Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 11:09 AM

579 posts, read 665,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
So the question for the OP is *what is it that makes people in Quebec not willing to relocate* ?
Can you, OP, elaborate a bit more about that ?

Do you, OP, think that only Bavaria and Quebec are *insular* places ?
At what point, percentage or degree, do people stop being insular ?
Let's say that, for many, it's more or less a question of language; they may not be fluent in another language than French. Plus there is always that notion that Quebec culture is threatened on all sides.

However, there may be other locations that could be equally insular but that I do not know about. So I think not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2015, 12:53 PM

431 posts, read 450,026 times
Bavarians actually seem relatively friendly compared to northern germans
As others have mentioned, Bavaria has the best weather and economy in Germany, and is arguably the nicest landscape. If you're from there there's not much reason to leave. The economic success also may factor in to fewer immigrants to Munich from foreign countries and even within Germany. It's the most expensive area for relocation.

Old 07-25-2015, 05:51 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,861,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvanung View Post
Let's say that, for many, it's more or less a question of language; they may not be fluent in another language than French. Plus there is always that notion that Quebec culture is threatened on all sides.
OK, I was not aware that many people in Quebec, were single language only (French !)

So there is some phenomenon around Quebec which is
*threatening* to the way the people in and around Quebec live ?
That is sad.
Usually, when people try to make other people behave like them,
it is because they themselves feel threatened.

One thing I know for sure, is that the people from Bavaria
are Not At All Afraid of the *outside* trying to change them !!
Also unlike the people in Quebec (as you state) who may only speak one language.
the Bavarians do speak their own language (some do call it a dialect !!),
AND everyone can speak *normal* German ...
Maybe not the proper German, which is spoken around the Hannover area. ...

Old 07-25-2015, 06:58 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,381,748 times
I lived in the northeast corner of Bavaria about 4 decades ago while serving in the US Army. It was a rural, somewhat isolated part of upper Franconia region in the Rhön Mountains (small mountains averaging 800 to 1000 meters elevation). The closest city was Würzburg or Schweinfurt, each about an hour south. The former East German border was just 10 kilometers east.

I have returned to Germany many times over the last 4 decades and it feels almost like a second home to me.

I learned German to a comfortable level of conversation and reading. The majority in the part of Bavaria that I lived in were multi-generation "locals", but not all. At least 15 to 20 percent of the people I met were former residents of what was then East Germany, and many were post WW2 refugees and their families from what used to be Eastern Prussia or Silesia, which became an enclave of Russia (now Kaliningrad oblast) or the western part of present day Poland. So even rural parts of Bavaria are not really insular.

Cities in Bavaria are well populated with people from all over Germany, and many other lands, especially with the open borders of the EU era in the last 15 years. Bavaria has some of the most prosperous cities in Germany and a lot of economic activity driving employment. In the last 25 years of unified Germany, Bavaria attracted a large percentage of the people that left the new eastern states of Germany looking for better job opportunities. Many of the eastern states have lost 20+ percent of their young workforce to the more prosperous states of Germany like Bavaria, so the cities of Bavaria are certainly not insular.

Old 07-25-2015, 07:36 PM

431 posts, read 450,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
OK, I was not aware that many people in Quebec, were single language only (French !)

So there is some phenomenon around Quebec which is
*threatening* to the way the people in and around Quebec live ?
That is sad.
Usually, when people try to make other people behave like them,
it is because they themselves feel threatened.
The Quebecois come off as heavy handed and maybe there is a better way to achieve their aims, but they are probably right in that their culture and language would just disappear without their efforts. It's simply that the anglo Canadian culture dominates the rest of Canada and has wiped out French Canadian-ness pretty much everywhere else in the country.

Old 07-26-2015, 05:13 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,347,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
the Bavarians do speak their own language (some do call it a dialect !!),
AND everyone can speak *normal* German ...
Maybe not the proper German, which is spoken around the Hannover area. ...
Despite what Bavarian nationalists keep saying, Bavarian is indeed just a dialect.

Old 07-26-2015, 07:41 AM

24,595 posts, read 10,909,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Despite what Bavarian nationalists keep saying, Bavarian is indeed just a dialect.
But you have to understand it. Not only the primary meaning but also the underlying real one

Old 07-26-2015, 08:41 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,053,631 times
Some people in both Quebec and Bavaria may indeed be insular but I don't see the link between that and moving to other parts of their country.

First of all, Bavaria is not a good comparison because they speak the same language as the rest of Germany. That takes away a big factor right there. A better comparison would be the various language regions of Switzerland - do people move between them?

Or maybe Catalonia in Spain, but even so, Catalan speakers are only about 55% of the population in their region, and almost all of them also speak Spanish so no language barrier if they want to move to Madrid.

Regarding Quebec, the bottom line is it's almost like a self-contained small European country. If you are willing to move within Quebec you can basically find any type of job you want, from big city jobs to resource extraction jobs. It's big and diverse enough that you don't have to leave the province unless you really want to.

Still with insularity, well Quebec City has almost the lowest unemployment rate of Canada's larger cities, it is arguably the most beautiful city in the country, has an average climate for Canada, tons of culture and recreation, and is affordable and safe. Yet English Canadians don't move there. Does that make them insular?

Old 07-31-2015, 03:37 PM

1,222 posts, read 2,280,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
"Nothing special"? Surely you jest.
nope. Unless you're close to the Alps the scenery is very similar to areas in Thuringia, Hesse, Southern Lower Saxony, North-Rhine-Westphalia, ... you name it. It still is pretty but definitely not unique.
I don't understand why people always dismiss other areas of Germany in favor of Bavaria. Even the plains in the North without many rolling hills or mountains are still very pretty. Germany is a very diverse country considering its small size. Every region has its own charm.

Old 08-01-2015, 08:10 AM

24,595 posts, read 10,909,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Some people in both Quebec and Bavaria may indeed be insular but I don't see the link between that and moving to other parts of their country.

First of all, Bavaria is not a good comparison because they speak the same language as the rest of Germany. That takes away a big factor right there. A better comparison would be the various language regions of Switzerland - do people move between them?

Or maybe Catalonia in Spain, but even so, Catalan speakers are only about 55% of the population in their region, and almost all of them also speak Spanish so no language barrier if they want to move to Madrid.

Regarding Quebec, the bottom line is it's almost like a self-contained small European country. If you are willing to move within Quebec you can basically find any type of job you want, from big city jobs to resource extraction jobs. It's big and diverse enough that you don't have to leave the province unless you really want to.

Still with insularity, well Quebec City has almost the lowest unemployment rate of Canada's larger cities, it is arguably the most beautiful city in the country, has an average climate for Canada, tons of culture and recreation, and is affordable and safe. Yet English Canadians don't move there. Does that make them insular?
We speak the same language. Let me try to translate a famous pun. God stands on the bridge crossing river Lech between Bavaria and Swabia. He turned to Swabia and spoke "es sei". He turned to Bavaria and spoke "es werde". Subtle way to use benediction to call someone a pig
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe