Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: .
UK 36 46.75%
Deustchland 41 53.25%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 11:29 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,699,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
Neither

UK: friendlier and more diverse but too rainy, nanny state, alcoholism is the thing to do on the weekends

GERMANY: robotic, sterile, boring, cold, a rock has more charisma than the average German person
oh ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2015, 11:33 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,347,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
And although I am no expert when it comes to Germany I'm pretty sure the 'oompa oompa' music is another stereotype that probably doesn't hold true!
It's a type of music which was developed in southern Bavaria as well as in parts of Austria (+ South Tyrol) and Switzerland. Not particularly popular in any of these regions anymore.

Old 03-24-2015, 11:34 AM

363 posts, read 480,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjasse View Post
German music is techno. Maybe you could say that's just a form of oompa oompa music. Maybe Katherine has Oompa music in her head since Texas is filled with Tejano music.

It looks like it overall rains more in Berlin than in London. London has rainier winters but Berlin has much rainier summers. Actually a quick glance at the climate data for the main cities in Germany makes Germany look to be a very rainy place. The largest cities in Germany are comparable to the rainiest places in the UK. Whereas London is much less rainy than most German cities.
Techno / Electronic music was actually invented in Germany, so credit to Germany for that...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsJBC_9U1IE

Old 03-24-2015, 11:39 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
It's a type of music which was developed in southern Bavaria as well as in parts of Austria (+ South Tyrol) and Switzerland. Not particularly popular in any of these regions anymore.
I think it's become a niche, that some people enjoy during traditional festivals. Maybe enthusiasm for that has peaked and waned since sometime in the middle of the last century.

Old 03-24-2015, 11:40 AM

25 posts, read 286,723 times
Germany seems better:

HDI adjusted with inequality:
0,846 Germany>0,812 Uk

But I wouldn t never live in northern or central europe

Old 03-24-2015, 11:53 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,347,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I think it's become a niche, that some people enjoy during traditional festivals. Maybe enthusiasm for that has peaked and waned since sometime in the middle of the last century.
Well, yeah. They play it at traditional events. Or at least something that's relatively similar to what one would call "oompah"-music. The instrument that's creating that classic "oompah" sound, the tuba, isn't really used that much, though.

Let's put it like that. If you really want to experience something like that (as in: not a performance for tourists):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhWwZaoqmgQ

You'll really have to go off the beaten path. I'd even say that the vast majority of Bavarians, Austrians, South Tyroleans and Swiss haven't seen anything like that in their life.

Old 03-24-2015, 02:38 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
The highlighted part is just a stereotypical opinion (I'm surprised at you Katherine), the rainfall amounts differ wildly across the UK (eg the Scottish highlands are wet yet the London basin actually has quite a 'dry' climate), I certainly don't think it rains a whole lot more in the UK compared to parts of Germany. I'm not sure what you mean by 'monotonous' cuisine either? And although I am no expert when it comes to Germany I'm pretty sure the 'oompa oompa' music is another stereotype that probably doesn't hold true!
In my defense this post was a bit tongue in cheek. And I'm surprised that you didn't catch my subtle humor in that post! I'll have to work on that. (Must watch more BBC!)

But actually my favorite part of England IS rainier than my favorite part of Germany, so that made sense to me. If I had to live in either one, I'd sure as heck want to live in my favorite region of either, and in my case, my favorite part of England is considerably wetter and more overcast than my favorite part of Germany.

And I do find ENGLISH cuisine to be more boring than German cuisine. I'm not including ethnic foods that are widely available in both countries. That being said, I actually like the food in both countries pretty well.

As for the oompa oompa music, I hate to break it to you, but it's still a pretty common part of traditional holidays, fests, etc in Germany. Sad but true.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 03-24-2015 at 03:32 PM..

Old 03-24-2015, 02:40 PM

471 posts, read 621,801 times
Both countries are superpowers. My German cousin has a nice quality of life when I check his Facebook pictures.

England must be nice as well, the home of so much culture, music, arts, fashion, etc.

Old 03-24-2015, 02:42 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjasse View Post
German music is techno. Maybe you could say that's just a form of oompa oompa music. Maybe Katherine has Oompa music in her head since Texas is filled with Tejano music.

Funny you would mention that. Every time I hear Tejano music (which is as seldom as I can manage), I nearly always remark to whoever is near me, "It's amazing to me how much this sounds like German folk music!"

Old 03-24-2015, 02:58 PM

529 posts, read 556,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

As for the oompa oompa music, I hate to break it to you, but it's still a pretty common part of traditional holidays, fests, etc in Germany. Sad but true.
In Germany? What does it mean?
Is "oompah" music played in Düsseldorf? Can you hear it in Dresden? Or in Hamburg?

Last edited by Rozenn; 03-30-2015 at 02:38 PM.. Reason: Rude
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe