Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 12:58 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,861,767 times

Advertisements

Using your USA smartphone in Paris as a GPS.

You need a GPS programme which does NOT rely on data but solely uses the Satellite system.
Go here and check it out.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...avigator&hl=en

Pay for it, about 8 bucks, I think.
Download the maps you need.
(at home in the USA !!)
Turn off voice directions.
For Paris, you need to download *France North*

Now use it !!
e.g.
When you get out of your hotel or whatever, locate yourself on the APP.
Then when you get ready to come *home*, let that APP tell you how.
You can do the same in the USA when you park your car in a huge parking lot !
Find your car back !!

Use it as a regular GPS thingy. As good as a high end Garmin !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2015, 01:03 PM

8,867 posts, read 8,452,657 times
^Or the OP can just buy a prepaid SIM card in France.

Old 08-04-2015, 01:11 PM

6,825 posts, read 9,064,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
^Or the OP can just buy a prepaid SIM card in France.
I'm looking into that but I'm getting conflicting information. I am trying to find out if I can unlock the phone before I go. I have Verizon Samsung Galaxy S5 in year one of a two year contract. When I went to the Verizon store they wouldn't even talk to me. They gave me the number of their international department which is probably going to try to convince me to pay $25 for 100MB of data to use my phone in France.

I like the idea of paying for maps before I go. I'll look into that.

Old 08-04-2015, 01:48 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,430,240 times
Quote:
Paris metro system is horrid but it is pretty extensive. Google map and a Paris city map with metro stops on it would be enough.
Why do you think it's horrid? It's regularly ranked as one of the best in the world

Old 08-04-2015, 01:55 PM

545 posts, read 866,887 times
There are plenty of app offering city maps for free, you don't need to pay. Do a quick search in the android store.
If you buy data from Verizon, you can download the RATP app. You can use it to find the quickest way to go from one place to another using public transports. As a tourist, I would advise you to take the bus instead of the metro. Cleaner, same price, just a bit slower and you get nice views of the city.
But you can enjoy almost all tourists attraction here without using any public transports. Walk from one to another and you'll see plenty of hidden gems which aren't in tourists books.
Just remember to keep your important stuff hidden, we have some troubles with pickpockets in the most touristic places.

Unlock Verizon Phones: No Skills Required - Unlock.my

Old 08-04-2015, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanRam View Post
Why do you think it's horrid? It's regularly ranked as one of the best in the world
Really? Ok.

I think it stinks, transferring among lines is a major pain in the ass(Chatelet-les-Halles, for example, is hell. I was just there like 3 hours ago and gurl it was terrible), the pickpockets are scary, the image of all those beggars is unpleasant, the signs and directions are confusing, and the trains have no AC.

But for a system of its age, I guess it's good enough, and it is indeed really extensive.

Old 08-04-2015, 02:21 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,348,051 times
Quote:
Really? Ok.

I think it stinks, transferring among lines is a major pain in the ass(Chatelet-les-Halles, for example, is hell. I was just there like 3 hours ago and gurl it was terrible), the pickpockets are scary, the image of all those beggars is unpleasant, the signs and directions are confusing, and the trains have no AC.

But for a system of its age, I guess it's good enough, and it is indeed really extensive.
The Paris system is old, rundown and dirty, but that's true of all the great subway systems in world cities. Paris, NYC, London were rich and important 100 years ago, so built subways a long time ago. A new subway system just means a city was poor or small potatoes until very recently.

But the Paris system (while, yes, old, rundown, dirty) is also the densest metro system on earth, and covers the entirety of the city and inner suburbs. Along with RER, the system is (almost) unmatched.

Old 08-04-2015, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
The Paris system is old, rundown and dirty, but that's true of all the great subway systems in world cities. Paris, NYC, London were rich and important 100 years ago, so built subways a long time ago. A new subway system just means a city was poor or small potatoes until very recently.
Being old is just an excuse. It's not like the trains running today are actually 100 years old.
Besides, Tokyo's metro system is only 20-30 years younger yet it's much better kept than the one in Paris, and way more extensive, due to the gigantic size of the city.

Quote:
But the Paris system (while, yes, old, rundown, dirty) is also the densest metro system on earth, and covers the entirety of the city and inner suburbs. Along with RER, the system is (almost) unmatched.
I didn't disagree with this. I agree that it's really extensive and overall convenient.

Old 08-04-2015, 03:04 PM

16,674 posts, read 17,442,775 times
A fair bit of Paris can be covered by foot so long as you're reasonably fit.

Old 08-04-2015, 03:19 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,732,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post

Agree. It is only matched by Tokyo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe