjour despite living next to me for 3 long years!

9. bad weather means some rain in the afternoon hours!! and then back to blue skies!!! In europe bad weather means gloomy dark rainy 8 months of the year!!! (I was so pale, I think I was vitamin D defficient at the end)

10. going out is a community affair, you go out and they have a bonfire with music and everyone from the community is dancing and sharing... in Europe going out means wearing your zara dress, make up and go out to see if some douchebag approves of you and buys you a drink!!

AFRICA IS SO AMAZING!! I am inlove with this place!

Old 03-24-2015, 04:36 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,129,875 times
Tie, am/ would be happy live in either. I have been living in Germany for 15 years now and it feels like home. I was in England only once (Not counting a day trip to Folkstone with the ferry while in France) for 6 weeks and really liked it.

I spent 3 weeks in a small town near Gosport on the Solent for a sailing championship in 99 and then had plans to hitchhike around and head up to the Peak or Lake district to climb Gritstone but ended up meeting my German now ex wife. She was touring England on her motorcycle and we spent a couple of weeks camping and touring Wales.

Loved it there and the ocean is a big plus. However I would miss the central location of Germany, being able to go lot´s of places cheaply and Germany has done a lot for me, I consider changing my citizenship, dunno maybe I will one day.

Then again I could imagine to live in most European countries as long as I could find work and get along ok there.

No hate for the US but no desire to live there again.

Old 03-24-2015, 04:46 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,255,051 times
Quote:
I made the move, I live now in Africa and I love it (I am in Namibia)

Ive been here two weeks and it's the therapy I needed... I am was so sick of being Europe (no offense to Europeans)

things I love

1. No selfies, no iphones, people make eye contact (In Europe you went out and almost everyone was absorbed into their phones, starting a conversation with a stranger is completely awkward, not welcome.... Europeans only exclusively interact with the people they know, if they don't know you good luck trying to make friends with them.
Africa on the other hand is different, you go out and everyone smiles... people live like life was meant to be lived meaning (I was at a bar and the girl next to me started to talk to me, eventually the whole bar was laughing and talking with each other, I left that night with seven different phone numbers from seven different people)

2. No USA talk... I was exhausted of European non-stop USA talk, in Africa people see the US as a very distant place, most imagine cliches like michael jackson, hollywood and that is it.... in Europe you get constantly bombarded by pseudo-intellectuals trying to have a conversation with you about something meaningful, and meaningful to them is bashing the US and comparing Europe with the US and then telling you how much better they are because Europe has this and the US doesn't. (I don't care, honestly I am not interested)

3. Art is alive, is community, is local color... in Europe art is snobby, only for those who think of themselves sophisticated enough to be artsy, while in Africa even the fisherman who lives from the sea is art!

4. life is about living, life is not about working and trying to be skinny and going on holidays and then coming back to work for another year.... life in Africa is to be lived 24/7!!! you wake up to the sound of chickens, cows, children laughing on their way to school!!! in Europe you wake up to the sound of traffic jams, everyone going to work in the dark gloomy weather that depressed me so much

5. African men are gentlemen, courteous, I have never been called Lady so much in my life, holding doors, allowing me to go first!! In Europe men don't hold doors, don't have chivalry (It probably comes from european women being so much into feminism and all those "isms" europeans love to be part of)

6. People are authentic.... a smile is truly a smile, a hello lady is truly a hello lady.... no rudeness, no snotty attitudes, no I am wearing prada so I am better than you

7. Food is healthy and organic and 100% locally grown.... in Europe food has additives not to the extent it does in the US but it does!!!

8. your neighbors care about you, I moved in and suddenly I had a surprise party, the community I moved into welcomed me immediately!! they baked, cooked and made all kind of meals to welcome me!! In Europe my neighbors wouldn't even say bonjour despite living next to me for 3 long years!

9. bad weather means some rain in the afternoon hours!! and then back to blue skies!!! In europe bad weather means gloomy dark rainy 8 months of the year!!! (I was so pale, I think I was vitamin D defficient at the end)

10. going out is a community affair, you go out and they have a bonfire with music and everyone from the community is dancing and sharing... in Europe going out means wearing your zara dress, make up and go out to see if some douchebag approves of you and buys you a drink!!

AFRICA IS SO AMAZING!! I am inlove with this place!
I hope you can repost some of this on the Africa Forum, or a separate thread in the Europe forum!

I would like to talk a lot more about this, but it would quickly get buried in this very unrelated thread. Can you repost it, or parts of it, as another thread?

Old 03-24-2015, 04:51 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,843,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I hope you can repost some of this on the Africa Forum, or a separate thread in the Europe forum!

I would like to talk a lot more about this, but it would quickly get buried in this very unrelated thread. Can you repost it, or parts of it, as another thread?
I just did

Old 03-24-2015, 06:00 AM

1,267 posts, read 1,250,048 times
Quote:
I am was so sick of being Europe (no offense to Europeans)
So why then go on to list several offensive and stereotypical (ie way off mark) aspects of European culture?

Your experience and perception is ridiculously black and white, how about a few shades of grey? All Europe has gloomy weather when it's bad? We all wear Zara dresses when we go out? All African men are gentlemen? Really. Good job everyone on here is aware of your nonsense.

While I'm at it, it's great you're having a wonderful time in Namibia, but do you really need to be so negative about the UK and Germany (with some dubious and simplistic reasoning) in order to make your point? Whatever, I'm sure the negative aspects of staying in Namibia will bite you on the arse pretty soon...

Last edited by pbobcat; 03-24-2015 at 06:18 AM..

Old 03-24-2015, 06:29 AM

14,822 posts, read 12,064,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARPATHIAN View Post
Is sometimes something of bad taste in Uk (look at 2012 Olympics ceremonies or architecture of the stadium) that you won't see in Germany, which has a sense of moderation. This is one of the several reasons for which I prefer Germany.
Interesting, particularly coming from somebody from an ex Soviet state - care to elaborate?

Old 03-24-2015, 06:57 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,128,773 times
Hmmmm, the positives of each in my opinion...

England:

Common language
Really cool history and historical sites
Beautiful villages and small towns
I really appreciate and enjoy British culture, humor, etc.
Mild climate with four seasons

Negatives - lots of rain, very crowded overall, sort of monotonous cuisine for my tastes (outside big metros)

Germany:

Lots of interesting history, great castle ruins
Beautiful natural scenery
I like the German people in general, especially those who live in the southern regions
I also like German food for the most part

Negatives - colder climate than I prefer, language difference, and I can't stand oompa oompa music! LOL

I wouldn't mind living in either country for awhile. Germany tugs at my heart and has a more melancholy feel to it - sort of "achingly beautiful" if that makes sense, while the UK seems more "like home" to me and is personally more invigorating, probably because I am more intrigued by it's history and culture.

Old 03-24-2015, 07:07 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,129,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Hmmmm, the positives of each in my opinion...

Negatives - I can't stand oompa oompa music! LOL
Neither can most of the Germans I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe