Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2015, 12:24 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,206,193 times

Advertisements

(I haven't participated yet on this approx 16-page thread, so I'm going to the OP original question).

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I want to know why white Americans are so concerned about Europe's demographic future when so many, if not most, of these posters' families are all in the US and have been here for at least 3 generations? I'm 2nd generation American on my mother's side, know the majority of my German relatives, yet I don't really concern myself with how Germany is handling its Muslim demographic seems like that's mostly the concern of some Europeans themselves, and Americans of European ancestry (whose ancestors came in the 1800s)
My guess is that white Americans feel that the U.S. is supposed to be an immigrant nation; and that other countries in Europe, Asia, etc. are NOT immigrant countries?

Also, for a white American person to emigrate to Europe, it seems completely impossible and hopeless (and I hear many Europeans say the same thing about any thought they might have of emigrating to the U.S.)

So, I think it's always a bit baffling to white Americans/white Europeans when it APPEARS somehow much easier to other people of other nationalities to emigrate.

Maybe they are projecting their own frustrations, 'Why can he do it, but I can't?' kind of thing? I don't know, but that would be my guess...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2015, 04:27 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,294,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
All living beings, immigrant or native, want the same: food, shelter, water, oxygen, some type of body covering, and comfort from another. An immigrant with family who is welcomed with open arms, is more likely to integrate than someone who is not. It is normal to be afraid in a strange land.

Yes, immigrants go to large cities. It is where one is most likely find ex-Pats from ______ (Enter a country nam), jobs, and conveniences such as more than one grocery store and more than one doctor. It is also possible to find some or all of your native food and/or restaurants that serve it. The chance of finding theses simple things in rural America is far more difficult and unlikely.
good to see a post like this.

Also, I have several American friends. It's not super easy to stay in Europe in the long term, but some can do it. If you want it, you can do it.

It is true that many people do not have a very good image of the US government over here, but then again, Americans who spend a lot of time in Europe do not either usually.

It is ridiculous to dismiss one person for their nationality. Nobody chose where they were born. It's like saying I won't talk to blonde people. As a French, I feel close to the Americans because I also come from a country that likes to think it can tell the rest of the world what it should do, yet it has no clue. In the end there always more similarities than differences.

Old 09-20-2015, 08:02 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,411,909 times
Same reason why a Puerto Rican or Cuban would defend and care so much about the immigration travails and problems affecting, say, Mexicans or Hondurans? Despite having even less ethnic or DNA ties between them than the average white American to Europe?

Old 09-21-2015, 01:09 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,649,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny48 View Post
" We tend to be very positive toward them, but it simply isn't replicated back to us"

Gee, I wonder why? Let's see. Naw, no point in going on endlessly. You would never get it, because you are one of those examples why Europeans do not look kindly upon you! But then of course you show two video, and do not bother to pay attention to what was actually said ( that is something I really dislike about Americans ) And yes they ARE superficial! Americans always ask " how are you?" do they really mean it, no. They simply expect you to say "fine, and you?" They also expect everyone to get down and worship them, because they are AMERICAN and there would be no Europe if it weren't for AMERICA! People do get tired of hearing that. The war has been over for seventy years! ---- and no Americans did not win it single handed.

I am an American/German when I am in Germany I make a point of never letting other Americans know I am half American. I simply do not want to be embarassed by their stupidity! I find them to usually be an embarrassment. They always complain, complain, complain. " the service here is so slow!" "Why do they allow dogs in restaurants?" "Why can't they speak English?" "but I was only five minutes late!" "Germans are too serious! You obviously have no clue why we are not fond of you, do you?
I'm an American living in Belgium. The Belgians, French and Dutch seem nice enough. I don't make a big deal out of being American and they treat me more or less decently. The Brits seem to particularly like us, and the feeling is mutual. England feels closer to the U.S. than Europe to me. I did seem to get s frosty reception in Germany though. Most Germans were ok, but some did seem to stiffen up as soon as they heard my accent. Oh well. You can't please everybody.

Old 09-21-2015, 03:59 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,273,634 times
Ya know what, WestCobb, most Americans I know, including myself, are Heinz 57, too, just like you. Other than Native American, and Hawaiian natives, it would be very difficult to find any pure-blood American today. My ancestors were Dutch, Scot, French and English settlers who came to the colonies in the early 1600s from London and Amsterdam, and via Canada. They came early and stayed late. They, or a descendant, fought in every war beginning with the RW to today. My cousin, a US Navy Pilot, retired after many years of service and 3 tours in the Middle East.

Old 09-22-2015, 05:07 AM

59 posts, read 58,875 times
There's no "European nation", so the opinion of many Americans sounds very strange.

There might be a Francophone World, a Hispanic World, A German Speaking World, a Portuguese World, the Commonwealth, the EU.......but no "European Nation".

If Hungary is invaded by Syrians, nobody would care if it weren't by the fact that those people are bound to end in Western Europe.

If some French politicians or some Europarlamentary declares that Hungarians and Romanians are thiefs and rapists and should be expelled beyond the confines of Europe, nobody would care except those countries.

The Greek crisis is a source of worries because Greece is in the monetary union, if not nobody would care.

So, what are they talking about?

Those are immigrants, not colonizers. Colonizers were the Huns that founded Hungria.

Old 09-22-2015, 09:48 PM

2,768 posts, read 1,584,414 times
Quote:
I want to know why white Americans are so concerned about Europe's demographic future when so many, if not most, of these posters' families are all in the US and have been here for at least 3 generations? I'm 2nd generation American on my mother's side, know the majority of my German relatives, yet I don't really concern myself with how Germany is handling its Muslim demographic seems like that's mostly the concern of some Europeans themselves, and Americans of European ancestry (whose ancestors came in the 1800s)
Really? You really don't understand the concern?

I don't care what color or religion people are. I DO care about Western notions of liberal democracy and human rights.

Europeans are not having children. Muslim immigrants are having children.

What do you think will be the result of that trend, eventually?

Europeans are relatively tolerant. Many Muslim immigrants are relatively intolerant. Yes, I know that most Muslims are not a problem, but, those non-problematic Muslims are not driving any agenda. The intolerant Muslims are driving intolerant agendas.

So, what do you think the concern is?

I wonder what some people are looking at, often.

Old 09-22-2015, 11:20 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,024,551 times
Quote:
To paraphrase a US president 'It's Western values, stupid'.

Old 09-22-2015, 11:22 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,024,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post

I don't care what color or religion people are. I DO care about Western notions of liberal democracy and human rights.

Europeans are relatively tolerant. Many Muslim immigrants are relatively intolerant. Yes, I know that most Muslims are not a problem, but, those non-problematic Muslims are not driving any agenda. The intolerant Muslims are driving intolerant agendas.

Yes, pretty much a no brainer.

Old 09-23-2015, 04:25 AM

59 posts, read 58,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post

I don't really understand the American concern, perhaps they ignore their history.

The waves of Poles, Italians, Jews, Slavics, Arabs, Armenians, Jews, Gypsis, etc, that you received and that make up almost the majority of that conundrum you call "Anglos"...were 100 times more intolerant and ignorant than your run of the mill Syrian.

A lot of Syrians speak a barrage of English and come from their middle and high classes, they are familiar with moern technologies, many of them are doctors and nurses, shopkeepers. They are not, for the most, downtrodden masses.

Do you think that Germans are dumb?

Religious? Those people come flying from religion, as Iranians, and are not comparable to Capadoccian Turks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe