Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 05:54 PM

545 posts, read 866,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Really? Ok.

I think it stinks, transferring among lines is a major pain in the ass(Chatelet-les-Halles, for example, is hell. I was just there like 3 hours ago and gurl it was terrible), the pickpockets are scary, the image of all those beggars is unpleasant, the signs and directions are confusing, and the trains have no AC.

But for a system of its age, I guess it's good enough, and it is indeed really extensive.
True. But incredible cheap in comparison to London, NYC or Tokyo. For 70 euros per month you have access to ALL the RER, metro, bus, trams and plenty of transilliens. Which mean everywhere in Paris and its suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2015, 06:52 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,348,051 times
Quote:
Being old is just an excuse. It's not like the trains running today are actually 100 years old.
Besides, Tokyo's metro system is only 20-30 years younger yet it's much better kept than the one in Paris, and way more extensive, due to the gigantic size of the city.
The Paris Metro is generally around 50-70 years older than Tokyo Metro. Most of Tokyo Metro dates from the 1960's through 1980's.

And Tokyo Metro is hardly attractive. It's probably the ugliest system in Asia. Looks horrible compared to the new systems in China, HK and Singapore. But it's also probably the best system in the world.

Old 08-04-2015, 06:54 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,348,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JedlaRoche View Post
True. But incredible cheap in comparison to London, NYC or Tokyo. For 70 euros per month you have access to ALL the RER, metro, bus, trams and plenty of transilliens. Which mean everywhere in Paris and its suburbs.
London's system is very expensive, but NYC's system costs about the same as in Paris. Tokyo, I have no idea.

Old 08-04-2015, 08:32 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,429,823 times
Quote:
Really? Ok.

I think it stinks, transferring among lines is a major pain in the ass(Chatelet-les-Halles, for example, is hell. I was just there like 3 hours ago and gurl it was terrible), the pickpockets are scary, the image of all those beggars is unpleasant, the signs and directions are confusing, and the trains have no AC.

But for a system of its age, I guess it's good enough, and it is indeed really extensive.
It sounds like you're easily rattled. Maybe you should avoid city life?

Old 08-05-2015, 01:55 AM

8,867 posts, read 8,452,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanRam View Post
Is it really that difficult to handle criticism from a foreign passenger?

Besides, it's not like I'm telling the OP not to take the metro. Calm your **** s'il vous plait.

Old 08-05-2015, 01:57 AM
F18

542 posts, read 529,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanRam View Post
No, what he said is true. It is worst if you have to commute every day in it. That being said, it is efficent and quick. But the bus is better (and not only in Paris IMO).

Old 08-05-2015, 04:12 AM

181 posts, read 232,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
Any suggestions for not getting lost in Paris?
The best thing about Paris is PRECISELY to get lost!

Just wander aimlessly, at the end of your day there'll always be a Métro or RER station to get you back to your hotel. Do not hesitate to walk to distant areas, instead of just staying in the city center as most tourists do. Walking to distant areas will allow you to discover things you would not suspect, and to get away from the tourist crowds and immerse yourself in the real life of the 12 million Greater Parisians.

Old 08-05-2015, 04:19 AM

181 posts, read 232,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JedlaRoche View Post
As a tourist, I would advise you to take the bus instead of the metro. Cleaner, same price, just a bit slower and you get nice views of the city.
Most buses in Paris do not have AC, have super small window openings, so it gets very hot inside in Summer. I would absolutely not recommend taking the bus in Summer.

Besides, Parisian buses have ridiculously little seating and little space inside (for some reason the city refuses to buy double-decker buses like in London), so they are often very crowded, and finding a seat is next to impossible.

Old 08-05-2015, 12:06 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,861,767 times
To the OP !!

Regardless of all the other OFF topic messages
(which have absolutely nothing to do with *your* question)
even with comparing the Paris Metro system and other public transportation systems,
good or bad, clean or not, old or whatever ... ,
it still is a good way to get around for a couple of days or however long you will be there.

I have no idea what your other plans are,
but if you do want to see more of the immediate surroundings of Paris,
then yes, use the public transportation system
Yes you can walk, but only so far.

Get used to what Europe is like.
After all it is way older than wherever you come from so do not expect the *same* conveniences.

If you insist on getting that *laminated* map from Amazon, do that.
It is your choice. I have found that in Paris, you can get maps the size of a pocket book.
Falk is a brand which, in my opinion, has the best maps in Europe.
They fold a certain way and after you get used to it, rather ingenious !!
Or ..., again download a metro map of Paris.

Metro usage, really easy.
In the station find the map on the wall,
find the place where you want to go to,
push that button and the map will show you how to get there.
Just remember where to change !!

LBNL, a French phrase book ?
Use your phone and get a free APP !!
Poke the link into your home computer, read the ratings and the comments,
and then decide which one you would like to use.
I have no suggestions because I do speak French ...

Yes, beware of beggars and pick-pockets !!

Old 08-05-2015, 01:02 PM

6,825 posts, read 9,064,782 times
Thanks again for the suggestions. I never expected that my question would generate so much discussion! I appreciate the comments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe