Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 12:47 PM

119 posts, read 206,950 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving to Leipzig. Have been planning it now for a few years. I have wondered however, just how affordable it actually is.

I subscribe to both ImmobilenScout24 as well as Immonet so I regularly peruse what is available. I am looking in the lowere range sector. While I still see many apartments listed in the 200-250 Euro range ( kalt ) there seem to be at least 75% listed at much higher rents. I realize much, depends upon the area. Many of the cheaper apartments are in less desirable areas, but I see places listed for that in places like Zentrum as well as Gohlis.

Anybody here live in Leipzig? Someone who could tell me it it's really possible to find apartments this low? I really don't want to go there searching, only to find that these rental listings are just come-ons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2015, 12:53 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,330,601 times
Leipzig is very affordable for German big-city standards. It's almost certainly the cheapest German city with 500k+ people.

If you're asking "why", Leipzig is in the former East Germany, and real estate in the former East Germany is almost always cheap (excepting Berlin) for a variety of reasons. More or less it's because the region has population loss, the weakest economy in Germany, the lowest wages in Germany, and no immigrants or expats driving up prices. Leipzig is also kind of a bland city (IMO) and doesn't really get many tourists or visitors.

So, yeah, if you wanna live in a big German city at the lowest possible price, Leipzig is your best option. If you want a super beautiful or desirable or cosmopolitan city, it's a bad option.

Old 09-19-2015, 01:53 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,930,081 times
It's not just Leipzig or other cities in Eastern Germany which are cheap, in Western Germany the Ruhr Area and the areas bordering the Netherlands are cheap too. And there are more areas which are very cheap. Berlin is still very affordable too compared to other Western cities of its size.

Generally, Germany is a very cheap country to live, and way cheaper than the US and the Netherlands, although it can get tricky with health insurance or when buying a house.

Old 09-19-2015, 02:00 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,330,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
It's not just Leipzig or other cities in Eastern Germany which are cheap, in Western Germany the Ruhr Area and the areas bordering the Netherlands are cheap too. And there are more areas which are very cheap. Berlin is still very affordable too compared to other Western cities of its size.
Yeah, the Ruhr area is fairly cheap too, but not nearly as cheap as Leipzig. The Ruhr is the cheapest urban environment in the former West Germany. But again, there are reasons. Cities like Essen and Dortmund and Duisburg have poor economies and are not very attractive or popular cities.
Quote:
Generally, Germany is a very cheap country to live, and way cheaper than the US and the Netherlands, although it can get tricky with health insurance or when buying a house.
Not true. Home prices in Germany are much higher, on average, than in the U.S. And consumer goods and tax rates are also much higher in Germany than in the U.S., while salaries are generally lower (which is why most Germans rent).

Old 09-19-2015, 02:09 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,490,401 times
How affordable are the apartment rentals?

Old 09-19-2015, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Not true. Home prices in Germany are much higher, on average, than in the U.S. And consumer goods and tax rates are also much higher in Germany than in the U.S., while salaries are generally lower (which is why most Germans rent).
I've lived in Germany, the Netherlands, the US, and another country and Germany has by far the lowest costs of living. It is not even worth the discussion. You won't find apartments for 300 - 400 euros in the US, not even in the worst crime ridden cities. And even if you find something at that price, you'll be in immediate danger. That's why the OP started this topic I guess, he sees immoscout24.de or immowelt.de and asks himself as an American 'how can it be this cheap'?

It isn't just rents but housing costs, groceries, health care and insurance, mobile phone plans, internet, cable, transportation, personal care items, college(free in Germany, will cost you at least 100 - 200k in the US). Except for some luxery products, the day to day expenses are much lower in Germany.

Old 09-19-2015, 02:13 PM

Quote:

Where are the areas that are very cheap?

also what do you think rent prices would be in a neighborhood like this?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ge...e85d6b8e91e55b

Old 09-19-2015, 02:14 PM

Quote:
I've lived in Germany, the Netherlands, the US, and another country and Germany has by far the lowest costs of living. It is not even worth the discussion. You'll never find apartments for 300 - 400 euros in the US, not even in the worst crime ridden cities. That's why the OP started this topic I guess, he sees immoscout24.de or immowelt.de and asks himself as an American 'how can it be this cheap'?

It isn't just rents but housing costs, groceries, health care and insurance, mobile phone plans, internet, cable, transportation, personal care items, college(free in Germany, will cost you at least 100 - 200k in the US). Except for some luxery products, the day to day expenses are much lower in Germany.
Does that include everything? like utilities and stuff

Old 09-19-2015, 02:20 PM

1,704 posts, read 1,836,989 times
I was just recently for the second time in Leipzig, a week or so ago and I didn't like it, for some reason it was way too congested with cars and didn't strike me with nice visuals. I'd rather look at Dresden than Leipzig.

Old 09-19-2015, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Where are the areas that are very cheap?

also what do you think rent prices would be in a neighborhood like this?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ge...e85d6b8e91e55b
It's typically this Plattenbau and the Eastern German style high rises which are cheap. They would not be my first choice to live. Actually German cities with the exception of the nice historic ones like Tuebingen or Heidelberg are pretty dull and ugly. I believe some of the buildings in your link would probably be very cheap unless they are really in the heart of down town.

Kaltmiete does not include utilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe