Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 05:46 PM

579 posts, read 665,130 times

Advertisements

I always keep hearing about how insular people in Bavaria were, and that Bavaria was the closest comparable to Quebec as far as insularity (e.g. unwillingness to relocate outside the region) is concerned.

But what grounding does that claim have?

If it has any grounding, what would have caused it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2015, 08:37 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,861,767 times
Huh ... ?

Insular ?

In what perspective are you using that word for Bavaria and its people.

Insular =
relating to, or resembling an island
remote, detached, or aloof
illiberal or narrow-minded
isolated or separated

In a sense they are somewhat of a proud people, after all they used to be separate from Germany, and many places still adhere to the notion *Freistaat Bayern*. (The Free State of Bavaria).

Old 07-22-2015, 07:39 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,348,051 times
Bavaria isn't insular. It's one of the least insular parts of Germany.

Does it have its own identity? Yes. It was its own country, and still looks and feels different from the rest of Germany. But it isn't insular.

Old 07-22-2015, 08:47 AM

24,590 posts, read 10,896,457 times
Insular?
It is not our fault that the rest of them do not speak our dialect, is it?

If you have everything from education to employment to recreation within reach - why move?

Old 07-22-2015, 10:49 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Insular?
It is not our fault that the rest of them do not speak our dialect, is it?

If you have everything from education to employment to recreation within reach - why move?
Not to mention all that gorgeous scenery. Where in Germany is there to move to that could compete with that?

Old 07-23-2015, 01:14 PM

24,590 posts, read 10,896,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Not to mention all that gorgeous scenery. Where in Germany is there to move to that could compete with that?
There are other very interesting and charming regions but none with such a history of independence and survival.
Do some posters here understand that the concept of "Germany" is a rather recent thing?

Old 07-23-2015, 02:01 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,538,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
There are other very interesting and charming regions but none with such a history of independence and survival.
Do some posters here understand that the concept of "Germany" is a rather recent thing?
Yes.

Also, my understanding is that Bavaria and other southern states, probably like Baden Wurttemberg, are the economic powerhouses of the country. You'd be least likely to leave these parts of Germany anyways because of them having the best employment prospects.

Old 07-23-2015, 02:35 PM

1,222 posts, read 2,280,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Not everyone is into mountains, which represent just a small part of Bavaria anyway. Much of Bavaria looks just like many other parts of Germany. Nothing special about that. Doesn't mean it's not pretty, but it's not unique either. I am probably the odd man out but I love the coastal regions of Germany and would much prefer to live there than in the South.

Old 07-23-2015, 07:37 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob702 View Post
Not everyone is into mountains, which represent just a small part of Bavaria anyway. Much of Bavaria looks just like many other parts of Germany. Nothing special about that. Doesn't mean it's not pretty, but it's not unique either. I am probably the odd man out but I love the coastal regions of Germany and would much prefer to live there than in the South.
"Nothing special"? Surely you jest.

Old 07-25-2015, 08:27 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,861,767 times
Sticking with the original question of the OP (Yvanung),
((e.g. unwillingness to relocate outside the region)),
do people in Quebec really stick around for a long time ?

I know that in a lot of areas anywhere I have lived,
and I have lived and worked, in many areas,
a lot of people hang around all their lives in the same neighborhood.

So, in my case, why did I not stick around in one area ?
The job I had caused many moves and so our kids
never established a place which they might have established as *home*.

Whatever it is, that *makes* people *not* want to relocate, could be several things.
Some posters mentioned *why do you want to relocate,
if you have so much nice scenery around you ?*

I lived and worked in Bavaria for 8 years, and not as a USA Armed Forces brat !!
I did see many young people leave for other areas, because of the job offers they received.
The others I got to know very well were farmers, and I am sure that as a farmer,
you *will* stick around for a long time, and then only one son or daughter will take over the farm.
The rest of the brood will leave for other places, and as long as they can get a job nearby,
they will stick around, mainly because of family relations.

Case in point.
When we finally settled down back in the USA, our kids could not wait
to *get out* as soon as they could, and they did, right after they finished college !!
Well, after a few years *on their own*, anywhere else but near us,
they have slow but sure come back and all of them but one, do live within 20 minutes from us !
I think, again because of family relations.
Some families still feel that the family ties are an important factor in living your life.

So the question for the OP is *what is it that makes people in Quebec not willing to relocate* ?
Can you, OP, elaborate a bit more about that ?
Do you, OP, think that only Bavaria and Quebec are *insular* places ?
At what point, percentage or degree, do people stop being insular ?

Do you, OP, know of a place that is absolutely *not* insular ?
And if so, what makes that place *not* insular ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe