Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2015, 01:53 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,348,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I grew up being taught that European cultural imperialism and colonization was a bad thing no matter what country or region it happened in.

Now I am supposed to see something similar happening in Europe and that is different somehow?
Because people are too politically correct.

ISIS in Denmark = need for "cultural understanding" and must only be there because of "white imperialism"

But Europe or the U.S. involved in Middle East = evil, horrible crusaders trying to save the lives of ethnic and religious minorities
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2015, 03:12 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,514,859 times
Quote:
I grew up being taught that European cultural imperialism and colonization was a bad thing no matter what country or region it happened in.

Now I am supposed to see something similar happening in Europe and that is different somehow?
immigration is colonization? Has the US been colonized by Latin Americans and Asians recently?

Last edited by nei; 09-18-2015 at 06:45 PM..

Old 09-18-2015, 07:33 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,369,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
immigration is colonization? Has the US been colonized by Latin Americans and Asians recently?
No. Immigration is not colonization. If you refer to my response (way back in post#140) to the last person who could not interpret my simple English sentences, my sentiment may become more clear.

Quote:
Yes, I know what imperialism and colonization mean. That is why I used the words 'something similar' instead of claiming that this current migration is colonization or imperialism. At least by the strict definition of the terms.
If that doesn't help, I can try an ESL explanation.

Old 09-18-2015, 08:51 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,514,859 times
Quote:
No. Immigration is not colonization. If you refer to my response (way back in post#140) to the last person who could not interpret my simple English sentences, my sentiment may become more clear.
Yes, I read it. I'm not following the similarity. Why not call immigration immigration instead of similar to colonization?

Perhaps the person could interpret quite well; they just disagreed with the word choice and don't see the similarity.

Quote:
If that doesn't help, I can try an ESL explanation.
What's with your hostility?

Old 09-18-2015, 11:56 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,369,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Yes, I read it. I'm not following the similarity. Why not call immigration immigration instead of similar to colonization?

Perhaps the person could interpret quite well; they just disagreed with the word choice and don't see the similarity.

What's with your hostility?
I apologize for my condescending tone. I was frustrated at having been accused twice in the space of three of four posts of having described the recent wave of refugees and immigrants as colonizers when I explicitly referred to them as merely 'something similar'; a position one is fully in their right to disagree with, but not in the right to manipulate my words to change the meaning of my statement.

I maintain that there is a similarity between the recent and current refugee and immigrant groups in Europe and colonists. Both groups bring their cultural value systems to their host countries and implement them while rejecting any significant form of cultural compromise. The host country's culture and people are seen by a significant number of the immigrants as decadent, immoral, and inferior. Rather than assimilate or adapt, there is pressure to have the host country accomodate the values of the immigrant's culture.

Old 09-19-2015, 04:19 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,296,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I don't think one can make such general statements. Parts of the US are closer to Britain, others are more similar to Spain, others to Germany or France. Same for Canada, some parts are more British, others more French.
I agree with that. Also, being French I feel more at home in the US than in England. England has a very peculiar culture.

The US culture is a product of many European cultures, mainly Angl-saxon but not only, and has had influences from other nations ever since it began.

I don't think you can set super tight boundaries between what is part of one culture and what is part of another, especially in 2015.

I live in Italy, I grew up in France, I listen to a lot of Anglo-saxon music, I love eating Greek and Ethiopian food, I have friends from Africa and Asia, given the chance I enjoy seeing movies from unusual countries, I have already read Latin American litterature, I am interested in the Balkans, etc...

How is my culture supposed to be purely something and not another thing ?

That's why I say integration is possible. Everyone is influenced all the time. If people spend years in a country where they feel they can have a nice life and where they are welcomed, they will end up feel most aspects of this country are nice, even if they come from a culture that's supposed to be vastly different.

Old 09-19-2015, 11:04 AM

119 posts, read 207,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
Because its like watching a friend slow kill himself with drugs and alcohol.

You do a raise a good point though, we probably shouldn't care. Truthfully many Europeans either secretly or openly despise us much to the obliviousness of many Americans. They tolerate us because we are powerful but they don't really like us or our culture. We tend to be very positive toward them but it simply isn't replicated back at us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytmr2aU5HNY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9HQJ9hKZQk
" We tend to be very positive toward them, but it simply isn't replicated back to us"

Gee, I wonder why? Let's see. The US puts missiles in places like Poland, and makes us targets. The US is always trying to tell others how they should run their governments. Naw, no point in going on unending. You would never get it, because you are one of those examples why Europeans do not look kindly upon you!

Old 09-19-2015, 11:16 AM

119 posts, read 207,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
Because its like watching a friend slow kill himself with drugs and alcohol.

You do a raise a good point though, we probably shouldn't care. Truthfully many Europeans either secretly or openly despise us much to the obliviousness of many Americans. They tolerate us because we are powerful but they don't really like us or our culture. We tend to be very positive toward them but it simply isn't replicated back at us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytmr2aU5HNY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9HQJ9hKZQk
" We tend to be very positive toward them, but it simply isn't replicated back to us"

Gee, I wonder why? Let's see. Naw, no point in going on endlessly. You would never get it, because you are one of those examples why Europeans do not look kindly upon you! But then of course you show two video, and do not bother to pay attention to what was actually said ( that is something I really dislike about Americans ) And yes they ARE superficial! Americans always ask " how are you?" do they really mean it, no. They simply expect you to say "fine, and you?" They also expect everyone to get down and worship them, because they are AMERICAN and there would be no Europe if it weren't for AMERICA! People do get tired of hearing that. The war has been over for seventy years! ---- and no Americans did not win it single handed.

I am an American/German when I am in Germany I make a point of never letting other Americans know I am half American. I simply do not want to be embarassed by their stupidity! I find them to usually be an embarrassment. They always complain, complain, complain. " the service here is so slow!" "Why do they allow dogs in restaurants?" "Why can't they speak English?" "but I was only five minutes late!" "Germans are too serious! You obviously have no clue why we are not fond of you, do you?

Old 09-19-2015, 12:21 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,277,465 times
All living beings, immigrant or native, want the same: food, shelter, water, oxygen, some type of body covering, and comfort from another. An immigrant with family who is welcomed with open arms, is more likely to integrate than someone who is not. It is normal to be afraid in a strange land.

Yes, immigrants go to large cities. It is where one is most likely find ex-Pats from ______ (Enter a country nam), jobs, and conveniences such as more than one grocery store and more than one doctor. It is also possible to find some or all of your native food and/or restaurants that serve it. The chance of finding theses simple things in rural America is far more difficult and unlikely.

Old 09-19-2015, 02:19 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,510,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny48 View Post

Gee, I wonder why? Let's see. The US puts missiles in places like Poland, and makes us targets. The US is always trying to tell others how they should run their governments. Naw, no point in going on unending. You would never get it, because you are one of those examples why Europeans do not look kindly upon you!
A lot of people have trouble telling a part governments/military from everyday citizens it seems but i'm sure most Europeans are open minded and look at people for who they are and don't put any sort of emphasis on their nationality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe