Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: .
UK 36 46.75%
Deustchland 41 53.25%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 03:01 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,128,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Well, yeah. They play it at traditional events. Or at least something that's relatively similar to what one would call "oompah"-music. The instrument that's creating that classic "oompah" sound, the tuba, isn't really used that much, though.

Let's put it like that. If you really want to experience something like that (as in: not a performance for tourists):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhWwZaoqmgQ

You'll really have to go off the beaten path. I'd even say that the vast majority of Bavarians, Austrians, South Tyroleans and Swiss haven't seen anything like that in their life.
Oh my gosh, I've heard that exact song at fests and volksmarches!

The note on this video said it was filmed in a village pub in Bavaria in 2007.

https://youtu.be/qzSf_mUSVhE

And if you go to a Fasching parade, you are almost certain to be treated to some fine traditional German music!

https://youtu.be/4Vb-WJFHzsg

Don't get me wrong - I know it's all in good fun and I'm all for traditions being kept alive. I just personally find it a very unappealing sort of music (same with Tejano music for that matter).

Actually the two styles sound so much alike because Tejano music was greatly influenced by Czech and German settlers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2015, 03:08 PM

102,255 posts, read 108,215,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Well, yeah. They play it at traditional events. Or at least something that's relatively similar to what one would call "oompah"-music. The instrument that's creating that classic "oompah" sound, the tuba, isn't really used that much, though.

Let's put it like that. If you really want to experience something like that (as in: not a performance for tourists):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhWwZaoqmgQ

You'll really have to go off the beaten path. I'd even say that the vast majority of Bavarians, Austrians, South Tyroleans and Swiss haven't seen anything like that in their life.
Cool! It's good to see younger people carrying on the tradition. I found an event like that when passing through a town in Bavaria, by following notices posted on telephone poles, or some sort of public notice board.

Old 03-24-2015, 03:18 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,468,485 times
That kind of music isn't really German, it's alpine.

I doubt any of it is "traditional" in any real way. Most of it was written in the 1960s. Sort of like folk music in the USA. Germany has a long history of sophisticated music. Folksy music is more of a laugh for the tourists on Oktoberfest.

However, there are even more embarassing musical trends in Germany, like Schlager. I'll never forget being in a night club in Munich with 10,000 Germans singing "Summer Lovin'" in unison.

Old 03-24-2015, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjasse View Post
That kind of music isn't really German, it's alpine.

I doubt any of it is "traditional" in any real way. Most of it was written in the 1960s. Sort of like folk music in the USA. Germany has a long history of sophisticated music. Folksy music is more of a laugh for the tourists on Oktoberfest.
Nope. Sorry.

It's very traditional. The roots of Tejano music are from this Germanic/Czech style of music, brought to central Texas in the mid 1800s by German and Czech settlers. That's why the two styles sound so similar.
http://spanish.about.com/cs/culture/f/germanmusicqa.htm

From the article:
Quote:
The story of the Mexican style of music you're talking about had its origins in central Texas around 1830 when a few immigrants established the first German settlement. The word about Texas spread back home, and within a few years formal efforts were under way to help Germans establish themselves in what would become known as the German Belt.
When I lived in Germany I didn't live in a touristy area, and we lived "on the economy" rather than on base. We often went Volksmarching, and most of the fellow marchers were German. At the end of the hikes, there was always traditional music and food at the local Sporthalle. Now - that was twenty years ago but that's not ancient history. And it was the Germans sitting around eating their bratwursts and soaking up that music - not a bunch of tourists.

Old 03-24-2015, 03:34 PM

It's not traditional to most of germany at all. It's from the alpine areas only. My grandpa from western germany would have never heard that music. It was just popularized in the 1960s as a sort of generic festival music.

Old 03-24-2015, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Heat View Post
In Germany? What does it mean?
Is "oompah" music played in Düsseldorf? Can you hear it in Dresden? Or in Hamburg?
Yes, I would bet that you can hear oompa music in all of the above cities.

My comment about oompa music was tongue in cheek. That being said, here you go! Maybe this will make you feel better (though it certainly doesn't have that effect on me). This was filmed recently in Dusseldorf by the way - glad it wasn't filmed by me!

https://youtu.be/hYBTt8XzxnA

Last edited by Rozenn; 03-30-2015 at 02:38 PM.. Reason: Orphaned

Old 03-24-2015, 03:42 PM

Quote:
It's not traditional to most of germany at all. It's from the alpine areas only. My grandpa from western germany would have never heard that music. It was just popularized in the 1960s as a sort of generic festival music.

Sigh.

Why don't you ask your grandfather about that?

Germans from various regions of Germany settled in Texas in the 1800s, and brought this traditional form of music with them. Not just from the Alps.

https://tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/png02

Old 03-24-2015, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Sigh.

Why don't you ask your grandfather about that?
because he's dead

Old 03-24-2015, 04:52 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,354,878 times
Quote:
The style I posted ("Pascher/Paschen"), which is indeed Alpine (from the Salzkammergut region to be specific), is certainly not from the 1960s

Old 03-24-2015, 05:31 PM

221 posts, read 343,992 times
Quote:
However, there are even more embarassing musical trends in Germany, like Schlager.
Come on! Who doesn't like listening to Schlagers every once in a while? It's almost as good as Eurovision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe