Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who does it best?
London 9 28.13%
Paris 0 0%
Barcelona 5 15.63%
Madrid 6 18.75%
Ibiza 3 9.38%
Rome 1 3.13%
Stockholm 1 3.13%
Copenhagen 0 0%
Berlin 3 9.38%
Amsterdam 0 0%
Prague 0 0%
Budapest 0 0%
Lisbon 0 0%
Moscow 1 3.13%
Krakow 0 0%
Other (Post It) 3 9.38%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 03:26 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,032,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noggin of Rum View Post
It probably doesn't fit in with his definition of "nightlife" as jumping up and down like a lunatic to douchey music going "woo!" in a mouldy room full of pimply dropouts and losers, then going out and "getting plastered".
He could do that in London if he wanted to though! :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2015, 06:13 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,594,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Such as?
I remember one of Prince Harry's ex-girlfriends comparing the nightlife in London and Leeds (where she studied at university). She remarked that people in London never really let go and have fun - they just ponce around a table, which does seem rather fitting with some of Londoner's stuffier West End denizens. There is a noticeable difference between the nightlife in central London and most other cities in the country - central London is very expensive and attracts are maturer crowd with money to blow. Other cities have a huge surplus of 18-24 year olds looking for cheap drinks, with the ultimate end-goal being getting drunk for the sake of it.

London's nightlife doesn't really have a good reputation in the UK as far as I'm aware, and having experienced nightlife in a number of UK cities, I wouldn't rank it as my favourite - depends entirely on what you want. I'm 28 this month and my days of getting p*ssed are largely behind me now - but I'd still rather have a night out in Leeds than London regardless of my intentions.

Quote:
It probably doesn't fit in with his definition of "nightlife" as jumping up and down like a lunatic to douchey music going "woo!" in a mouldy room full of pimply dropouts and losers, then going out and "getting plastered".
This sounds like me when I was 19, except I wasn't a pimply dropout. It's just what you did when you were young - and what my parents did - and there's no denying that I had a lot of fun. Those memories that I have clubbing and raving in varies UK cities are very valuable to me, and mark a time of my life when I had few responsibilities and my sole intention was having as much fun as I could have.

You miss it a lot when you're working 9-5 and going to sleep at 10pm on a Friday night is acceptable - but we all grow up eventually.

Old 08-07-2015, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I remember one of Prince Harry's ex-girlfriends comparing the nightlife in London and Leeds (where she studied at university). She remarked that people in London never really let go and have fun - they just ponce around a table, which does seem rather fitting with some of Londoner's stuffier West End denizens. There is a noticeable difference between the nightlife in central London and most other cities in the country - central London is very expensive and attracts are maturer crowd with money to blow. Other cities have a huge surplus of 18-24 year olds looking for cheap drinks, with the ultimate end-goal being getting drunk for the sake of it.

London's nightlife doesn't really have a good reputation in the UK as far as I'm aware, and having experienced nightlife in a number of UK cities, I wouldn't rank it as my favourite - depends entirely on what you want. I'm 28 this month and my days of getting p*ssed are largely behind me now - but I'd still rather have a night out in Leeds than London regardless of my intentions.

This sounds like me when I was 19, except I wasn't a pimply dropout. It's just what you did when you were young - and what my parents did - and there's no denying that I had a lot of fun. Those memories that I have clubbing and raving in varies UK cities are very valuable to me, and mark a time of my life when I had few responsibilities and my sole intention was having as much fun as I could have.

You miss it a lot when you're working 9-5 and going to sleep at 10pm on a Friday night is acceptable - but we all grow up eventually.
There are thousands of clubs, pubs, bars, theatres and god knows what else in London, whatever kind of 'nightlife' there is it is available there. I am way past clubbing but from memory Kavos in Greece was pretty bloody lively and as for back home personally as a yoof I frequented the clubs in the suburbs -Croydon, Streatham, Beckenham etc and the surrounding towns Crawley, East Grinstead and the occasional trips to Brighton (some clubs where better than others), does anybody on here remember Langtrys in Beckenham? Awful place but somehow alluring to an 18 year old guy and his friends! :-)

Old 08-07-2015, 04:08 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,429,823 times
Quote:
Wow, you certainly like to make assumptions. What did I post that indicated that's the kind of nightlife I prefer? I'm really curious....

Old 08-08-2015, 03:18 AM

4,709 posts, read 5,066,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
London's nightlife doesn't really have a good reputation in the UK as far as I'm aware, and having experienced nightlife in a number of UK cities,
Liverpool has the reputation of being the party city. It is full of hen parties and stag nights at the weekends from people all over the UK, even abroad. At the weekends all the hotels, and there are lots of them, are about full. I go there occasionally, and was there last weekend, and can testify to how vibrant the place is at weekends. It bounces. The city leaves London behind.

The city council encourage it.
http://www.anightinliverpool.com

Last edited by John-UK; 08-08-2015 at 03:47 AM..

Old 08-08-2015, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
Liverpool has the reputation of being the party city. It is full of hen parties and stag nights at the weekends from people all over the UK, even abroad. At the weekends all the hotels, and there are lots of them, are about full. I go there occasionally, and was there last weekend, and can testify to how vibrant the place is at weekends. It bounces. The city leaves London behind.

The city council encourage it.
a Night in Liverpool - Clubbing Events, Nightlife Guide, Nightclubs
I'm sure Liverpool is a great 'party town' but I'm curious to know in what way exactly it 'leaves London behind'? Tell me exactly what kind of nightlife Liverpool has that London doesn't? Or Brighton, or Blackpool?

Old 08-08-2015, 08:01 AM

Quote:
I'm sure Liverpool is a great 'party town' but I'm curious to know in what way exactly it 'leaves London behind'? Tell me exactly what kind of nightlife Liverpool has that London doesn't? Or Brighton, or Blackpool?
The place is compact and very vibrant. I have never been all around the city centre at weekends, just a few places here and there. But it buzzes. It is also not rip-off London prices. There are a few areas of the centre that are packed with bars: Ropewalks, Mathew St (the Cavern, etc), Albert Dock and around the Philharmonic Hall, I think it is Hope Street/Hardman St.

The place is full of bars and pubs, restaurants, clubs, etc. No other British provincial city touches Liverpool. London lacks a lot and you need deep pockets to have a good time there.

Old 08-08-2015, 09:48 AM

Quote:
The place is compact and very vibrant. I have never been all around the city centre at weekends, just a few places here and there. But it buzzes. It is also not rip-off London prices. There are a few areas of the centre that are packed with bars: Ropewalks, Mathew St (the Cavern, etc), Albert Dock and around the Philharmonic Hall, I think it is Hope Street/Hardman St.

The place is full of bars and pubs, restaurants, clubs, etc. No other British provincial city touches Liverpool. London lacks a lot and you need deep pockets to have a good time there.
I can't see anything mentioned there that makes Liverpool any different from any other UK city including London! Incidentally London does not mean that everything is identically priced! If you go to Stringfellows then yes you'll pay through the nose but there are thousands of other places, you say 'London lacks A LOT' but fail to mention what it lacks exactly?? Care to elaborate?

Old 08-08-2015, 10:11 AM

Quote:
I can't see anything mentioned there that makes Liverpool any different from any other UK city including London! Incidentally London does not mean that everything is identically priced! If you go to Stringfellows then yes you'll pay through the nose but there are thousands of other places, you say 'London lacks A LOT' but fail to mention what it lacks exactly?? Care to elaborate?
Liverpool is far better than the rest. It has not got the reputation for nothing. They flock there from all over. Stringfellows is full of whores. I have been there. A most unpleasant place. The West End is lame. I live near to the West End. Guys near men go to Liverpool in groups for weekend out and come back delighted. They ignore the West End on their doorstep. El rip-off.

Old 08-09-2015, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Liverpool is far better than the rest. It has not got the reputation for nothing. They flock there from all over. Stringfellows is full of whores. I have been there. A most unpleasant place. The West End is lame. I live near to the West End. Guys near men go to Liverpool in groups for weekend out and come back delighted. They ignore the West End on their doorstep. El rip-off.
You still fail to tell us why Liverpool is 'far better than the rest'? What EXACTLY does Liverpool have that say Manchester doesn't? You can't just make radical claims like that without having anything to back it up with? You call the West End 'lame' yet it attracts thousands of people from all over the globe every evening of the year do Liverpool clubs do the same?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe