Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 07:05 PM

4,449 posts, read 4,634,027 times

Advertisements

Re: Hungary...'it was on a good track, but boy'
Mr. Orban's 'illiberal' democracy makes a horror show of 'democratic' principles..the country is losing its bearings...and then that little tilt to want to play among Vladimir's courtiers..keeping the bases covered..

Magyar weather report follows my Eastern Euro watchers..;-)..

http://youtu.be/4YlTUDnsWMo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 07:08 PM

102,300 posts, read 108,429,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
As far as prosperity, human rights, etc. etc.?
Individual countries could. Slovenia doesn't have any human rights issues, and it's really coming along in the prosperity department. Czech Republic and Slovenia could catch up. Are you sure some of those aren't already caught up to parts of Western Europe? Slovenia & Czech Republic might be doing at least as well as Spain and Italy, if not better.

Old 04-30-2015, 10:18 PM

463 posts, read 1,131,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDentist View Post
In terms of human rights, almost all Eastern European countries are already on level with Western Europe.

In terms of economy, yeah I do believe Eastern Europe will catch up fully with Western Europe. Countries like Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia etc. are arguably already at the same levels as Western Europe.
So why countries like Belgium, Netherlands, France, etc. are full of Polish workers?

Old 04-30-2015, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Individual countries could. Slovenia doesn't have any human rights issues, and it's really coming along in the prosperity department. Czech Republic and Slovenia could catch up. Are you sure some of those aren't already caught up to parts of Western Europe? Slovenia & Czech Republic might be doing at least as well as Spain and Italy, if not better.
Slovenia and Czech republic have always been the most prosperous areas of "Eastern Europe" (of course these countries are not really eastern Europe is you look at the map)

Old 04-30-2015, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcricket300 View Post
Every European Country (including Russia) has high Human Rights development, except Moldova.
Really? In Ukraine dozens of journalists have been just since last year...

Old 04-30-2015, 10:34 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,572,888 times
What is more important than reaching the prosperity is the preservation of natural environment and traditional cultural values. I hope the EE will not make the mistakes that lead to the desertification of WE in this respect.

WE is not a positive model or an ideal (at least not for intelligent people), except for the aspect of the Nordic egalitarian system. On the contrary, is a bad example of a society and physical environment ruined by the very cult of prosperity and is sad you still don't aknowledge this error of your past. You have money and comfort now but no more nature.

The question should rather be put in the other way:

Will WE learn from EE to live in harmony with nature and will they adopt the values of Eastern (especially Orthodox) countries in respect of life purpose, moral principles, family, human relations and so on?

EE is a healthier world than WE, in fact, WE is quite a disaster and I hope EE (the idiots from here) will stop mimic it in time. Those who think otherwise (be they majoritary) are just superficial, blind people. The only way WE can be saved is to get rid of their suicidal narcissism and isolation and start learn from cultures with better value systems, including, or in the first stance, from EE.

Last edited by CARPATHIAN; 04-30-2015 at 10:53 PM..

Old 04-30-2015, 10:52 PM

26,848 posts, read 22,692,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
As far as prosperity, human rights, etc. etc.?
No, they won't.
They've been on the outskirts of the "Western world" for a reason to begin with, and when "Western world" became the financial locomotive of the world, EE was neither included in the club, nor did it produce anything of particular value in *non-material* sense of it. (Whatever it did produce in this sense, it didn't have abilities to properly develop and implement; it was up to more powerful and influential nations.)
So financially speaking, EE will be always playing a role of a servant, working around wants and needs of its master (the West) and getting a modest salary in return. That's as far as prosperity goes.
As for "human rights" - those go hand in hand with money. When countries have enough in their coffers, they can take care of all its citizens, thus observing their "human rights." When state coffers don't have sufficient funds, - oh well... human rights will be observed for some in the society, and not the others...

Old 04-30-2015, 11:03 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,572,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
They've been on the outskirts of the "Western world" for a reason to begin with
This is a matter of spatial perception. Every culture see other cultures as exterior, situated at their limits

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
So financially speaking, EE will be always playing a role of a servant, working around wants and needs of its master (the West) and getting a modest salary in return. That's as far as prosperity goes.
This phrase just confirm the sick (in this case, almost racist) infatuation of many people in WE. And is delusional as well. Most probable, at some point people in EE will emancipate, will stop worshipping the 'Western model' (which is a caricatural situation, given the superiority of EE) and will find their own, better way.

Old 04-30-2015, 11:28 PM

102,300 posts, read 108,429,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by takeo3 View Post
Slovenia and Czech republic have always been the most prosperous areas of "Eastern Europe" (of course these countries are not really eastern Europe is you look at the map)
OK, so you now want to tailor the map of E Europe so that it fits with the OP's stereotype? Give credit where credit is due. Slovenia, once part of Yugoslavia, is doing well. Hooray for them! Go, team!

Old 04-30-2015, 11:52 PM

26,848 posts, read 22,692,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARPATHIAN View Post
This is a matter of spatial perception. Every culture see other cultures as exterior, situated at their limits

This phrase just confirm the sick (in this case, almost racist) infatuation of many people in WE. And is delusional as well. Most probable, at some point people in EE will emancipate, will stop worshipping the 'Western model' (which is a caricatural situation, given the superiority of EE) and will find their own, better way.
Just in case you still don't know I am a former Moscovite, fourth generation. I just HAPPEN to live in the West. So no "worshiping of the "Western model" here (and what "Western model?" I find "old Europe" to be quite different from the US for example, so as far as I can see, there is no unified "Western model" - such thing doesn't exist.) I like a lot of things about "Western models," but I see plenty of shortcomings as well - in some places more than in other.
And those who try to pretend that EE is "practically the same thing as Western Europe" ( if it were not for "damn Russians") make me smile.
And I am obviously aware of strong sides of Russian culture comparably to "Western models" in spite of all the failures on Russia's part. And Russia IS as much EE as it gets, isn't it?))))
So no racist sentiments here, but rather understanding that pretences of some Eastern Europeans are just that - pretenses to be what they are not. However to be yourself, to be what you really are - an Eastern European, to stick to your own identity - it simply takes a bigger and mightier state I guess. If not - you'll be always "on outskirts," trying to pretend to be something you are not, trying to "fit in" with the "masters" in the neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe