Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 01:28 AM

1,071 posts, read 1,260,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyAndRugby View Post
Same thing in Holland. You got a drs., mr. or ir., not a bachelor's degree. Sadly we have adopted some version of the US system.
Depends which sector you work in. In technical professions we have had the Ing. title for ages (which is technically a Bachelors) and is always been accepted, and wanted really by employers.
In other fields it's kinda new yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2015, 04:46 AM

788 posts, read 1,249,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cattledog69 View Post
Depends which sector you work in. In technical professions we have had the Ing. title for ages (which is technically a Bachelors) and is always been accepted, and wanted really by employers.
In other fields it's kinda new yes.

True, but I was thinking of a university bachelor. As I wrote in a later post.

Old 07-10-2015, 04:53 AM

Quote:
True, but I was thinking of a university bachelor. As I wrote in a later post.
ah, I see. Maybe it's because a Bachelor at University takes only three years to get? Normally a Bachelor at HBO takes 4 years, so maybe that's a bit more extensive program. 3 years seems a bit short imo....

Old 07-10-2015, 05:08 AM

1,141 posts, read 2,204,419 times
The other question is maybe there are more Europeans taking master's because the tuition is much lower to get these degrees? In the US, there are so many who have so much student debt as the university costs are so high.

Old 07-10-2015, 06:02 AM

I don't think it matters that much. Americans pay less taxes, and either way, people will find a way to do it. And the college fees in Holland are not that low either. Most students here drown in debt. It may be a little cheaper then the US, but still.
Got my Bachelors through my employer and that was like 10.000 in total over four years, but with a Masters it's a whole different story it seems. And still many Dutch have a master

https://www.tilburguniversity.edu/up...318%281%29.pdf

Old 07-10-2015, 01:21 PM

Quote:
ah, I see. Maybe it's because a Bachelor at University takes only three years to get? Normally a Bachelor at HBO takes 4 years, so maybe that's a bit more extensive program. 3 years seems a bit short imo....
That seems unlikely. A hbo bachelor only requires havo as a prerequisite. A univeristy bachelor requires vwo. Thus the entrance demands are higher, much higher, with a university bachelor.

Old 07-10-2015, 03:19 PM

579 posts, read 665,021 times
I want to hear about other countries (other than Austria, Italy, Netherlands, that is)...

Old 07-10-2015, 07:55 PM

Quote:
That seems unlikely. A hbo bachelor only requires havo as a prerequisite. A univeristy bachelor requires vwo. Thus the entrance demands are higher, much higher, with a university bachelor.
I don´t think so. You don´t go to University just to only get a Bachelors. You go to University to get a Masters degree. For that, you need VWO. If you drop out in three years, you still have a Bachelors, but that´s not the meaning of going to a University.
If you want to get a Bachelors degree, you go to a HBO, or a HTS, simple as that. And for that you need HAVO. There´s no such thing as a higher, or low rated Bachelor either. There´s no purpose in that.

Actually from this point of view I could understand if an employer has his doubts about a University gotten Bachelors. It means (to the employer) you didn´t finish what you started...

Old 07-11-2015, 02:27 AM

Quote:
I don´t think so. You don´t go to University just to only get a Bachelors. You go to University to get a Masters degree. For that, you need VWO.
Not entirely true. You need vwo to get into university, even for the bachelor's degree already. But that is the stupid thing about the change, the new system does not make sense. You go to university to complete a master's degree. If one only plans a bachelor's degree, hbo is a much better route.

Quote:
Actually from this point of view I could understand if an employer has his doubts about a University gotten Bachelors. It means (to the employer) you didn´t finish what you started...
Agreed.

Old 07-11-2015, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Not entirely true. You need vwo to get into university, even for the bachelor's degree already. But that is the stupid thing about the change, the new system does not make sense. You go to university to complete a master's degree. If one only plans a bachelor's degree, hbo is a much better route.

Agreed.
Yes exactly, that is the way to go imo too. I'm not really familiar with that new system, seems strange to me.
What I doubt the most is this;
The difference between a Bachelor and a Master was always, that the Bachelor school produces the pragmatic people, the managers on the work floor (middle management) and the Masters produced the more scientific people, with a more theoretical approach, the helicopter view (upper management) or the highly specialized experds, right? That is the way I was told in school.

Then what do you get if someone did a Bachelor education on a university? A person that has a scientific, or theoretical approach to things, but only on a middle management level? (were one needs to be pragmatic).
Or did they change the first three years of education in University to a more pragmatic system, to give someone a more "hands on" approach?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe