Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: .
UK 36 46.75%
Deustchland 41 53.25%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 02:49 PM

111 posts, read 133,584 times

Advertisements

Why do you think that I am not interested in climate?

Look, there are a lot of different figures about the sunshine hours per year in London. You say it's more than 1,600 hours, other sources say it's less than 1,500 hours.

1,460 hours: Sunshine & Daylight Hours in London, England, Uk Sunlight, Cloud & Day length
1,500 hours: London
1,480 hours: Annual Sunshine in the United Kingdom - Current Results

Here is something like a sunshine map of Europe:

Google-Ergebnis für http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f8/Europe_sunshine_hours_map.png

If this map is correct, than the population in Germany can enjoy more sun than the population in the UK.

Here is an other sunshine map of the UK:
https://metofficenews.files.wordpres...71-2000_17.gif

When I look at all those statistics and maps I would say Germany is a little bit more sunny. But I really don't care. I live in Düsseldorf and the weather here is really not that nice. It's funny that everyone thinks that London is so rainy and foggy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 02:56 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,772,971 times
Indeed, once you like a place, know people there etc., the weather doesn't matter anymore...
Still, I like statistics and maps

One big difference is the presence of visible minorities in cities. In Germany there are lots of Turks, but many of them blend in with Germans, while in British cities there are lots of South Asians and blacks, so it automatically feels more global and exotic.

Old 04-14-2015, 03:01 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,613,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westphal View Post
Why do you think that I am not interested in climate?

Look, there are a lot of different figures about the sunshine hours per year in London. You say it's more than 1,600 hours, other sources say it's less than 1,500 hours.
How about the official data from the UK Met Office?

Heathrow Airport - 1633 hours
Heathrow climate information - Met Office

Kew Gardens - 1653 hours
Royal Botanic Gardens Kew climate information - Met Office

When people say that London gets 1400 hours or so, they are using the data from Greenwich.
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/w...mate/gcpuzg28w

Note the coordinates for the Greenwich weather station: 51.477, 0.004
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/...x0:0x0!6m1!1e1

The sunshine data from Greenwich is not reliable as the weather station is situated under trees, which block out the light, as you can see from the google maps image.

Old 04-14-2015, 03:01 PM

106 posts, read 143,145 times
lol, you should visit Birmingham or Bradford for example

have you ever been to Britain Neuling?

In Bradford 25% of the total population are muslim. Man that's crazy.

edit: oh god, watch that https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0INPXZ2XUk

in my modest opinion, that's going way too far.

Last edited by Jozef77; 04-14-2015 at 03:19 PM..

Old 04-14-2015, 03:06 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,772,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozef77 View Post

have you ever been to Britain Neuling? Your name is German by the way.

Yes, I lived in Britain for some time and it definitely felt different than Germany, just like every European country feels different from all the others.

Birmingham? Love that city

Old 04-14-2015, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Yes, I lived in Britain for some time and it definitely felt different than Germany, just like every European country feels different from all the others.

Birmingham? Love that city
the closest thing must be Berlin - Kreuzberg i guess

edit: Turks are different than the muslims in Britain. They are not that much into religion and islam. they are more European.

Old 04-14-2015, 03:11 PM

111 posts, read 133,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
One difference is that in Britain most people live in the sunnier parts of the country, whereas in Germany that is not the case. The state of NRW is the most populous one and at the same time the gloomiest one in terms of climate.

Found a detailed map showing the sunshine hours for Britain:
http://www.gov.scot/Resource/Img/296493/0085721.gif

And a map for Germany:
http://www2.balingen.de/tourist/wett...cheindauer.gif
NRW is where the pink and brown spots are.

The sunniest region in Germany is probably the Allgäu, where however few people live, it's like the Wild West of Bavaria ^^

"NRW is where the pink and brown spots are."

Thank you for the information, I didn't know that before despite the fact I live now for 42 years in NRW.

I have found also this two maps, and summarizing it seems to be that the population in Germany can enjoy more sun. The Rhein-Ruhr metro region seems to be a little bit more sunny than the agglomeration Manchester-Liverpool-Leeds-Sheffield (what's the name of this old industrial region?)

According to some other sources the sunniest region in Germany is in the North East, the island of Usedeom.
Here in Düsseldorf, we have definitely too little sun and to many rainy days. But therefore it's wunderful green here, not that brown and dried out like around Magdeburg.

Old 04-14-2015, 03:23 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,614,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozef77 View Post

have you ever been to Britain Neuling?

edit: oh god, watch that
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0INPXZ2XUk

in my modest opinion, that's going way too far.
Interesting change of topic. Bradford is not a nice place, but hasn't been a nice place for about 25 years. It's right next door to Leeds, and the success of Leeds has been to the detriment of Bradford. The two cannot be successful at the same time. When one is up, the other is down. The Muslims aren't the reason for that.

Birmingham is alright.

Old 04-14-2015, 03:30 PM

^

i find the whole approach of this topic wrong. why not pointing out the good things about both countries instead? i can't say this country is better than the other, it's all personal preference anyway.

Old 04-14-2015, 03:32 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,614,700 times
I don't think either is better. I think they are both fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe