Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 02:40 PM

172 posts, read 177,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Maybe if you are really image obsessed, in reality clothes are just clothes
Yes of course. I guess it works different in the U.S. Americans are much more talkative and they notice quickly by talking to other people how they tick. That's probably different here in Europe, at least here in Germany. I think over here people try to distinguish themselves from others through different clothing styles. So other people are able to judge the person by looking at their clothes. That is maybe a substitute for the almost non existing small talk over here. Whether you find a person likeable or not, often depends on the fashion style. Different social groups mostly dress different. You often can conclude from the clothes to the educational background. That has less to do with the income, but rather with the level of education. In Germany we have three different levels of highschools (Hauptschule, Realschule, Gymnasium). And in most cases you can distinguish people whether they are from a Hauptschule or from a Gymnasium by looking at their fashion styles. That works very well over here.

I guess that sounds crazy for most Americans. Maybe I am completely wrong. I don't know. But that would also explain why name brand clothing is so much more expensive in Europe than in the U.S. The apparel is made in Asia and should cost the same in Europe and the U.S. Regarding the higher VAT slightly more in Europe. But the price differences are much bigger. No-name clothing cost almost the same in Europe and in the U.S. There is not such a differences. It's obviously clear that the big brands can demand higher prices in Europe than in the U.S., because Europeans are willing to pay more for more fashionable clothes. I can't find an other explanation why name brand clothing are significant more expensive in Europe than in the U.S. If the big brands would demand the same prices in the U.S. the demand for those clothings would fall even deeper in the U.S.

Many Americans seem to dress similar to the less educated people in Germany. That's maybe one reason why American tourists have a reputation for being stupid. That's certainly not the case, that they are stupid. There is in the U.S. probably not such a difference in clothing styles according to the level of education like it is in Germany.

That are only my own speculations. I don't now how applicable they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2015, 04:14 PM

1,523 posts, read 2,865,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorianD View Post
Yes of course. I guess it works different in the U.S. Americans are much more talkative and they notice quickly by talking to other people how they tick. That's probably different here in Europe, at least here in Germany. I think over here people try to distinguish themselves from others through different clothing styles. So other people are able to judge the person by looking at their clothes. That is maybe a substitute for the almost non existing small talk over here. Whether you find a person likeable or not, often depends on the fashion style. Different social groups mostly dress different. You often can conclude from the clothes to the educational background. That has less to do with the income, but rather with the level of education. In Germany we have three different levels of highschools (Hauptschule, Realschule, Gymnasium). And in most cases you can distinguish people whether they are from a Hauptschule or from a Gymnasium by looking at their fashion styles. That works very well over here.

I guess that sounds crazy for most Americans. Maybe I am completely wrong. I don't know. But that would also explain why name brand clothing is so much more expensive in Europe than in the U.S. The apparel is made in Asia and should cost the same in Europe and the U.S. Regarding the higher VAT slightly more in Europe. But the price differences are much bigger. No-name clothing cost almost the same in Europe and in the U.S. There is not such a differences. It's obviously clear that the big brands can demand higher prices in Europe than in the U.S., because Europeans are willing to pay more for more fashionable clothes. I can't find an other explanation why name brand clothing are significant more expensive in Europe than in the U.S. If the big brands would demand the same prices in the U.S. the demand for those clothings would fall even deeper in the U.S.

Many Americans seem to dress similar to the less educated people in Germany. That's maybe one reason why American tourists have a reputation for being stupid. That's certainly not the case, that they are stupid. There is in the U.S. probably not such a difference in clothing styles according to the level of education like it is in Germany.

That are only my own speculations. I don't now how applicable they are.
It's much more likely that lower class Germans (I thought there weren't classes in Europe anymore!?) dress like Americans. America is where jeans and t-shirts come from. Western Europeans in general copy Americans to a staggering extent.

Old 07-11-2015, 04:56 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,567,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
It's much more likely that lower class Germans (I thought there weren't classes in Europe anymore!?) dress like Americans. America is where jeans and t-shirts come from. Western Europeans in general copy Americans to a staggering extent.
T-shirts yes. Blue Jeans....kind of.

Who Invented Blue Jeans? | Wonderopolis

Old 07-11-2015, 05:02 PM

30 posts, read 31,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
T-shirts yes. Blue Jeans....kind of.

Who Invented Blue Jeans? | Wonderopolis
Jeans are American, invented by an immigrant in California and much more importantly it was an American style that only reached into Europe after the US army liberated Europe. Everyone knows American workers wore jean and t-shirts as blue-collar wear long before they became cool and adopted by the rest of the world. Even as recently as the 1950's t-shirts were worn by American military men and wearing one signified you were in the military. It didn't come into Canada until the same period as the changing of the flag.

Old 07-11-2015, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post

It surely has nothing to do with that jeans or t-shirts are coming from America. Europeans wear more jeans than Americans. All groups wear jeans, t-shirts, and sneakers. It's the way people combine colours and different textures of clothes. Lower class people are often unable to match different pieces of clothing, it often doesn't fit together. For example jeans with a lot of applications combined with a t-shirt with a dragon imprint, a stupid slogan, or a big Nike or Adidas imprint. That looks terrible. I don't think that lower class people copy Americans. They often don't have any fashion sense. They are also often not able to furnish their apartment properly. They often buy kitsch decorative objects, that doesn't fit together. Those apartments often look trashy.

I wouldn't say that Europeans copy Americans that much. Most exchange students are shocked how American teenagers are dressed. Sweat pants are by far not that common in Europe. Trainers are for sporting activities, but not for school or for leisure time. And Europeans don't wear so many clothing pices in loud colours.

At least Swedish, French, Italians, Danes, Swiss and the Dutch dress better than Germans.

Old 07-11-2015, 06:40 PM

379 posts, read 359,652 times
Quote:
Sweat pants are by far not that common in Europe. Trainers are for sporting activities, but not for school or for leisure time.
I'm not so sure about that. Training clothes as casual wear seem far more popular in Europe.

For example, nobody really dresses like this in the USA, but you see this look all over the place in UK, Germany, France, Netherlands, etc...

http://www.localfc.com.au/wp-content...lothing-55.jpg

Old 07-11-2015, 06:46 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,567,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian veteran View Post
Jeans are American, invented by an immigrant in California and much more importantly it was an American style that only reached into Europe after the US army liberated Europe. Everyone knows American workers wore jean and t-shirts as blue-collar wear long before they became cool and adopted by the rest of the world. Even as recently as the 1950's t-shirts were worn by American military men and wearing one signified you were in the military. It didn't come into Canada until the same period as the changing of the flag.
"The word jeans comes from a kind of material that was made in Europe. The material, called jean, was named after sailors from Genoa in Italy, because they wore clothes made from it. The word 'denim' probably came from the name of a French material, serge de Nimes: serge (a kind of material) from Nimes (a town in France)."

What Strauss did was to add rivets to them. America made jeans popular, no argument there, but they did not invent/create jeans.

Old 07-12-2015, 02:07 AM

1,071 posts, read 1,260,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arne Bjornson View Post
I'm not so sure about that. Training clothes as casual wear seem far more popular in Europe.

For example, nobody really dresses like this in the USA, but you see this look all over the place in UK, Germany, France, Netherlands, etc...

Dunno where you were in the Netherlands but this look is not common in our country at all. It was popular for a while in the late 80's and early 90's but only among kids/teens. You won't see an adult wearing that unless in some poor area (there are exceptions of course). It's kind of an unwritten rule to not wear a sweat pant when you go on the street. I often wear them at home for comfort, but will change when i go out.

Old 07-12-2015, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arne Bjornson View Post

Maybe true for the UK (btw it doesn't look that bad). Here in Germany, people would wear this, when they are doing some sport activities, but surely not for school, work or leisure time. Some youngsters wear sometimes sweat pants during school, but that are mostly less educated Hauptschüler.

It's true that they don't dress like that in the U.S. It's more like this, best in combination with the shoes. Starts at 2:20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k2nGbXHsK0

Almost no swatpants in Germany:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yuf-SHEog4

Old 07-12-2015, 05:21 AM

379 posts, read 359,652 times
Quote:
Maybe true for the UK (btw it doesn't look that bad). Here in Germany, people would wear this, when they are doing some sport activities, but surely not for school, work or leisure time. Some youngsters wear sometimes sweat pants during school, but that are mostly less educated Hauptschüler.

It's true that they don't dress like that in the U.S. It's more like this, best in combination with the shoes. Starts at 2:20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k2nGbXHsK0

Almost no swatpants in Germany:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yuf-SHEog4
Ah yes, "Jogger Pants" are huge here now. I am too old for those, so I forgot about them. They are actually supposed to be stylish versions of sweats. Often they are made of chino material. I thought they were based on trends in Europe though? I guess not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe