Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 07:56 PM

119 posts, read 207,189 times

Advertisements

@ NOLA101
When you quote someone, please use the entire quote. Don't manufacture statements!

"I think this a case of the pot calling the kettle black. I don't know where you got your information. You sound like a very ignorant conservative! Yes there are cheap apartments and they are all subsidized. Not just anyone can get into that kind of place. You have to meet certain criteria. For section eight, it's even harder. You seem to think that all poor people in the US get subsidized housing. You are very very much mistaken! Just ask any homeless family.
Then your little snide comment about college. Once again you are picking information from who knows where. To get financial aid for college, again you must qualify. They don't just throw money at you! Trust me, I worked my way through school, because I didn't qualify! For someone not born into a wealthy family, it is very hard to get into an American college! Another conservative lie, is that poor people get into school for free. Those grants, they are so want to get rid of, only fall to the best students. And yes I know, European Universities are not that easy to get into either. But at least if you meet the requirements it is free. No so in the good ole USA! And you say 75% get financial aid. Do you know what percentage of that 75% get so far into debt, that they struggle just to survive after college? You my friend are an American joke!"

No my reply was not nice. It wasn't meant to be. But when you quote someone, please quote them in entirety!

I did not agree with you on anything. I simply said you evidently think that all poor people get public housing. That was an assumption on my part. I did not bring up education either, that was DRRO. Yet you lumped it all together as if It were my statement.

Hey I don't want a flame war. I simply wanted some feedback about apartment hunting in Leipzig. I chose it for my own reasons. I've also looked at Dusseldorf. I was told by friends in Berlin, that I would not like it. They know me, more than you do. They said they couldn't tell me much about Leipzig other than it had qualities that I like. You somehow think I am a stupid American looking for a cheaper place to live. I have liked Germany for years.

Your are correct that I do not like Florida. I have never liked it. I live here because my parents were here. When their health started to falter, they asked me to come. What could I do? I'm their only kid. I have been sole caregiver now for twelve years. I am simply looking at places that I might enjoy living in. Am I not allowed to do that? Like I said, I have both American and German passports, I can live wherever I damned please. So long as i can afford to.

I'm not looking to discuss socio economic issues. I was simply asking about apartment rentals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2015, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
OP, I understand where you are coming from. You might also want to consider Berlin and Dusseldorf as they fit your criteria; although I don't know how they would compare in cost.
@James
I have already checked both out. I have a long relationship with Berlin. Have been watching rents go up and up. I have been pretty much priced out. Yet there are still a few affordable places, mostly in Marzahn. I don't want to live in Marzahn, it would be like living here. Albeit they would be playing Schlager.

Old 09-21-2015, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Berlin doesn't have a great economy, though, and housing is fairly expensive. Düsseldorf has both a strong economy and fairly reasonable housing costs (outside the center).
NOLA,
I think I might be understanding what you are saying. However most places in the US that I can afford, have poor economies as well. The median income where I currently live is in the $27000 range. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_Richey,_Florida Outside of Miami, Florida is not an affluent state.

I'm not ignorant. I simply have some dreams, before I die. I am 67, and yes I still have dreams. I'm not some dumb kid though.

Please accept my apologies, for arguing with you.

Old 09-27-2015, 08:17 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,107,777 times
Why did you cross Dusseldorf off your list? I think it would fit your criteria better than Leipzig.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe